Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
rubdottocom
rubdottocom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
Convert simple HTML files to Kindle format (.mobi?)

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to do a simple utility to send web articles to my Kindle.

I played with Readability and so, but my HTML files miss the images because are external links (obviously).

Then I realize that I need to embed images and html to another format and that send .html files isn't a good idea.

I'll try to understand some calibre code, but is a really big project and I'm very newbie with Python.

Could you give me some advice about how to convert .html files to another "more embedded" format to achieve to send full articles to my Kindle?

Thank you :-)
rubdottocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As long as all the relevant files are local to your PC, you can simply add the master HTML file to Calibre. This will pull in any associated images and other linked files and store the results in Calibre as a ZIP file. Then use Calibre to convert this to the MOBI format which is a single file including all images, etc and can be used on the Kindle.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
rubdottocom
rubdottocom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
Thanks, but my question was about the programmatically way :-)

Do you know "where" Calibre do that?
rubdottocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not sure what you mean about the "programatic" way then? You did not make it clear what you are actually trying to do from a workflow point of view.

Depending on what you are trying to do it may be possible to achieve what you want by making use of the Calibre command line utilities. Alternatively you might be able to make use of the Recipe sub-system.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, html, kindle, mobi