Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
hey guys look at this:wonderfull

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wERrc...eature=related
I'm just wondering how this is done ..
any ideas ?
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Polydwarf
Enthusiast
Polydwarf began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7, Cybook Opus
Looks like it's an x-windows redirect (or maybe cygwin can do it too?). Anyways, x-windows can redirect it's output for a program away from the main display of the machine it's running on, and to another one.

It looks like that's what's going on here. The programs are running on the PC in the background; the pc is probably running some form of unix (linux, most likely), but I can't tell for sure (As I said, there may be a possibility that CygWin can do it).

Nifty, from a hacker point of view.. From a practical point of view, I guess I don't really see any. Feel free to correct me on that.

Last edited by Polydwarf; 03-03-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Polydwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
What's the point of it?
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Linux geeks just enjoy doing incredibly geeky things with their devices is all I think, lol. I can't imagine any practical use for having an eInk device as an alternate display. (Think of how many "page turns" it's going through just from constantly updating the loading bar while loading a browser page!) Just a neat, geeky thing to do.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
repods
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
Linux geeks just enjoy doing incredibly geeky things with their devices is all I think, lol. I can't imagine any practical use for having an eInk device as an alternate display. (Think of how many "page turns" it's going through just from constantly updating the loading bar while loading a browser page!) Just a neat, geeky thing to do.
are you joking ?
just programming for example like using paper..
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
repods
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydwarf View Post
Looks like it's an x-windows redirect (or maybe cygwin can do it too?). Anyways, x-windows can redirect it's output for a program away from the main display of the machine it's running on, and to another one.

It looks like that's what's going on here. The programs are running on the PC in the background; the pc is probably running some form of unix (linux, most likely), but I can't tell for sure (As I said, there may be a possibility that CygWin can do it).

Nifty, from a hacker point of view.. From a practical point of view, I guess I don't really see any. Feel free to correct me on that.

so you are assuming that xwindow is renning on the e-ing and that the reader has a tcp stack ?
so on other e-readers linux based such as the dr800 this should not been possible ?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post
so you are assuming that xwindow is renning on the e-ing and that the reader has a tcp stack ?
so on other e-readers linux based such as the dr800 this should not been possible ?
The Azbooka runs OpenInkpot, which has an IP stack and X server. Any OI-supported reader can do this (like the Hanlin V3 and rebrands of same).

Whether other readers could do it I don't know.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote