Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
joann504
Edge User

vpn connection

I do not understand how to use the vpn. I would like to connect the pocket edge to my home computer if I can. Is this possible? If so what are the steps? Thanks.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, Joann

Are you trying to connect your Pocket eDGe to your computer at home when your away from home?

Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
joann504
Edge User

Not sure of the question. I want to use my home computer as the host and be able to connect to my home computer with my pocket edge when I'm away from home, if that is possible. I am home when I've been trying to set it up, but I don't think I did it right because it is not working. So that is why I'm questioning if this is even possible.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

You can do this with VNC for Android http://code.google.com/p/android-vnc-viewer/ you will need to be connected to WiFi with your edge. The download and manual can be found on the same page I linked above.
There is also a version of Log Me in For Android, however it is 29.99.

Last edited by cheyennedonna; 11-11-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
borisb
Edge User

That's a good option, cheyennedonna. The VNC viewer will require the corresponding port to be opened in the firewall of your home router, Joann. If you're unsure how to do that, you'll need to find a local person to help you.

LogMeIn might not require a firewall change and therefore be easier.

To create a true VPN link on a home system is a bit of a challenge as you need software on either your router or your home PC to accept VPN connections, and your router firewall again needs to pass through the VPN traffic. The eDGe itself has numerous VPN connection options under Settings - Network.

Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
joann504
Edge User

Thanks for the info.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

If you have any follow up questions, please ask. We don't want you to be frustrated

Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
borisb
Edge User

I've posted my review of LogMeIn here.

It's not a "VPN" (which is a secure network link between to computers over the internet) per se, but it allows you to remotely access a PC from your eDGe, and, if you get the paid version, allows you to transfer files between PC/Mac and your eDGe, and to print, etc. See the post for details.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
Franky
Edge User

I tried to connect to the new router, but i'm unable to do so. even my iphone won't connect.
this is what i know from the router:
Security WPA/WPA2 PSK - VPI 8 - VCI 35 - multiplex LLC - Protocol PPPoE, PPPoA

when I try to connect i get a message that the password is incorrect. I know for 100% that I use the correct password. there is something else what i don't know. maybe something I forgot to do. I hope somebody can give me some ideas. the dumb thing is that i can connect to the old router. Swisscom is using new routers and with those i've got a problem.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User

EDIT: See ivan's post below

Last edited by borisb; 11-28-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
ivan
Edge User

Franky, if your new router has not been set up you must do that first. If it has been setup and you are using WPA or WPA2 security then to connect to it you will have to enter the WPA security code which can be up to 36 characters. Until you have entered that security code there is no way you will be allowed to connect, also you have to enter that code into each device you want to connect to it.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
Franky
Edge User

The router is setup and works. The seurity code is indeed big, but my eDGe is only saying that the code is false. Even with my iphone. I can't get a connection.

could it have something to do with vpn or so? I tried basically everything I could think of, but I can't get connected. I do see the router in the list of possible routers.

it's seriously irritating.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
borisb
Edge User

If your iPad can't connect, then you should contact the supplier of the router for assistance. However they solve the problem on the iPad will be your info on how to get your eDGe connected, too.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
ivan
Edge User

Do you have any WiFi device that can connect with your router? If so look up their settings and set the eDGe to that.

It sounds, from your description, as if the settings are not the same between devices - for example, wpa on router and trying to use wpa2 on the eDGe. If these settings are not the same you will get the type of message you are.

The best way of checking this is to use a computer cabled to the router and access the router web interface setup screen - then depending on the make and type of router, go to the general information page and copy the information there which should give you something to try.

If you give us the make and model of the router I could give you more explicit information on what to look for and how to do it.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
Franky
Edge User

hahaha, if I would have an ipad, a hammer would helped me from the start. that's a device i won't spent money on.

I'm happy to state that i was able to connect my eDGe and my iphone. what was the problem? I'm not sure, but after tapping on some thing and typing in the code again it suddenly worked. and when it worked on my eDGe, it almost automatically worked on my iphone.
thank you all with your comments, it gave me enough to try further.

now, since this is done, I'm no going to try connecting the eDGe to my iphone and then to the 3G network. that would be the hammer this year.