Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #76
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Amazon went ePub with Adept DRM, I think they'd be able to directly compete with others. But if Amazon is going to come out with eBooks that are in yet a different format, then we'll maybe see people jump ship.
In the USA market, not sure about international market, the major publishers all agree that at least 67% of the eBooks they sell are sold through Amazon. It matters NOT how many bookstores sell ePubs as the total volume of mobi books out number all other formats 2 to 1. Compete my a$$, Amazon OWNS the eBook market here in the USA!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #77
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
If Amazon went ePub with Adept DRM, I think they'd be able to directly compete with others. But if Amazon is going to come out with eBooks that are in yet a different format, then we'll maybe see people jump ship.
There's zero chance of Amazon using Adept DRM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #78
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
The FAQ quoted earlier only mentions "latest generation" Kindle devices, and apps. Which is, by omission, essentially a statement that the K3 and prior won't support it.
K3 is now KK and is very much still considered a current reader. I suspect it will support the new format.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #79
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Nope...

Quote:
I take it as the K3 and K4 will support KF8. But no idea if the DXG will or not.

So this would mean that the DX, K1 & K2 will be out and owners will have to upgrade or be SOL.
K3 is not the latest generation. I take it to mean that ALL Kindles will support .mobi/.azw and only the Kindle Fire, K4 and K4 Touch will support .kf8.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
K3 is not the latest generation. I take it to mean that ALL Kindles will support .mobi/.azw and only the Kindle Fire, K4 and K4 Touch will support .kf8.
The K3 is still being sold under the name Kindle Keyboard. So I would expect it to support KF8 since it is still a current model.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #81
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
The Kindle Keyboard is still being sold, and Amazon is not currently selling the Kindle Touch outside of the United States.

That means that if you want a Kindle with 3G then your only choice is a Kindle Keyboard 3G.

They've been very ambiguous about the exact details, but I'd be quite surprised if the Kindle Keyboard is not updated, simply because of the install base.

Amazon seems to have gone to a lot of effort with the Kindle Keyboard - renaming it rather than simply dumping it, and continuing to sell it in all of their markets.

It has also just seen a software update adding functionality.

I don't really think it can be put in the "previous generation" category just yet.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #82
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
What all of those who are saying "Amazon is doing this to force upgrades" are missing is that Amazon is a content company. The device is merely a means of delivery. It is not in their interest to force you to upgrade as the more Kindles tied to the store that are out in the wild, the more content they can sell. Why do you think they're so cheap? If they could give them away for free, I'm sure they would!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #83
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
My guess: no JS support, yet. But it will come later.
Oh goody. I look forward to the boredom of reading a book to be spiced up by the worry over whether it contains malware.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #84
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
The Kindle Keyboard is still being sold, and Amazon is not currently selling the Kindle Touch outside of the United States.

That means that if you want a Kindle with 3G then your only choice is a Kindle Keyboard 3G.
And the DX is still being sold, and if you want a Kindle with a big eInk screen the DX is the only choice...

Doesn't change anything on DX being 2nd generation and K3 being 3rd generation and Amazon just talks about KF8 for "latest generation".
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #85
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
They show an example of a 'Kindle Text Pop Up'—but I think that can be done with 'pure' HTML5/CSS. If it supported JavaScript, then they'd be showing animation examples as well.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #86
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
And the DX is still being sold, and if you want a Kindle with a big eInk screen the DX is the only choice...

Doesn't change anything on DX being 2nd generation and K3 being 3rd generation and Amazon just talks about KF8 for "latest generation".
There's a huge difference between those products though.

The Kindle Keyboard (3) is by far the most successful product Amazon has ever sold (not just Kindles).

The Kindle DX is the least popular Kindle product they've sold.

From the point of view of Amazon and the publishers, supporting the Kindle Keyboard should be a no brainer.

They'll instantly get a HUGE market for the new format, and that's the important thing - not whether or not people "upgrade".

Saying to the vast majority of Kindle owners:

"This book will work on your device, but it wont look very good" is not a great sales tactic.

Last edited by Daveoc64; 10-21-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #87
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I guess it confuses me that Amazon primarily is a book seller, but they choose a format incompatible with every other device out there (other than multi-purpose tablets and smartphones with the Kindle app). If they are subsidizing their Kindle hardware, it makes sense to me to sell content that can be viewable on other e-ink readers, especially since epub is basically the de facto standard in every other market other than the U.S. But I guess they estimate (and I'm sure their guess is better than mine) that they actually do better by having their own format, closing out other hardware, and keeping consumers from buying books from other sellers.

But because my library is wholly epub, I stay away from Kindle, and am locked out from buying Amazon books (unless I de-drm).
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #88
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I wouldn't assume that the KK is the latest generation - while it's still being sold, it does use the version 3 firmware. On the other hand, it does seem to be treated for sales purposes like a "current" Kindle.

In terms of communicating clearly, though, Amazon has failed.

Maybe they should rethink becoming a publisher. :-)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #89
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
HTML and JavaScript are separate technologies.

Just because people have started lumping everything into the label "HTML5", it doesn't mean that's a technical reality.
Yes, I know they are technically separate, but what does HTML5 add over HTML4? It adds the <canvas> element, drag and drop functionality, offline storage, etc. Without the support of javascript these additional elements would be of absolutely no use. They go hand-in-hand.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #90
Daveoc64
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I wouldn't assume that the KK is the latest generation - while it's still being sold, it does use the version 3 firmware. On the other hand, it does seem to be treated for sales purposes like a "current" Kindle.

In terms of communicating clearly, though, Amazon has failed.

Maybe they should rethink becoming a publisher. :-)
This is obviously true. We're going to have to wait and see, but I think it's far from being certain that the Kindle Keyboard will not see an update.