Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Solved - setting font size for optimum reading

I have been bothered by the huge jump in font sizes between zoom levels 1 and 2 on the Aluratek Libre. On ePubs zoom 1 displays 31 lines of text and zoom level 2 displays 23 lines (using the serif font). I would like a font size in between these two. Here are the number of text lines for each zoom level:

Zoom 1 - 31
Zoom 2 - 23
Zoom 3 - 20
Zoom 4 - 18
Zoom 5 - 15
Zoom 6 - 11
Zoom 7 - 9

I played around with changing the base font size in Calibre. I found that if I set the base font size to either 8 or 10 the number of lines of text per zoom level is as follows:

Zoom 1 - 42
Zoom 2 - 31
Zoom 3 - 26
Zoom 4 - 24
Zoom 5 - 20
Zoom 6 - 15
Zoom 7 - 12

Whereas before there was only one step between 31 lines per page and 20 lines per page (zoom levels 1 - 3), by setting the base font size to either 8 or 10 you get two steps (zoom levels 2 through 5). I think this gives a more optimal range for choosing font sizes.

Of course this requires using the Calibre software which rules out DRM protected ebooks.

Last edited by PodPeople; 05-06-2011 at 04:34 PM.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Good thinking, thanks for posting your results.
You might want to post to the Calibre forum as well, but be sure to mention the devices
it works for.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Thanks, Ken -- I cross posted this to the Conversions sub-forum of the Calibre forum.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
I have been bothered by the huge jump in font sizes between zoom levels 1 and 2 on the Aluratek Libre. On ePubs zoom...
I think this gives a more optimal range for choosing font sizes.
This is a great tip, thanks for the effort!
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote