Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
Rigsby
Rigsby began at the beginning.

Device: None
How does the Sony Reader deal with graphics?

I am, I think, pretty much sold on a Sony Reader, but looking through my books a question arose.

Much of my collection is straight forward text (a lot copyright free) but a fair chunk tends to be business related or text books that contain graphical elements.

I'm not looking for an HD photos, but how does the Reader deal with things like tables or simple graphs? Do they convert with enough detail to convey the meaning, are they just a mess, or are they ignored?

Going further, I'm likely to converting other formats (wrong, I know). Does anyone have any experience on how the converted formats are likely to convert graphical elements?
Rigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigsby View Post
I'm not looking for an HD photos, but how does the Reader deal with things like tables or simple graphs? Do they convert with enough detail to convey the meaning, are they just a mess, or are they ignored?
A lot of the answer depends on the format you're talking about.

Graphics in BBeB format (Sony's format) work fine, as long as they're graphics -- I don't think it handles true tables. They're just grey-scaled, and look surprisingly good due to the resolution of the display.

In RTF/Word files, graphics are ignored entirely.

In PDF files, they look just fine (the same gray-scaling applies) in non-reflow mode, though the pix may be a bit small depending on the "page" sizing of the file. I believe that pix are ignored in re-flow mode.

I'd suggest that you put some of your files on a memory card and visit a Waterstone's ... actually I don't know if Waterstone's has them on display in their stores .... If they do you can try putting your memory card in a display model and see what it gives you. That would be more valuable than a second hand description, if you can arrange it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Rigsby

Thanks. I think you've probably answered my question enough for me to risk an online purchase (I've not found a high street store that has any in stock).

I'll try a Waterstone's on the off-chance, but the displays are pretty locked down and I don't know if the SD slot is accessible.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'd suggest that you put some of your files on a memory card and visit a Waterstone's
Or try them on Sony's Windows ebook Reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
Rigsby

And the first post on that thread answered my question... I obviously didn't search thoroughly enough. Thank-you very much.
Advert
Old 09-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Heh, don't worry 'bout it, Rigsby -- there's so bloomin' much stuff here that it's sometimes impossible to sort through it all. I sometimes have trouble finding my own posts again later, and I know they're there and more or less what they said!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote