Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Yalborap
Yalborap began at the beginning.

Device: none
A good cellphone for ebook reading from Verizon?

So, I just recently got into the whole ebook 'thing'. At the moment, I'm punching my way through the Dresden Files series on an old PDA, and loving it.

However, I'm also looking to consolidate things a bit, and I'm looking for a new phone at the moment...Which brings up the obvious option of getting some kinda smartphone and starting to read my ebooks on that.

The issue is, I'm with Verizon. So I can't go get an iPhone. Plus, I'd rather like a full QWERTY keyboard as well, limiting my options a bit...But let's see just what options I do have, eh? Here're the ones that I could find that looked decent, anyone have experience with them?

-HTC Touch Pro: Looks like it could be good, and it has a real keyboard. On the other hand, it runs Windows Mobile...Has that improved significantly since 5, or is it still going to be an exercise in frustration? Plus, that phone in particular has some bad reviews on Verizon's site, and while I don't put much stock in individual reviews, a 2.5 star overall rating says something...

-Samsung Omnia: Heard good things about this one, but it lacks a real keyboard and has a lower resolution than my PDA. Think those would come back to bite me in the ass? Plus, more Windows Mobile.

-Blackberry Storm: Better resolution than the Omnia and a non Windows Mobile OS, but still only a virtual keyboard, and will it actually work well? I heard some bad impressions when the Storm first came out...

-LG EnV Touch: Got the full real keyboard again, and an outer touchscreen too, with pretty good resolution. I like that, but how well does the thing actually work, and can I even get software for it, especially given Verizon's tendencies to lock their phones down hard?

So...What all do you guys think? Oh, and sorry if this is supposed to go somewhere else.
Yalborap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is still a rumour, but if you can wait a while see Motorola Sholes Android phone headed for Verizon?. Android has a couple of ebook readers, FBReader and Aldiko, but they are both for DRM-free ebooks only. B&N will probably release eReader for Android at some point.

Both MobiPocket and eReader (also now a B&N version) have Blackberry apps. I think is a telling that B&N have not made a B&N version of the eReader Windows Mobile app. There is good reading software for WinMobile, but most of it is "legacy" (solid software, but not likely to get upgraded much).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
Yalborap

Hmm...An Android phone tempts me, but I'm not sure if I have the time to wait for that to show up, honestly. Need a bit of a 'now' solution, you know?
Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Carl314
Enthusiast
Carl314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Motorola Droid with Aldiko
I too have Verizon, and use the HTC Touch for reading with ubook. It's not a perfect solution, since the screen is only 2.8", but it's adequate.

My "New Every Two" date is in February, so if the Motorola Sholes shows up by then, I'll be a happy camper.

Otherwise, the HTC Touch Pro 2, with something like a 3.5" screen, WinMobile and a full QWERTY keyboard just hit T-Mobile, is going to Spring in the next couple of weeks. Rumor has it Verizon will get this phone in the next couple of months - I just hope this isn't wishful thinking, but if you can hold off a month or so, you may have a better idea whether the Touch Pro 2 is truly coming to Verizon.

Cheers, Carl.
Carl314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I've been using an HTC Touch for a while now, and it has worked fine for me. I'm getting a little long in the tooth and short in the arms now, so the small screen has become burdensome and I've had to move to a larger format reader.

I use a jetBook at home and a Nokia N800 Internet Tablet (a hand held Linux box, but not a phone) when I'm out and about. The only problem I have is keeping them synchronized, luckily they both have text search so I just have to remember to do it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Yalborap

Glad to hear it worked for you.

I've heard some rumors that the Touch Pro 2 might hit Verizon as early as September, so I'm gonna wait as long as I can, but we'll see what I end up with, assuming I don't end up just adding some more mass to my pockets by carrying the PDA too. Either way, though, I'll have lots of reading to do.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalborap View Post
So, I just recently got into the whole ebook 'thing'. At the moment, I'm punching my way through the Dresden Files series on an old PDA, and loving it.

However, I'm also looking to consolidate things a bit, and I'm looking for a new phone at the moment...Which brings up the obvious option of getting some kinda smartphone and starting to read my ebooks on that.

So...What all do you guys think? Oh, and sorry if this is supposed to go somewhere else.
I recently got a Samsung SCH i760 as a free 2-year upgrade from VZW. Keypad, keyboard, D-pad, MS WM 6.1, and 2.8" touch screen for free. See if they're still remaindering them.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I was at BestBuy two weeks ago looking at the Blackberry Storm deal for $99.00 plus a service contract. I asked the associate why the price for the phone was so low, and he said that the word within BestBuy was that the Blackberry Storm 2 that is coming out is so good that they were afraid they wouldn't be able to give the old Storms away once the new Storm hits the shelves!

So you might want to wait a month or two before making your jump...I think that's what I'm going to do.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
GyGeek
Connoisseur
GyGeek is on a distinguished road

Device: Samsung Q1 Ultra, Boox 60, Droid
I was looking at going the smart phone route, until they told me I would have to pay $30 extra a month just to have the phone. I got the EnVe touch, but it doesn't do ebooks, nothing that will do bookmarks that is, as far as I can tell.
GyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
If you get an smartphone that was released prior to Nov 2008, then Verizon doesn't require the data plan. A Motorola Q9c is a great phone, and I read a lot of books on it when I carried it (I now have a Touch Pro because I don't mind the data plan requirement). The only problem with the Motorola Q9c is that with Windows Mobile 6.1, mobipocket reader doesn't work properly with the library on the disk - but there is a work around.

My wife still uses my old Q9m because they don't require the data plan on it ...
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalborap View Post
I've heard some rumors that the Touch Pro 2 might hit Verizon as early as September
Engadget: HTC Touch Pro2 graces Verizon on September 11.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
tmgplc
Enthusiast
tmgplc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire 7" (2014)
I use mobipocket on a blackberry curve 8330 for Verizon. I think it works great, but the screen is a little small. I also just got the Astak EZ Reader Pro and highly recommend that as well.
tmgplc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:50 AM   #13
berniej
Enthusiast
berniej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have been getting my eBook fix through my Nokia E71. The app I use is Mobireader on my phone + Calibre on my notebook. I use a similar set up on my previous phone, the Nokia E61i. I don't encounter any major issues with this setup.

Before that I read on my Palm Treo 650 using iSilo and/or eReader.
berniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:51 AM   #14
Yalborap

Aand I ended up with an EnV3. Not perfect, but all in all, not too bad. I've got the PDA for book-book reading, but I think I'll be doing more of the webserial stuff. Once I have a proper data plan in a few days/weeks, I'll be able to test how this baby handles RSS feeds.