Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
wascalwabbit
wascalwabbit began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 602
Question PB Pro 602 Firmware

I'm trying to upgrade my firmware to 2.0.2, but i can't seem to find a valid file to do so.

According to the handbook I should be looking for a *.bin file, but all I can find on the website is a *.tar.gz file, which extracts to a *.tar.g-0 file. neither work for upgrading the device's firmware.

Am I doing it all wrong or is there a problem with the firmware/website?
wascalwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by wascalwabbit View Post
I'm trying to upgrade my firmware to 2.0.2, but i can't seem to find a valid file to do so.

According to the handbook I should be looking for a *.bin file, but all I can find on the website is a *.tar.gz file, which extracts to a *.tar.g-0 file. neither work for upgrading the device's firmware.

Am I doing it all wrong or is there a problem with the firmware/website?
Hmm. I extracts to a bin file normally. What expanding software are you using?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
wascalwabbit

Thank you for your reply

At first I had used ExtractNow!, but after you suggested using a different software I tried 7-zip, which returns a .tar file, which in turn can be extracted to the .bin file I was looking for.

It would be interresting to know why PB decided to go with .tar.gz instead of .zip or .rar. I'm sure the linuxers don't mind, but I doubt your average window$ user is familiar with it.

Either way, thanks again, I'm off to check out the new firmware.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by wascalwabbit View Post
Thank you for your reply

At first I had used ExtractNow!, but after you suggested using a different software I tried 7-zip, which returns a .tar file, which in turn can be extracted to the .bin file I was looking for.

It would be interresting to know why PB decided to go with .tar.gz instead of .zip or .rar. I'm sure the linuxers don't mind, but I doubt your average window$ user is familiar with it.

Either way, thanks again, I'm off to check out the new firmware.
Yeah, our programmer guys are strange like that.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
I wouldn't mind zip much, but rar is a non-free format to the point that I know of no free creator for it. It's popular for the simple reason that it compresses well, but that's a bit of a marginal factor here.

Zip isn't actually supported by default on most unix-like systems, but fairly easily installable (typically the info-zip implementation).

Tar and gzip (separate stages, as you noticed extracting one at a time) usually are, except on Windows. Still, it's fairly easy to install there, as 7-zip and a bunch of other programs support it. The non-free programs WinZip and WinRAR both do.

If you want a more level playground, 7z archives would force everybody to look up 7-zip, which is both free and available to each platform. It's growing in popularity as it compresses quite well. Compared to rar, I guess its weakness is that it doesn't have a redundant multi-part feature (where you can lose a part and still get your data), but you can do that with parchive. It's rarely needed, anyway, but made sense when dealing with floppies.

In short, I would suggest the reason is likely habit; we always have tar. Making zips requires an extra installation step.

Addendum: It would appear ExtractNow also supports tar.gz, but from some sort of messy-DOS tradition doesn't recognize this extension. It might do the right thing if you rename the .tar.gz to .tgz instead, and your .tar.g-0 may be a misnamed .tar.

Last edited by LoneTech; 11-25-2010 at 08:51 AM.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
wascalwabbit

Good info, thanks.

I actually like 7-zip, just don't install it every time I wipe windows, just because I have never had to deal with a format that ExtractNow can't handle.

I'm going to test your suggestion just for the fun of it xD