Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #166
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I remember having problems with the Fontin font, and when I tried another one (Georgia) it worked fine.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #167
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Okay, did some more tinkering and have discovered that my sony simply isn't flashing the fonts properly.
I honestly don't know how to help you. The only advice I can give you is to double-check that you are performing everything correctly.

Reflash with the Sony firmware and carefully go through the entire procedure again. And as Ea said, try a different font.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #168
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
At least I can tell you it can be done, because I did it... And it didn't require more exotic steps than following the excellent guide by Valloric (hi dude, thanks for this !).
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #169
IDSmoker
IDSmoker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & Nook STR
Very clear guide, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedevon View Post
BTW, just tried this out and it seems that now to Save As in FontCreator you need to buy a full version.
I have also run into this problem.

Can anyone suggest an alternative to paying $80 to change the name of the font?
IDSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #170
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDSmoker View Post
Can anyone suggest an alternative to paying $80 to change the name of the font?
As others have stated earlier, you can find the older evaluation version of Font Creator on the web.
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #171
IDSmoker
IDSmoker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & Nook STR
Thanks again!

<note to self: remember to try alternate spellings when searching... "FontCreator" <> "Font Creator">
IDSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #172
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I am wondering if the problem lies within my font file. I legally own caecilia (for other uses) and have tried reconverting it to ttf several times (faithfully following the instructions) to see if that is the problem. Could someone please PM me about possibly sending their copy of converted caecilia that they know works so I can isolate that from my apparent failure in changing the font?
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:25 AM   #173
joedevon
Enthusiast
joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
As others have stated earlier, you can find the older evaluation version of Font Creator on the web.
I don't know how I missed that! Now I got it working great,thanks!
joedevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #174
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Well, I have no idea what is really going on. I have tried some other fonts, even some that have been used successfully by others. I have followed the directions in the guide without deviation and even with deviation (like replacing the fonts in font.1, font.2 and font.3 so they are ALL the same user supplied versions). I have tried reflashing and not reflashing to the base sony firmware. I have made sure that all the files on the sd card are fresh every time. I have tried on both Mac and Win systems. For some reason, the prscustomizer will NOT change my base font (although I can make all the other changes I want). I will remain happy with the mods I have succeeded with and will continue to enjoy reading books on my reader.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and all the effort they have gone through to try and help me. Even though I have not succeeded in changing my base font, I have enjoyed the learning process and the knowledge I have gained about the reader, it's operating system, and all the volunteer work people have put into to software and guides for modifying our readers. Again, thank you for your time and work.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #175
joedevon
Enthusiast
joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Well, I have no idea what is really going on. I have tried some other fonts, even some that have been used successfully by others. I have followed the directions in the guide without deviation and even with deviation (like replacing the fonts in font.1, font.2 and font.3 so they are ALL the same user supplied versions). I have tried reflashing and not reflashing to the base sony firmware. I have made sure that all the files on the sd card are fresh every time. I have tried on both Mac and Win systems. For some reason, the prscustomizer will NOT change my base font (although I can make all the other changes I want). I will remain happy with the mods I have succeeded with and will continue to enjoy reading books on my reader.
Haven't followed your travails but I happened to have had a hidden file on my sdcard and it didn't work the first time. Make sure in explorer hidden files are visible and deleted from the SD before starting. You probably did but thought I'd mention it just in case.
joedevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #176
stranjer
n00b
stranjer began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
thanks for the guide Valloric, I really appreciate your work and it works like a charm.

I only have one question:
Since I've changed the font to caecilia and flashed the reader, for some reason I'm missing a couple of lines from the text on the bottom of the page.On some books even on the smallest size on some only if I enlarge to medium or large.Did it happen to everyone else? Is this something to do with the books I have on the ereader already?
If not, what did I do wrong?

Any help is appreciated
stranjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #177
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranjer View Post
Since I've changed the font to caecilia and flashed the reader, for some reason I'm missing a couple of lines from the text on the bottom of the page.
This has come up many times. From the Guide, step four:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Font changing guide
With incorrectly paginated books, you may find while reading that some of the lines from the previous page appear on the next one, or that some of the lines are missing (it depends on the size of the characters of the new font compared to the old one).
Immediately below that is a technique for fixing this. You can do it quicker by deleting the files cache.xml (or media.xml) on the Reader.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #178
stranjer
n00b
stranjer began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Valloric..I was playing around with the reader late night so did'nt read the second part of the guide..done it now, works great..

you made my day!!!

Last edited by stranjer; 07-13-2009 at 02:00 PM.
stranjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #179
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Excuse me if this has been asked before:
Is it possible to turn font anti-aliasing OFF. I've switched to Liberation fonts using this guide, which I really enjoy, but I've noticed that font antialiasing makes text look fuzzier and have less contrast.
Can we do this to our readers?
Thanks!
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 AM   #180
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
I wonder - do we have a way of getting real italics and bold for LRF/RTF/TXT files yet?
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote