Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
New covers not showing!

As the topic says, all of a sudden, when I sideload a new epub, the cover is not shown. Not in "bookshelf", screensaver or on the startpage, but if I open the book, the cover is shown.
To my knowledge, I haven't done anything different than before. You can see what the screensaver looks like on the image enclosed.
Please help!

Edit, I loaded a couple of new epubs on the memorycard in the reader instead, and that worked! How can that be?

Last edited by Number9; 07-02-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The first thing I would try, if you're sure these epubs are properly formed, is a power cycle (not sleep/unsleep, but fully off). Then logging out of your Kobo account on the device, and logging back in again. This will rebuild the database.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:06 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The screenshot is no longer there, but I assume the cover was the default cover used by the ereader which has the title and the format in the middle. This is used when for whatever reason a cover can't be extracted or generated. So, it is used for:

- Formats that do not have anything that could be used as a cover. TXT is one of these.
- Sideloaded kepubs that do not have the cover image defined correctly in the OPF.
- A fallback if something goes wrong.

Occasionally I hit the last option. In almost all cases, a restart will display the correct cover. Or opening another book and back to the first. I don't have a pattern, so just ignore it.

My guess is that this was the case for you changing to the SD card fixed it. As covers are not stored for books on the SD card, they will be regenerated when needed, so that will mean the cover is more likely to be correct.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:43 AM   #4
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, I wonder where the screenshot went?! But here it is again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150702_195944.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	139949  
Old 07-03-2015, 05:45 AM   #5
Number9
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The first thing I would try, if you're sure these epubs are properly formed, is a power cycle (not sleep/unsleep, but fully off). Then logging out of your Kobo account on the device, and logging back in again. This will rebuild the database.
I did a restart that didn't help. But if I log out of the account, won't my collections be erased? I did that about a year ago and had to start from scratch with all my collections.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:40 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
Hmm, I wonder where the screenshot went?! But here it is again.
That's what I thought it was.
Quote:
I did a restart that didn't help. But if I log out of the account, won't my collections be erased? I did that about a year ago and had to start from scratch with all my collections.
Yes, if you log out and back in, it will reset everything and reprocess the books.

I you use calibre, you can try my Kobo Utilities to delete the stored covers for the book. Then restart the device to clear the memory cache. That should get the cover regenerated when it is needed.

If that doesn't fix it, I don't know. The device generates epub covers from the first page of the book. If that displays OK on the device, the cover image should generate. I could see a problem if the space in the main memory was running out, but I think there would be worse problems if that was the case. The other possibility is a problem writing to the card. But, again, I would expect more problems if the card was failing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:38 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I strongly and vigorously recommend using Calibre to manage your collections. I guess I kinda assumed you were already. Sorry bout that. Not only is it quicker and easier, but it makes it trivial to recreate your collections should your device need a factory reset, or be stolen, or break.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
Number9
Dude

I have all my books in calibre, but I haven't gotten around to learn how to make collections there yet. So I'm doing them manually in the Kobo.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
In Calibre, go into Preferences, Plugins, Device Interface Plugins, and scroll down to the Kobo plugin and double click it to open up the options.

You'll see an option to "Create Bookshelves", check it. In the box next to it enter:
series, tags

Whenever you send books to your Kobo readers, they'll automatically be put into collections based on the series names and tags that you have entered in Calibre.

It couldn't be simpler to do.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
Number9
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
In Calibre, go into Preferences, Plugins, Device Interface Plugins, and scroll down to the Kobo plugin and double click it to open up the options.

You'll see an option to "Create Bookshelves", check it. In the box next to it enter:
series, tags

Whenever you send books to your Kobo readers, they'll automatically be put into collections based on the series names and tags that you have entered in Calibre.

It couldn't be simpler to do.
Thank you so much!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:52 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Or, if you prefer to create your own shelves and leave Tags as it is, read the sticky in the Kobo forum about shelf management.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #12
bballuk
bballuk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've only just started having the same problem on my Kobo Mini all was working fine and then all of a sudden all new books i send to device do not have cover i have to go into kobo utilities plugin and select the new books and click upload covers.

The only thing i can think of that's changed since this problem poped up is i updated to latest version on calibre im think of downgrading if possible and try and sending books my be a bug.

edit: sorry about bumping old topic did not mean to, my problem with covers was low space/memory.

Last edited by bballuk; 07-18-2016 at 07:24 PM.
bballuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballuk View Post
I've only just started having the same problem on my Kobo Mini all was working fine and then all of a sudden all new books i send to device do not have cover i have to go into kobo utilities plugin and select the new books and click upload covers.

The only thing i can think of that's changed since this problem poped up is i updated to latest version on calibre im think of downgrading if possible and try and sending books my be a bug.

edit: sorry about bumping old topic did not mean to, my problem with covers was low space/memory.

how much free space is left on the device?

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote