Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I read somewhere (can't recall where) that publishers consider someone who buys twelve books a year to be a heavy book buyer. Not sure what that makes someone like me.
I remember the same thing, but a bookmark I have from the PewInternet group on Reading Habits of Different Communities consider heavy readers to be those who read 21 or more books a year.

The Pew report is very interesting, overall.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Nope. Not it all. It's a wild idea to me that someone who claims a desire to read would do so ONLY (or even mostly) on vacation.
But where did anyone indicate that? Seems to be your interpretation only.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It's such a wild idea that people on vacation in the summertime have more time to read than they do when they're not on vacation? And that consequently they might choose a lengthier book to take to the beach?
I am self employed. Some explain to me what a vacation is please.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
they don't get any farther than lying on the beach for 2-4 weeks. IMHO, *that* is an utter waste of money.
I don't know, I could read a LOT of books laying on the beach for a few weeks!! I'lll go in your place any time you want!!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
+1

I also think it plays into a phenomenon similar to marketing certain items for New Years Resolutions. I've known a lot of people, especially females, that spend all year claiming they don't have time to read, but "This summer I'm going to..." Sometimes it's because they have relaxing vacations planned, or the kids are being shipped off to the grandparents for a few weeks, etc.

Very good point. And of course, publishers don't really care if a book is read, just that it is purchased. So if they can hype something up as a "hot summer read" and squeeze a purchase or two out of a largely non-reading individual, that's smart strategy.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But where did anyone indicate that? Seems to be your interpretation only.
I read (in Post #5):
Quote:
I've known a lot of people, especially females, that spend all year claiming they don't have time to read, but "This summer I'm going to..."
To which I replied:
Quote:
So they're basically for people who normally don't really -- you know -- read (or read one book per year)?
I guess I'm really out of touch. It just never ocurred to me that there were people who only read when they're on vacation--likely in summer. I gotta get out more.
To which AnemicOak replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There are certainly a number of people that fit that demographic among folks I know. They consider it odd that a few people I know, and myself, almost always have something that they're currently reading.
Perhaps you'd be so kind as to tell me where I went wrong in getting the idea that at least one of the demographics targeted by the marketing label of "A Perfect Summer Read" just might be people who ONLY (or mostly) read on vacation?

It seems my question bothered you for some odd reason. I don't remember saying "Perfect Summer Reads (and the people who enjoy them) suck." I was simply puzzled by a label whose name didn't make much sense to me (just as the names of several literary labels don't make a lot of sense to me). This thread has helped me gain some insight into what I wasn't understanding, but I'll be honest ... some of the answers I got were offered a lot more pleasantly than others.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #22
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
And for another take on great summer reads. Nicholas Kristof offers his list of Great Summer Reads. I don't think there will be many takers from the usual summer reading types

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/op...stof.html?_r=1
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #23
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I've known a lot of people, especially females, that spend all year claiming they don't have time to read, but "This summer I'm going to..."
To be honest, I think that this is a pile of ***; not you posting it, but people stating it.

People who WANT to read, WILL read. It's just a matter of priorities. No one is going to tell me that they don't EVER have time to read a book. If that it true, it would automatically mean that this person does not have time for any other entertainment either.

If one does have that time, then stating "This summer, I will read more!" automatically implies that one will cut back on other entertainment on purpose, to make time for reading. That course implies that this is a sacrifice, and that one would rather not read, but pursue the other entertainment; as if reading is something such a person considers that should be done, but isn't being done, and that this is bad.

In my case, I have a lot of hobbies / entertainments, ranging from listening to, collecting and making music, to playing Chess and Go, to take pictures, to watch movies, to play computer games, and to read.

At some point, I read a lot. At other points, I play Chess a lot. At yet another point, I take way more pictures than is healthy for a camera to take in a month... and so on.

If I'm busy with one hobby, it could be that the others are neglected or pursued less, for weeks, or even months. Reading is not exempt from such a fate. There have been periods that I didn't pick up a book for weeks, because I was busy taking pictures, didn't touch the Hammond organ because I was stuyding Go... and so on.

I never felt the need to single out one sort of entertainment and state that I should spend more time on that, purposefully neglecting other entertainments that I'd rather be pursuing.

The only reason for me setting a reading goal in 2013 is that I want to track what, and how fast I read in this year. If, at some point, I get bored, I'll read less, and on January 2014, I'll happily state that I didn't make it.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-11-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #24
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
To be honest, I think that this is a pile of ***; not you posting it, but people stating it.
Oh, I totally agree. But in this context, it falls into the same category as "I'm going to lose wieght, eat healthier, learn to knit, join the Y" and so on. Which is why I stated in my earlier post that marketing to these particular people is the same as all the "quit smoking" and diet stuff that is pushed around New Years, because of all those resolutions that no one follows through with. This is just the summer version.

These people aren't actually readers. If they were, they'd already be reading.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Summer Read, makes me feel fine.
Blowin' through the jasmine in my miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #26
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
It seems my question bothered you for some odd reason. I don't remember saying "Perfect Summer Reads (and the people who enjoy them) suck." I was simply puzzled by a label whose name didn't make much sense to me (just as the names of several literary labels don't make a lot of sense to me). This thread has helped me gain some insight into what I wasn't understanding, but I'll be honest ... some of the answers I got were offered a lot more pleasantly than others.
Not an odd reason at all. I think the question and many of the answers reflect a certain snobbery about reading. Perhaps that wasn't intended.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Perhaps that wasn't intended.
No perhaps about it.

I'm making fun of a "label." A label that frankly disappears under scrutiny. From responses here and elsewhere (and from my own investigating) "Summer Read" seems to be marketing speak for "Book we want you to buy this vacation season." The content, size, genre, setting and/or style of the book seems to have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on which books actually get the label. That's what I find puzzling and a bit silly. If it's just "popular titles," why not call it that? It means something. I have no problem with people who mainly read popular titles.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-12-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #28
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I always buy my books based on how the cover matches my wardrobe.
Wouldn't it be simpler to buy a wardrobe that matches the inside of your books?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #29
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
These people aren't actually readers. If they were, they'd already be reading.
"'I didn't have time,' is the grown-up equivalent of 'the dog ate my homework.'"
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #30
JWK
JWK began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

I'm making fun of a "label"; a label that frankly disappears under scrutiny.
So succinct. I couldn't have said it better. Please don't be offended by my punctuation editing.
JWK is offline   Reply With Quote