Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 03:29 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But I don't see anything wrong in eBooks not being transferrable myself, so I'm happy to abide by those conditions. Physical books deterioriate over time; eBooks do not, so it seems perfectly reasonable to me that usage should be restricted to the original purchaser.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:32 AM   #17
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
But nobody can switch of the drm servers with a physical book...
Also, please consider the following: books can easily withstand three to four centuries. Data often can not be read after decades ( because the format dies out, the reader die, the data corrupts...)!

cheers
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 03:48 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But, with the greatest respect, what does any of that have to do with re-selling books? I'm afraid I don't understand the point that you're making. Apologies if I'm missing something.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:57 AM   #19
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I think that the question hinges on whether you consider ebooks like regular books, where you own the actual copy, or see them as a license for reading the information once - and maybe a few more times as long as the seller agrees to it ( maybe something akin to purchasing a cinema ticket?).
I believe I own a copy and thus may resell it ( which I would be waaay to lazy to ever do as I consider ebooks rather like consumable goods) but would certainly understand everybody who compares it rather to watching a movie...

guess opinions just differ.

cheers,
kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is a grey area and we have no idea if the license agreement is legal or not. We won't know this until we get a case that goes in front of a judge.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #21
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Look at the terms and conditions of the site where you bought the books. I believe you'll find that on most - probably all - sites, the books are specifically stated to be "non transferrable" and those are the terms that you agreed to when you bought the books. You cannot, therefore, give them to anybody else.
In the US, it's highly likely that those terms are not binding. Just because a seller puts terms on their site does not mean that they are legally enforceable. US courts have already ruled on very similar cases with software and have said that claiming "it's a license, not a sale" does not hold, and that first sale rights still apply.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #22
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think personally that if you agree to a set of conditions that you should stick by them. To turn around later and say "I don't like those conditions so I'm going to ignore them" strikes me as being a dishonourable thing to do. Just my personal opinion, of course.
Then again, putting conditions on a sale that a seller knows are not legally binding could also be considered dishonourable.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

As I said, Shaggy, it's just my personal viewpoint. If I found myself unable to agree to a vendor's terms and conditions, then personally I wouldn't buy from that vendor.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #24
Shaggy
Wizard

I agree it's a personal decision, but if a vendor is stating terms that are not legally enforceable, I would have no qualms about ignoring those terms. If a vendor wants me to honor their terms, then they should not state ones that they know are not legal. You could say that both sides in such a situation are being dishonest. The vendor is falsely implying what terms they can put on the sale, and the buyer is falsely implying that they'll agree to them. IMO, it pretty much cancels out.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #25
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
HarryT have you ever broken the speed limit? just by a few mph? Legal doesn't always mean right, and illegal doesn't always mean wrong.

Copying an artistic work and selling those copies for personal gain without contributing to the artist is wrong. Whether it's music, books or paintings. The artist put a lot of effort into producing that work in your hands, in the form they deemed as close to perfect as they can manage. If you don't like it, and want to part with it, you've paid for that 'edition' of the work and can do what you like with it, including pass it on to others. Even for a personal profit. - this is true for physical books, CDs, paintings etc and I see no reason why it shouldn't be true for ebooks. BUT the big provisio hanging over all of it, is that once you've passed it on, you don't have any further rights/access to it. No copying. Of course this is muddied slightly by artists who don't mind you copying who produce their work for free and prefer to widely known rather than slightly less poor.

In terms of your specific legal situation - speak to lawyers. It's their job to advise you. If you've got half a dozen odd books on a reader you don't want anymore, I doubt that anyone is bothered. If you are making a living from it, someone will want their fair share first. - All in My Humble Opinion of course.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #26
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
My advice would be to sell the ebook readers blank and removed from your account. Regardless of whether or not you have a case, do you really want to have to pay a lawyer if they do come after you?

Also, I agree with Harry. Ebooks are voluntarily purchased under certain conditions. By purchasing the ebook you are agreeing to those terms and should uphold them. If you do not agree with restrictions on ebooks take a stand and refuse to buy DRMed ebooks.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #27
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Also, I agree with Harry. Ebooks are voluntarily purchased under certain conditions. By purchasing the ebook you are agreeing to those terms and should uphold them.
While this is true, it's also true that just displaying some conditions in legalese or forcing the user to check a box saying "I agree to those terms" does not mean the user is really aware of the possible restrictions, and I believe they wouldn't be legally enforceable.

Probably, the legality or illegality of selling ebooks you've bought will be independent or whatever "terms and conditions" one can find in the ebook stores.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post
HarryT have you ever broken the speed limit? just by a few mph? Legal doesn't always mean right, and illegal doesn't always mean wrong.
If you re-read my previous posts, you'll see that nowhere do I mention the law. I consider it wrong to agree to a vendor's terms, and then turn around and ignore them. I really don't care whether or not it's legal or illegal - to me, I'm afraid, it's just plain wrong.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #29
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
If you re-read my previous posts, you'll see that nowhere do I mention the law. I consider it wrong to agree to a vendor's terms, and then turn around and ignore them. I really don't care whether or not it's legal or illegal - to me, I'm afraid, it's just plain wrong.
I'm just curious, but do you also feel that it's wrong for a vendor to list terms in a contract that they know are not enforceable?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, of course I do, but are you 100% certain that they are not enforceable? Has there been a test case which has ruled this to be so? I would be a little surprised to see reputable companies imposing illegal contracts on their customers, and companies whom I genuinely consider to be the "good guys" of the industry - eg Baen - impose these terms.

Tags
drm, selling