Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Question Changing fonts and CSS on PRS-T1 like PRS+?

I thought it was worth making a separate thread about trying to find a way to create a PRS+ like "User CSS" for the T1. There's been a little discussion in the PRS+ thread at here, here and here, but no real progress unfortunately.

In the last PRS+ post I listed, I said:

I've found a file on the reader called /system/lib/libreadercore.so. Inside that, there is the text res:///userStyle.css. I've tried putting a userStyle.css in / (the root directory), /data, /system and /mnt/sdcard and none of these appear to work.

I've pulled apart /system/app/EbookReader.apk and system/app/EbookReader.odex but these don't seem to reference CSS much - it looks like everything is handled in /system/lib/libreadercore.so. I'll dig around in there a bit more...

Following on from that and using some tools Morkl posted here I've further pulled apart the EbookReader.apk and EbookReader.odex files and found a reference to a method called getDocumentCSS() which looks like it builds up @font-face statements based on the current font. Unfortuantely I can't see an easy way to override anything yet.

One thing I have found is that there are multiple places in the EbookReader files where the list of fonts is hard coded (Amasis, FrutigerNeue, PalatinoNova, ReallyNo2, UniversNext, Verdana), and that Japanese models have an extra two hard coded fonts (Mincho and Gothic). It really looks like there's no way to add extra fonts to the current Sony reader app without a lot of work.

Looks like it's back to digging inside of /system/lib/libreadercore.so which isn't as easy as looking inside the apk/odex files.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Maybe this will also help to solve the problem of the bold/italics disappearing when you select a different font in the Sony default reader app? Without the bold/italics fix, the font selection feature is basically useless. The fact that Sony even mentions this bug in the manual is just mind-boggling.
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soseono View Post
Maybe this will also help to solve the problem of the bold/italics disappearing when you select a different font in the Sony default reader app? Without the bold/italics fix, the font selection feature is basically useless. The fact that Sony even mentions this bug in the manual is just mind-boggling.
The raw code looks like it should be generating regular/bold/italic/bolditalic font face CSS directives, but unfortunately we can't see what those generated font-face lines are.

As you say, that Sony mentions this as a bug means that something isn't working as expected, and it really shouldn't be too hard to do right (at Sony's end).

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
The raw code looks like it should be generating regular/bold/italic/bolditalic font face CSS directives, but unfortunately we can't see what those generated font-face lines are.

As you say, that Sony mentions this as a bug means that something isn't working as expected, and it really shouldn't be too hard to do right (at Sony's end)
It's hard to imagine how Sony have managed to generate the @font-faces incorrectly when many of us have managed OK. It's only 4 lines of fixed text per font when all's said and done!!!

Good luck with your digging
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Yes, finding a simple fix for this would win you many kudos.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Device: PRS-T1
These are the @font-face directives that the Sony software generates for Amasis:
Code:
@font-face{ font-family: serif; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf);}
@font-face{ font-family: serif; font-variant:small-caps; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf);}
@font-face{ font-family: serif; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G-Italic.otf);}
@font-face{ font-family: serif; font-style:normal; font-weight:bold; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G-Bold.otf);}
@font-face{ font-family: serif; font-style:italic; font-weight:bold; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G-BoldItalic.otf);}
@font-face{ font-family: sans-serif; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf);}
@font-face{ font-family: sans-serif; font-variant:small-caps; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf);}
@font-face{ font-family: sans-serif; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G-Italic.otf);}
@font-face{ font-family: sans-serif; font-style:normal; font-weight:bold; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G-Bold.otf);}
@font-face{ font-family: sans-serif; font-style:italic; font-weight:bold; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G-BoldItalic.otf);}
I put them in a sample document and tested it, and italics and bold did not work. Turns out the following lines break things:
Code:
@font-face{ font-family: serif; font-variant:small-caps; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf);}
and/or
@font-face{ font-family: sans-serif; font-variant:small-caps; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf);}
Any CSS gurus here that know how to fix them?

In the meantime, here is a EbookReader.apk with the small-caps bits removed:
http://morkl.se/reader/readermod_v1.zip (has its own package name, so it installs as normal APK and the stock reader does not need to be removed)
I tested it with a sample document and all the internal fonts seem to work with bold/italics, via the font selector.
Morkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2
Awesome! Great job Morkl, on this as well as on your homescreen mod! Some karma coming your way

I am no css expert, but I see nothing wrong with the small-caps definitions. So my guess would be that the reader lib itself can't actually handle small-caps in @font-face (which seems silly, but I have no better explanation).

By the way, how did you get it to log the css? I wanted to try that myself, but I didn't see what I could do with LogAdapter.debug right away.

Last edited by quisvir; 01-14-2012 at 06:46 PM.
quisvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Morkl

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge the ADE reading app doesn't support the @font-face font-variant:small-caps option. This may be because the current epub standard doesn't include support either. That being the case, I'm not sure it's fixable other than by removing the small-caps items as you've done.

Just so I fully understand, I need to root my T1 to do this and your mod becomes a second reading app?

Suppose I decided I will never use any of the 3 sans-serif fonts (Frutiger, Univers, Verdana). Might it be possible to create a modified apk which substitutes the @font-faces of 3 of my own font choices pointing to external fonts stored in /fonts in internal memory by using
url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/mycustom.otf).
Then I would be able to access my custom fonts via the Frutiger, Univers, Verdana standard options. Or am I being over-hopeful

Well done to you for tracking down the problem.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-14-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisvir View Post
Awesome! Great job Morkl, on this as well as on your homescreen mod! Some karma coming your way

I am no css expert, but I see nothing wrong with the small-caps definitions. So my guess would be that the reader lib itself can't actually handle small-caps in @font-face (which seems silly, but I have no better explanation).

By the way, how did you get it to log the css? I wanted to try that myself, but I didn't see what I could do with LogAdapter.debug right away.
Last time I checked, the Adobe renderer didn't support font-variant: small-caps. I don't know whether this is true for the renderer used on the T1, or whether Sony are trying to employ some font resizing trick or what...
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
This is a great progress!! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
I put them in a sample document and tested it, and italics and bold did not work. Turns out the following lines break things:
Code:
and/or
Any CSS gurus here that know how to fix them?
Here's what I found: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-fonts/#propdef-font-variant

"Like other shorthands, using ‘font-variant’ resets all font feature properties to their initial values."

So maybe this is why including font-variant in the @font-face rule breaks all other definitions?

Does the small-cap text display correctly without the css lines above?

Last edited by soseono; 01-14-2012 at 10:15 PM.
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I think the current readers only support CSS 2
Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #12
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur

Awesome indeed Morkl!

The holy grail would be to find something that works without rooting, but rooting is so easy and it looks like these font issues can be fixed (relatively?) easily by modifying the Sony apps.

Do you know anything about dissecting shared libraries? /system/lib/libreadercore.so contains a reference to res:///userStyle.css, but I haven't yet been able to figure out how that is used.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by soseono View Post
This is a great progress!! Thanks!

Here's what I found: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-fonts/#propdef-font-variant

"Like other shorthands, using ‘font-variant’ resets all font feature properties to their initial values."

So maybe this is why including font-variant in the @font-face rule breaks all other definitions?

Does the small-cap text display correctly without the css lines above?
Nope, can't get small-caps to render.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quisvir View Post

Yep, it seems like small-caps just doesn't work.

I used android.util.Log and watched the system log to get the data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Last time I checked, the Adobe renderer didn't support font-variant: small-caps. I don't know whether this is true for the renderer used on the T1, or whether Sony are trying to employ some font resizing trick or what...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Morkl

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge the ADE reading app doesn't support the @font-face font-variant:small-caps option. This may be because the current epub standard doesn't include support either. That being the case, I'm not sure it's fixable other than by removing the small-caps items as you've done.

Just so I fully understand, I need to root my T1 to do this and your mod becomes a second reading app?

Suppose I decided I will never use any of the 3 sans-serif fonts (Frutiger, Univers, Verdana). Might it be possible to create a modified apk which substitutes the @font-faces of 3 of my own font choices pointing to external fonts stored in /fonts in internal memory by using
url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/mycustom.otf).
Then I would be able to access my custom fonts via the Frutiger, Univers, Verdana standard options. Or am I being over-hopeful

Well done to you for tracking down the problem.
If the renderer doesn't support it I guess there is not much that can be done. However, if anyone figures out how to get small-caps to work, generating the working CSS is no biggie.

That is correct, root is required. I could make a package that just replaces the stock reader app, but the installation process would be the same as rooting, so depending on why one avoids rooting it might not make a difference. Still, would this be of use?

Custom fonts is next on the agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Awesome indeed Morkl!

The holy grail would be to find something that works without rooting, but rooting is so easy and it looks like these font issues can be fixed (relatively?) easily by modifying the Sony apps.

Do you know anything about dissecting shared libraries? /system/lib/libreadercore.so contains a reference to res:///userStyle.css, but I haven't yet been able to figure out how that is used.

Cheers,
Simon.
Yep, this was an easy fix as soon as i realized what caused the problem.

I'll take a look at libreadercore.so if I find a nice arm disassembler (the more can be done without rooting the better, i reckon), but for now I'll see to putting some kind of custom CSS option that is injected in the Reader app along with the custom fonts settings.
Morkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That is correct, root is required. I could make a package that just replaces the stock reader app, but the installation process would be the same as rooting, so depending on why one avoids rooting it might not make a difference. Still, would this be of use?
Assuming I am not unique, my two reasons for avoiding rooting so far are:
  • Lack of previous experience in the 'app world'. I don't have a smart phone or a tablet so confidence in using a new environment is low.
  • Although I can see that it can be fun to push the boundaries with a new toy, I have not seen a 'killer' reading app which makes it worth the risk of stepping out of the comfort zone. Now if someone were to offer the Sony PRSPlus bells & whistles as an app, I'd root in a flash (no pun intended ).
Quote:
Custom fonts is next on the agenda
Good luck! I don't know whether you already read one of the other threads, but if you manually add a statement (credit to snarkophilus)
Code:
@import url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/css/my.css);
to the top of the css file in an epub then the T1 will use everything in the int.mem user-accessible file [intmem:]/css/my.css (which can contain all the @font-faces and any other custom css) when displaying the epub. If you get the contents of your custom css file correct it won't interfere with the standard (or your fixed) select-a-font feature. The drawback is that, so far, the only way to edit each epub is manually. If this @import could be part of the Sony reader app generated css, this may be a way forward. Then all that is needed is another app on the T1 which will display a list of css files in directory [intmem:]/css and when one is selected copy it to /css/my.css -- instant custom font change. It does work, I've been using it. It's a bit like the way the PRSPlus custom firmware works on the earlier Sonys.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
So, seriously? This fixes the reader italics bug?

More importantly YOU FIXED THE GODDAMN BUG BY CHANGING TWO LINES OF CODE AND SONY HASN'T FIXED IT THEMSELVES YET???!???one!?

EDIT: Also I fear it crashed shortly after I started fiddling with it, so it might not be there quite yet.

Last edited by Rand Brittain; 01-15-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, fonts