Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
dek
Enthusiast
dek began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600, iPod touch
Dictionary look up

The Apple store sells dictionaries for iPod touch or provides free ones. Are these accessible from other applications? For instance, is it possible to look up the definitions in the dictionaries from a Web browser?

I also use Stanza and eReader with my iPod touch. Are the dictionaries accessible from the readers (e.g. look up)?

Thanks.
dek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
To my knowledge, the dictionaries sold in the iTunes store are stand-alone, and do not interact with any other applications. I could be wrong, as I have not tried any, though.

Stanza does not have dictionary support at this point, but as recently as 16 Jan 2009 posts to their forum state they are working on it. No ETA as far as I have seen.

The eReader software does support dictionaries, though you have to buy one formatted for eReader. I have and it works well enough. Not quite as simple as some integrations I have used, but it is quick and flexible, so hard to complain much.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
ipsg
ipsg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
The other reader with dictionary functionality is BookZ, although you have to find your own stardict dictionary databases through the internet
ipsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
jaybee
Enthusiast
jaybee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Touch PRS-500
The current version of Stanza has on-line dictionary access from within the program. You simply touch the word until it "lights up," then touch "define" and you are taken to on-line definitions. Very convenient!
jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote