Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
taylork1
taylork1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taylork1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taylork1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taylork1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony reader 505
Help - Too Many Bookmarks

PRS-505: I wanted to see how the SYNC feature worked, and now I'm sorry I did. I now have 36 bookmarks that I can't get rid of. I've deleted them from the Reader, one book at a time. When I was down to zero bookmarks, I hooked up the reader to my PC and manually sync'ed my collections (no more auto-sync). All 36 bookmarks went back to the reader.

Then, I reformatted the Reader so I had no content on it - connected it and dragged my books back onto it. Guess - 36 bookmarks.

I used the Reader function to reformat the internal memory - connected it.... 36 bookmarks.

Where are the bookmarks saved? How can I clear them? I'm at my whits end. Any ideas?
taylork1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #2
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
I am only guessing, but I am thinking that your ebook library software is also keeping a copy of those bookmarks for you.

Depending on how cleverly they are hidden in the software, it might be easier to uninstall the software (make sure that the program folders are deleted also in the various locations on your hard drive) and the nreinstall the software.

Most ebook retailers also save your purchase information incase you have to redownload your books, so puttintg all your purchases back in the software should not be a problem, but make sure you can retrieve your books before deleting the software, or make a manual backup of only the ebooks before the deletion.

I hope I have explained this clearly.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 04:29 AM   #3
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
I'd strongly recommend staying away from the sync feature. It simply isn't worth the pain. I made the same mistake and ended up with a whole bunch of duplicate bookmarks. It is poorly implemented and doesn't really provide any benefit. I'd suggest you look into using Calibre for managing your library and transferring books to your readers. I'm doing that right now, and I love it this way. Calibre is far more robust and useful than the Sony software.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
taylork1
taylork1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taylork1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taylork1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taylork1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the replies

I'll try to deinstall/reinstall the software, and also take a look at Calibre. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
One solution is to remove the books with bookmarks from the library on your computer. Synch your Reader. Then add the books back into the library.

I haven't had this problem recently, but it happened once in the past. It's an odd bug for sure.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Wow, my problem is the opposite - every time I turn around, I lose all my bookmarks.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
taylork1

Problem Solved

Finally, this problem is solved. Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's what you have to do. For each book that has the multiple, repeated bookmarks:
1. In the eBook Library, delete the book from the collection and the "Books" section. This will not remove the corresponding file from your PC so you can re-import it later.
2. Plug in your eBook Reader and go to the book. Using the "Info" feature, write down the filename so you can re-import it later.
3. In the eBook Library, go to the "Reader" section and delete the book from the collection and the "Books" section.
4. In the eBook Library, do a File | Import Files... and find the filename that came from the eBook Reader. Move it back into your collection. Drop the collection to eBook Reader.

Lots of steps - there might be a more straightforward way. But I followed this process for each book with the offensive bookmarks and now the eBook Reader is perfect. It's a little thing, but with so many copies of bookmarks from books I finished, it made the feature unusable and unappealing.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
Nivek
Nivek began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylork1 View Post
Finally, this problem is solved. Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's what you have to do. For each book that has the multiple, repeated bookmarks:
1. In the eBook Library, delete the book from the collection and the "Books" section. This will not remove the corresponding file from your PC so you can re-import it later.
2. Plug in your eBook Reader and go to the book. Using the "Info" feature, write down the filename so you can re-import it later.
3. In the eBook Library, go to the "Reader" section and delete the book from the collection and the "Books" section.
4. In the eBook Library, do a File | Import Files... and find the filename that came from the eBook Reader. Move it back into your collection. Drop the collection to eBook Reader.

Lots of steps - there might be a more straightforward way. But I followed this process for each book with the offensive bookmarks and now the eBook Reader is perfect. It's a little thing, but with so many copies of bookmarks from books I finished, it made the feature unusable and unappealing.
I was having this problem too. I ended up getting over 18k bookmarks at one point and it took 4 HOURS to get the Reader turned on (it was so bad that I lost one bar of charge while the thing turned on). I called support and they weren't too helpful (read: didn't know what was going on).

I just kept deleting the bookmarks from the device and the problem just went away. I still use the Synch option and it works great for me.

/Kevin
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote