Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #16
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
news flash: supply of sipix displays is delayed by another 3 months.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #17
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
That means the other large screen e-readers will not be out until end of year.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #18
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
news flash: supply of sipix displays is delayed by another 3 months.
Well ..... that still leaves the Adam and the DittoBook. DittoBook is a vizplex screen, isn't it? Maybe there's still hope for something before the middle of summer.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
You can increase the font size of a PDF in the Kindle DX?
It does not support reflow (which is what is usually meant by increasing the font size of a PDF). What you can do is switch to landscape mode, which provides one fixed magnification to fill the screen width, after trimming margins.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #20
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

I have only used the DX briefly. For those who have used it thoroughly, how does it compare to the eDGe displaying PDFs?
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #21
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Well ..... that still leaves the Adam and the DittoBook. DittoBook is a vizplex screen, isn't it? Maybe there's still hope for something before the middle of summer.
It is.
And it is my hope.

Anyway, I'll wait till iRex brings the promised firmware upgrade and then decide whether I go for DR 800 or Dittobook D9.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #22
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Having spent the day, as I spend most days, reading academic papers on an 8.1" reader - many of which papers are double column - I would say it's plenty big enough.
Thanks.

Have you come across a paper which is not comfortably readable on the device?
I'm still apprehensive that 8.1" won't do in any case.
And it is important for me that I can see the whole page at once.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #23
zetareticuli
Addict

I would not buy a Kindle DX unless the PDF features are enhanced. I think that 8.1" is not enough and you definitely need the larger screen. The eDGe is awesome and it has displayed all my technical and scientific papers. I can zoom and it works the same as it would work on a PC. It actually zooms in like a regular PDF reader such as Adobe Reader does an a PC. The problem I have with the eDGe is that it is heavy. I need something lighter for travel.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #24
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
DX has no ePub support. So that leaves it out of consideration. It means that the OP's ePub eBooks won't work on the DX.
calibre will convert them for free (after you remove the drm)
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #25
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
You can increase the font size of a PDF in the Kindle DX? I didn't know that. I don't own one. I have tried it by borrowing it from friends...
you can rotate it and it will fill the width - I have not found a pdf yet that does not render perfectly even with very small type this way although most i can read in portrait
Old 03-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #26
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

Quote:
I would not buy a Kindle DX unless the PDF features are enhanced. I think that 8.1" is not enough and you definitely need the larger screen. The eDGe is awesome and it has displayed all my technical and scientific papers. I can zoom and it works the same as it would work on a PC. It actually zooms in like a regular PDF reader such as Adobe Reader does an a PC. The problem I have with the eDGe is that it is heavy. I need something lighter for travel.
kindle dx has a 9.7 screen the exact same screen that is in the edge
Old 03-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #27
zetareticuli
Addict

I like the Kindle DX. My problem with the Kindle DX are (and this is a matter of opinion, of course)

1. Poor PDF support. I have tried several technical PDFs and they do display fine in portrait and landscape mode. However, there has been a need sometimes for a middle zoom which I have not been able to achieve with the DX. I don't own one that I can use and abuse so I don't know if there is a setting that corrects this problem.

2. No capability of storage expansion. There is limited internal storage that cannot be expanded using external storage media (SD cards, USB, etc).

3. No support for folder structure.

2 is not a show stopper for me. The storage space built-in is plenty for what I need. However, 1 and 3 definitely are. Especially 1. If Amazon go ahead and fix these shortcomings via software updates, I would definitely consider buying a DX as a secondary, more portable large screen e-reader.

As far as other large screen readers, it looks like the Apple iPad will be the first to hit the market and available for purchase on April 3rd. For those who think the iPad classifies as an e-reader device...
Old 03-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #28
devseev
devseev began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I have a Kindle DX and you definitely cannot change font size on a PDF (or reflow PDFs) although you can on .mobi or .azw (kindle format) files. The only way to change the print size is to rotate a portrait PDF to landscape, which gives you a zoom factor roughly equivalent to a true size 8.5 x 11. It's not perfect, but it I find myself using it a lot in the absence of any resizing/reflow/zoom capability.
devseev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:55 AM   #29
frediz
frediz began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Hi,
I currently have a prs505, but for all books that arent mainly text that can be reflowed easily, that is to say, comics, large books with pictures etc that's not usable, and I got fed up to try to use tools to convert, cut, reflow etc
So I considered the idea of buying a large ereader.
For now few readers have large screens, many to come, but only few already on the market at a decent price.
I like the kindle dx, but its pdf handling worries me.
I saw that thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76487 or I may wait for a dittobook.

Homebrew pdf support would be nice, I could bring some help for all that is not low level coding (drivers etc) but I got used on ereaders to up and down developments because of a too small dev community.
(I bought the prs505 hoping that openinkpot effort on it would continue and it stopped quickly)
So for now, I don't know.. gonna ask more about that mupdf effort.

F.
frediz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:59 AM   #30
Franky
Nameless Being

it's a pitty that most of the readers this year are delayed.

Last edited by Franky; 03-15-2010 at 04:04 AM.