Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
cistehovado
cistehovado began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Whats wrong - again - conversion to CE (cp 1250)

I updated calibre (I was not using for long time), and all my book collection is damaged by calibre wrong conversion.

As I do have books in Czech/Slovak language (cp 1250, central european encoding), I have to set CP 1250 in input/output panel in Calibre.
(at least that did works before)

Now ? most characters are missing (ť,ž,š). I did BS, cause after updating calibre I reconverted all my book collection.. and result is - nothing is readable on my iphone or kindle...

Do someone have idea how to solve this ? Or how to properly setup Calibre to use CE codepages ? Or should I find another solution which doesnt make me nervous :-(
cistehovado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
cistehovado

Tried all kind of encoding, but output file has not changed. So I think encoding option is not working at all. (I tried also korean / japanese codepages / cyrillic (russian) / slovak-czech ISO, LATIN, CP1250-1-2. Output file was no changed.

Maybe I am doing something wrong... In preferences > Common options > Input character encoding I am trying to set encoding (for example cp 1250 (which worked in my older Calibre version, unfortunately I dont know version number)) and then I set bulk conversion for 2-3 books. The books looks the same no matter what conversion I set.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cistehovado View Post
Tried all kind of encoding, but output file has not changed. So I think encoding option is not working at all. (I tried also korean / japanese codepages / cyrillic (russian) / slovak-czech ISO, LATIN, CP1250-1-2. Output file was no changed.

Maybe I am doing something wrong... In preferences > Common options > Input character encoding I am trying to set encoding (for example cp 1250 (which worked in my older Calibre version, unfortunately I dont know version number)) and then I set bulk conversion for 2-3 books. The books looks the same no matter what conversion I set.
Once you have made a conversion on a title, THOSE SETTINGS are remembered. Changes to preferences do not affect these unless you click "Restore Defaults" at the bottom of the first Conversion screen that appears when you do a 'convert'.
Note: you can also make setting changes at this location that only affect the book(s) being converted at this time. Defaults are left unchanged.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
cistehovado

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Once you have made a conversion on a title, THOSE SETTINGS are remembered. Changes to preferences do not affect these unless you click "Restore Defaults" at the bottom of the first Conversion screen that appears when you do a 'convert'.
Note: you can also make setting changes at this location that only affect the book(s) being converted at this time. Defaults are left unchanged.
Hello, thanks for reply.
I tried "convert individually" if you mean that. The result is the same :-( (also tried multiple codepages, but the output is the same without any changes)
Old 05-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cistehovado View Post
Hello, thanks for reply.
I tried "convert individually" if you mean that. The result is the same :-( (also tried multiple codepages, but the output is the same without any changes)
Did you do the Reset Defaults (or make adjustments to the settings on the various tabs of that page) step?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
cistehovado

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you do the Reset Defaults (or make adjustments to the settings on the various tabs of that page) step?
Yes I tried also the Reset Defaults option. And also tested various "input character encoding" options (the same as I did in bulk convert). No change.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm guessing what you did is set the character encoding and then convert from epub to epub instead of from the original format to epub. Since calibre geenrates utf-8 encoded epubs, you ended up with a mess.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
cistehovado

Source is PDB, and I am creating MOBI and ePub. I will delete ePub and MOBI and will try again.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
cistehovado

You r right! Now it does work! Will send you a little donation, but I must get my salary first!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #10
cistehovado

D'nated (its a bit, but I am planing more) ......1525L

I have another conversion problem, PDF is showed correctly, but after conversion the character ž is changed into some weird character. ("input character encoding" was not set (empty)), also tried utf8, cp1250, the same result (I deleted the epub before conversion, so only PDF exists)

Old 05-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
cistehovado

Notice - the capital Ž in title is showed correctly after conversion. Kinda weird ;-)
Old 05-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Conversion of PDF will not work if the PDF uses an embedded non unicode font. THere is no fix.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #13
cistehovado

Is there possibility to create "custom" conversion? For example manualy write characters for replace in some ini file or settings
Example:
č>c
ť>t
ý>y
ž>z
Ý>Y
Ž>Z
Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

not without editing the source code.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
cistehovado

I have news (I recommend to add it to help file)

I used MS Word 2010 publish to PDF feature which was source of evil!
Now I am using the CUTE PDF Writer (free software) and printing the DOC / or any other format from Word 2010 to CUTE PDF and everything is OK!

You may close this topic :-)