Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Question Where Apple books go after iTunes sync

Ok...

So I will admit it, I am a little confused about syncing my two iPads 2 with my new Mac air. I'm totally new to Os X and still a newbie on iTunes, so adding a second iPad to the equation (a gift to my wife) made things more complicated than I thought.

I decided to use one login account on my Mac air so when wife has to sync her new iPad, she connects the device and we just ensure her login is there. So far, so good.

My main question is: on iTunes (left menu or options), what is the difference between "Library" and "Store" ? Is "Store" and its content, and online catalog? Or in other words, if I delete something from "Purchased", is gone for good, like an Apple book, or I can recover it later?

What happens if I delete a book or a song from "Library", can I re-download it again later?

I'm a bit confused ...

Last edited by jocampo; 07-13-2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Fixing some typos.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Library is what is in your iTunes library on your machine.
Store is a connection to the iTunes store, and contains links to all of the available purchasable content. If you buy something from the Store, it will briefly appear in Downloads, then be available in your Library.
With apps, you can redownload them for free as often as you like. For music and videos, you cannot, you need to keep your own backup copies.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Really? Why I saw like a cloud icon on a song that I bought on my iTunes, on my iPad. I thought that such icon means the song is on the cloud, that I can download anytime and is backed up there as long as was purchased from iTunes.

As a matter of fact, my wife started using iTunes again now that I gave her the iPad. Songs that she bought years ago, when she was in college, just appear there. She thought those were gone because the old laptop she had died then. We were charged though an we are arguing that with Apple because technically she paid for that years ago.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Steve Werner
Steve Werner began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Really? Why I saw like a cloud icon on a song that I bought on my iTunes, on my iPad. I thought that such icon means the song is on the cloud, that I can download anytime and is backed up there as long as was purchased from iTunes.

As a matter of fact, my wife started using iTunes again now that I gave her the iPad. Songs that she bought years ago, when she was in college, just appear there. She thought those were gone because the old laptop she had died then. We were charged though an we are arguing that with Apple because technically she paid for that years ago.
You're correct. But this is a new feature, added after the Apple Developer's Conference keynote. It's really the beginning of the iCloud feature set.

You can now re-download Apps, Books, Music, etc. you've purchased before by clicking the "Purchased" button on the right side of the iTunes Store in iTunes.
Steve Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I think if you delete it from your Library, it won't sync any more, which may not be what you want. You should still keep a backup of stuff you've bought from iTunes, I think, just in case.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline

Just wife's decision of buying books and songs from Mr Jobs is driving me crazy.

Well, she re-download some old songs and was charged for same songs again. We're trying to find out why (with customer support)

Now, because I don't want to keep all the music and books on the Mac air, I setup a folder with Samba, on my Ubuntu headless server, and I changed iTunes folder's library to the Samba share.

Whatever she syncs via iTunes, like books, is being copied to the Samba share. Now, I would like to consolidate my own music on same Samba folder, but when importing or dropping on iTunes screen, I notice that the file itself is not being moved, is like a pointer. I am experimenting with an option I found which is called "consolidate" or something; I believe will copy the file itself to the Samba folder instead of showing on iTunes only as a pointer.

Wish she can buy books and songs from Amazon only, we'll be a happy family! hahahahahahaha....
Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #7
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Just wife's decision of buying books and songs from Mr Jobs is driving me crazy.

Well, she re-download some old songs and was charged for same songs again. We're trying to find out why (with customer support)

Now, because I don't want to keep all the music and books on the Mac air, I setup a folder with Samba, on my Ubuntu headless server, and I changed iTunes folder's library to the Samba share.

Whatever she syncs via iTunes, like books, is being copied to the Samba share. Now, I would like to consolidate my own music on same Samba folder, but when importing or dropping on iTunes screen, I notice that the file itself is not being moved, is like a pointer. I am experimenting with an option I found which is called "consolidate" or something; I believe will copy the file itself to the Samba folder instead of showing on iTunes only as a pointer.

Wish she can buy books and songs from Amazon only, we'll be a happy family! hahahahahahaha....
Consolidate will copy the files to the library location (in your case Samba). You should consider enabling the "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library" under Preferences/Advanced. This will copy files automatically to your library location when you add files. You won't have to use Consolidate again.

Tom
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbergman View Post
Consolidate will copy the files to the library location (in your case Samba). You should consider enabling the "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library" under Preferences/Advanced. This will copy files automatically to your library location when you add files. You won't have to use Consolidate again.

Tom
Right!

And after 5 hours of hard work! :-) ... is done. It took a while the process of generating the iTune library and copying the songs from one folder to another, via iTunes I mean. Besides tweaking the Linux permissions without exposing too much either.

The Samba share and permissions are working like a charm and I enable the "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library" option too ( Thanks Tom)

Next time she buys a book or something from Apple and later sync, everything will reside on the Samba share, not locally.

I will probably post my Samba config file later for additional input or in case someone else is interested also.