Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Many notable classics missing...

I did a quick check of the top 30 books on the "100 best novels of the twentieth century":

http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlib...estnovels.html

and saw that many of these are missing from Kindle. This includes:
  • anything by William Faulkner
  • anything by John Steinbeck
  • Catch-22
  • Darkness at Noon
  • Under the Volcano
  • I, Claudius
  • A Passage to India
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Animal Farm
  • most books by John Irving

...and many others. I guess this is just a problem with e-books in general, but I hope this situation improves!
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Which ones are in the public domain?

How many of those did you find here?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Try doing a search for any Pulitzer prize-winning novels, and it's a wasteland.

For some people's reading habits, the Kindle still has zero content. I'm not interested until they fix that problem.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
tklaus
Connoisseur

Yes, there does seem to be a dearth of content that's not quite old enough to be in the public domain, but too old to be a 'best seller'. According to their website, Project Guttenburg is mostly older than 1923. I guess I can't blame Amazon for going with what sells, but my Kindle won't be completely replacing the printed page for a while...
Old 11-23-2007, 11:30 PM   #5
tklaus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Which ones are in the public domain?

How many of those did you find here?
None and none! I guess they're just not old enough.
Advert
Old 11-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tklaus View Post
Yes, there does seem to be a dearth of content that's not quite old enough to be in the public domain, but too old to be a 'best seller'. According to their website, Project Guttenburg is mostly older than 1923. I guess I can't blame Amazon for going with what sells, but my Kindle won't be completely replacing the printed page for a while...
There are LOTS of books not available in ebook form in any format. It's going to be that way for a LONG time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:46 PM   #7
tklaus
Connoisseur

Well, Jeff Bezos did say in multiple interviews that his vision is to have "every book that has ever been in print". I wonder how far out his vision goes?
Old 11-24-2007, 12:18 AM   #8
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
I watched the Charlie Rose interview with him. He said their goal is to have all the books digitized in 5 years. He also said that he wasn't sure they would meet that ambitious goal...but I like what he's thinking. This is the kind of attitude we need to get ebooks going!
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
I did a quick check of the top 30 books on the "100 best novels of the twentieth century":

• Catch-22
  • Darkness at Noon
  • Under the Volcano
  • I, Claudius
  • A Passage to India
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Animal Farm

...and many others. I guess this is just a problem with e-books in general, but I hope this situation improves!

under the volcano is in the top 100? i thought it was an obscure work that only i and john huston had read! [g]

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
MonkeyKnits57
MonkeyKnits57 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have a copy of Animal Farm. I must have gotten it from feedbooks if I did not get it here .
MonkeyKnits57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
I think they will be available (didn't Penguin say they planned on releasing almost everything in ebook form?). And those don't bother me because those books are the ones I KEEP, the ones that line my shelves. While I will buy the ebook version of many of them, I use my Kindle mostly for the disposable or pleasure reading, with some serious reading on the side.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKnits57 View Post
I have a copy of Animal Farm.
George Orwell died in 1950, so this is out of copyright in Life+50 countries but not in the US. Even so, Animal Farm and 1984 are available at the Kindle Store. These editions may be paying royalties to the copyright owners, although this seems unlikely for the $2.40 offerings.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

• Catch-22
  • Darkness at Noon
  • Under the Volcano
  • I, Claudius
  • A Passage to India
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Animal Farm

You need to check again. Amazon.com, under Kindle books, has John Steinbeck, Animal Farm, A couple by John Irving. Now, if you are talking 'free', thats another matter.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Try doing a search for any Pulitzer prize-winning novels, and it's a wasteland.

For some people's reading habits, the Kindle still has zero content. I'm not interested until they fix that problem.
They might fix that problem if you let them know you want to see it in a Kindle edition. There is a spot to click for each book not in Kindle format that you would like to see in Kindle format. I'm clicking away like a mad thing ... even for books that I have absolutely no interest in reading. I just know that others might ... and so I'm sticking a vote in the box for them too.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:

• Catch-22
  • Darkness at Noon
  • Under the Volcano
  • I, Claudius
  • A Passage to India
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Animal Farm

I counted ten of John Steinbeck's novels available for the Kindle in the Kindle Store today. So .... how did you manage to come up with zero?? Maybe the search needs to be done again??? Just saying ....

ERG!!! I just realized how OLD the original post was. OLD .... ancient .... dusty!! Yes, by all means, do the search again. There are things that are still missing, but there are quite a few things on your list starting to crop up. (I think all of the John Steinbeck has a Kindle edition date of June 24, 2008.)

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 08-16-2008 at 05:58 PM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!