Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #46
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Seconding MobileRead Authors.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #47
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll third Historical fiction and Mobile Read authors.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #48
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'll third Splatterpunk, Indie, and Adventure which has nothing to do with traveling.

Interested in reading quite a few in the nominations this month!
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #49
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yay! Splatterpunk got in!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #50
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
. Nyssa will be particularly pleased.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #51
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
. Nyssa will be particularly pleased.
My reaction as I was updating the nomination list
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #52
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
My reaction as I was updating the nomination list
Don't worry. It'll never get chosen .
Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #53
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Maybe in October.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #54
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Maybe in October.
Please no! Horror is bad enough (but a perfectly reasonable genre for October), I'd hate for it to be gross too!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #55
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Please no! Horror is bad enough (but a perfectly reasonable genre for October), I'd hate for it to be gross too!
I am not saying it should win, just that if it has a chance in any month it would be October. There was a vocal minority who really disliked the choice from last year and were saying it wasn't scary, so maybe they would be more inclined for this - at least there would be a guaranteed amount of gore.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Actually, Horror is a terrible genre. Well, not really, but the winning horror books have been awful. They've been terrible. Not a single one has ever been scary. I've nominated books that should be scary, but they don't win and lame books win that are not scary one bit.

So, we might be better off with gross. At least then we'd have a better chance of getting a scary book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #57
caleb72
Indie Advocate

I struggle to find a single book that's actually scary - except maybe Koko by Peter Straub, and I don't think that's technically a horror.

Has anyone actually encountered a book that really is bone-chilling scary?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #58
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
I struggle to find a single book that's actually scary - except maybe Koko by Peter Straub, and I don't think that's technically a horror.

I found some of the Dennis Wheatley satanist books genuinely scary, but that was many years ago in my early teens, and I haven't revisited them since.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #59
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:

Perhaps horror has a very individualised effect on specific readers--rather as is the case with humour. I find the stories of M R James quite scary simply because horror invades the ordinary so effectively and the spernatural elements are understated--others simply find them boring.

"Green Tea" by Le Fanu is another tale that conveys immense psychological horror for me. The concept of an utterly malignant entity existing unseen within oneself and undetectable to all but oneself has an element of horror which is magnified by the fact that the external narrator doesn't believe in its existence either. It leaves a very uneasy feeling in some readers.

Another example is "A Rose For Emily" by Faulkner. On the surface it's about a decadent Southern family and a reclusive spinster. But when one reaches that astounding final sentence--the horror explodes and a re-reading throws everything in a different light.

Lovecraft attempted to create horror by eliminating the supernatural machinery used conventionally and substituting a cosmological mythos in its place. He was trying to create horror stories for atheists. I find his mythos very interesting but he doesn't scare me as much--if at all-- as he did when I was {significantly} younger. .

More successful than Lovecraft is Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery". Here is genuine horror. The setting is small town America and the people are sympathetic everyday types. There is nothing of the supernatural only the working of human nature in recognisable character types. Ray Bradbury has come up with some genuine horror stories which I find effective. Among them are "The Veldt", "Mars Is Heaven" and the utterly horrifying "Small Assassin". Still, I'm sure there are readers who would be unmoved by any of these examples.

I think that one must simply live with the fact that the same things are not going to scare everyone. And some people are going to be very hard to scare at all!

Last edited by fantasyfan; 01-15-2013 at 04:56 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #60
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I think that one must simply live with the fact that the same things are not going to scare everyone. And some people are going to be very hard to scare at all!
Which is why I don't bother complaining about the horror selections we have in the book club.