Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 12-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
hakim
Connoisseur
hakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmos

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840, Sony PRS-505
SDK available

I have already posted in jinke forum and here I'll just copy my post (original post).

First of all, I am not in any way related to Jinke.
Now the main part.

Download
The chinese servers are VERY slow and people report that they don't receive a link for confirming their registration, so I have uploaded the SDK stuff to my website. Here are the links (download only v3sdk if you have linux):
toolchain-20071015
v3sdk-1.2.1.tar.gz

Installing and launching emulator
I am not sure how it is done under windows, but folks using linux, can do it like that:
1) download and extract v3sdk-1.2.1.tar.gz:
Code:
wget http://www.binaryworld.xz.lt/v3sdk-1.2.1.tar.gz; tar zxvf v3sdk-1.2.1.tar.gz
2) Go to the extracted directory and install the required files
Code:
cd v3sdk-1.2.1; sudo ./install
3) Put simlink, which jinke staff forgot to put:
Code:
cd i386/lib/; ln -s libpdf.so.V3 libpdf.so
4) Put some ebooks, mp3s and pics to /root/abook (abook is treated as eReader's SD card)
5) Go to i386/bin and launch the emulator:
Code:
cd ../bin; sudo ./demo.sh
Controls
1)1-8 Selection
2)9 Page up
3)0 Page down
4)y Menu/OK
5)n Cancel/Back

Problems
1) Problems with fonts (lots of errors like: fnt_createfont: /root/fonts/truetype/couri.ttf,20 not found);
2) gif and png images are not listed (though you can open them while in picture viewer mode (you can open picture viewer by opening jpg image));
3) mp3 player doesn't work (shows an error: invalid mp3 device);
4) language preferences are not stored.

Last edited by hakim; 12-12-2007 at 02:11 PM.
hakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakim View Post
I have already posted in jinke forum and here I'll just copy my post (original post).

First of all, I am not in any way related to Jinke.
Now the main part.

Download
The chinese servers are VERY slow and people report that they don't receive a link for confirming their registration, so I have uploaded the SDK stuff to my website. Here are the links (download only v3sdk if you have linux):
toolchain-20071015
v3sdk-1.2.1.tar.gz
I would be very careful of hosting these files elsewhere if I were you - if I understand the developer agreement correctly, you aren't really supposed to be doing that! :P

Quote:
Installing and launching emulator
I am not sure how it is done under windows, but folks using linux, can do it like that:
1) download and extract v3sdk-1.2.1.tar.gz:
Code:
wget http://www.binaryworld.xz.lt/v3sdk-1.2.1.tar.gz; tar zxvf v3sdk-1.2.1.tar.gz
2) Go to the extracted directory and install the required files
Code:
cd v3sdk-1.2.1; sudo ./install
3) Put simlink, which jinke staff forgot to put:
Code:
ln -s i386/lib/libpdf.so.V3 i386/lib/libpdf.so
4) Put some ebooks, mp3s and pics to /root/abook (abook is treated as eReader's SD card)
5) Go to i386/bin and launch the emulator:
Code:
cd i386/bin; sudo ./demo.sh
Something to keep in mind - the SDK installs in /root/ so it would be HIGHLY inadvisable to install this on a production system. I installed my copy inside a QEMU image, as I use Mac OS X so...

What I don't get about the SDK is - how do we install stuff onto an Hanlin Vx reader, or even create an app? I've not gotten round to writing anything yet, as the documentation's kinda just specifications & doesn't exactly tell you how to achieve things.

Ah well...
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2007, 01:33 AM   #3
hakim
Connoisseur
hakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post
I would be very careful of hosting these files elsewhere if I were you - if I understand the developer agreement correctly, you aren't really supposed to be doing that! :P
They customize linux OS for their needs, but don't give out complete source code and they expect me to respect their agreement? Anyway, it's Lithuania here - in worst case my hosting company can ask me to remove the files. BTW, I saw earlier versions of these already hosted on one russian ftp server.

Quote:
Something to keep in mind - the SDK installs in /root/ so it would be HIGHLY inadvisable to install this on a production system. I installed my copy inside a QEMU image, as I use Mac OS X so...
I think for anyone who knows what sudo means it should be obvious that it's not installed in user's home directory...

Quote:
What I don't get about the SDK is - how do we install stuff onto an Hanlin Vx reader, or even create an app? I've not gotten round to writing anything yet, as the documentation's kinda just specifications & doesn't exactly tell you how to achieve things.
I agree. The documentation they provide is not enough.
Also they don't seem to respond to e-mails sent to service AT jinke.com.cn and they don't seem to care what's happening in the forums. "Nice" customer service I would say...
Old 12-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
hakim
Connoisseur

Just found Openinkpot project.
Quote:
OpenInkpot is a project for creating free and open-source Linux distribution for Hanlin eReader and lBook eReader.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakim View Post
Just found Openinkpot project.
Oohh, very interesting! Shame that the direction they're going in isn't the right direction IMHO

Consider this...
They're putting their effort into replacing the firmware with a fully open source one, which is commendable.

However, given the SDK, I think effort would be better spent on developing applications. After all, the Hanlins could be a FAR cheaper alternative to the Iliads, and look what they're doing with the Iliads!

A PDF app.
StarDict
Web browser (Minmo or Dillo) - connectivity is an issue though.
etc!
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2007, 03:29 AM   #6
hakim
Connoisseur

Quote:
They're putting their effort into replacing the firmware with a fully open source one, which is commendable.
90% of the software Hanlin uses is under GPL license (take a look here). So what they are practically doing now is trying to get the source code of all the GPLed software jinke modified for their needs. As jinke is not willing to give the source, openinkpot ultimately is going to contact copyright holders. Take a look at the mailing list for more info.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
jeczmien
Enthusiast
jeczmien began at the beginning.

Device: none/Hanlin V3/Nokia E50
Quote:
Oohh, very interesting! Shame that the direction they're going in isn't the right direction IMHO

However, given the SDK, I think effort would be better spent on developing applications. After all, the Hanlins could be a FAR cheaper alternative to the Iliads, and look what they're doing with the Iliads!
You're right, but...

Have you try SDK they'd supplied?
Suppose you've developed new plugin - how will you load it to V3? Do you know the way? I don't.

Open reader is needed because Jinkie failed as a GPL user and a software vendor (if they give us a way to upload our extensions probably most of developers time goes to new plugins)
jeczmien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:45 AM   #8
paucls
paucls began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
What Linux Distribution I can use for run the SDK?

Hello,

I tried to run the v3 SDK in a VM with CentOS 3.9 and fails:

./nano-X: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3.4' not found (required by ./nano-X)
./bs: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

In what Linux Distribution you test the SDK and run ?

Now I'm going to try in a VM with Debian Etch.
paucls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:33 AM   #9
hakim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paucls View Post
Hello,

I tried to run the v3 SDK in a VM with CentOS 3.9 and fails:

./nano-X: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3.4' not found (required by ./nano-X)
./bs: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

In what Linux Distribution you test the SDK and run ?

Now I'm going to try in a VM with Debian Etch.
I've tried it on ubuntu which is based on debian.

Do you have libstdc++6 and libc6 installed? Is version of libc6 => 2.3.4?
Old 01-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #10
paucls
paucls began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
OK, with Debian Etch 4.0r2 the V3 SDK runs OK.

Thanks hakim !!!

Last edited by paucls; 01-18-2008 at 06:58 AM.
paucls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:31 AM   #11
ottocol
ottocol began at the beginning.

Device: none
uploading plugins to the REAL device

I've been looking the SDK and I see makefiles for compiling plugins as a shared library, but I don't know how could I install this library on the real V3 ¿anybody knows? Jinke forums don't look very dynamic!
ottocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
hakim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocol View Post
I've been looking the SDK and I see makefiles for compiling plugins as a shared library, but I don't know how could I install this library on the real V3 ¿anybody knows? Jinke forums don't look very dynamic!
I suggest writing an e-mail directly (I think there are some people from jinke on this forum too (LVD maybe one of them?) ). Also you might find OpenInkpot project pretty useful
Old 03-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocol View Post
but I don't know how could I install this library on the real V3 ¿anybody knows?
You will need to build new firmware image and flash it to the device.

BTW, there are utilities in our repository for this.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #14
Talisman
Talisman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad :)
IRC log with solution of some problems:
Quote:
2008-03-09T17:10:38 <Talisman> talis@ubuntu-vm:~/v3sdk-1.2.1/i386/bin$ ./demo.sh
2008-03-09T17:10:38 <Talisman> No protocol specified
2008-03-09T17:10:38 <Talisman> nano-X: Can't connect to X11 server
2008-03-09T17:10:38 <Talisman> No protocol specified
2008-03-09T17:10:39 <Talisman> Cannot initialise screen
2008-03-09T17:10:39 <Talisman> nxclient: Can't shmget key 567: No such file or directory
2008-03-09T17:10:39 <Talisman> mount: only root can do that
2008-03-09T17:10:49 <Talisman> what can I do with this problem?
2008-03-09T17:11:02 <jekhor> xhost +
2008-03-09T17:14:12 <Talisman> ?
2008-03-09T17:16:46 <jekhor> execute this command
2008-03-09T17:19:10 <Talisman> vmplanet@ubuntu-vm:/home/talis/v3sdk-1.2.1/i386/bin$ xhost +
2008-03-09T17:19:10 <Talisman> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
2008-03-09T17:19:49 <Talisman> same errors:
2008-03-09T17:19:52 <Talisman> vmplanet@ubuntu-vm:/home/talis/v3sdk-1.2.1/i386/bin$ ./demo.sh
2008-03-09T17:19:52 <Talisman> Cannot bind to named socket
2008-03-09T17:19:52 <Talisman> nxclient: retry connect attempt 1
2008-03-09T17:20:11 <Talisman> are you joking my virtual ps?
2008-03-09T17:22:21 <Talisman> *pc?
2008-03-09T17:22:46 <Talisman> hm... this command allow acess only for X terminal... sorry
2008-03-09T17:36:05 <LunohoD> sudo ./demo.sh
2008-03-09T17:42:00 <Talisman> VERY BIG THX!!!!!
2008-03-09T17:42:05 <Talisman> it is works now!
Talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #15
hakim
Connoisseur

Talisman, just read my first post...