Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
So what is everyone's settings for reading ebooks

right now Ive been using "Sepia" and having the brightness just a bit below 50% using "small" text and Georgia.

I'm quite surprised how much I'm enjoying reading on it.

Last edited by boswd; 11-22-2010 at 02:08 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
cwosigns
cwosigns began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor/Droid Incredible
I have mine set to publisher defaults, and most times brightness is all the way down.
cwosigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Gray background

Georgia text set to smallest

The six layouts I have set to the first one on the left and the fourth one for the least amount of border.

Brightness is probably between 20 and 25 percent.

Reading on this thing is a real pleasure.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah I started out using Gray, that is a great way to slowly adjust to LCD coming from eink. I went to butter but I think as of right now Sepia works best for me
Old 11-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Great topic!

Georgia (I haven't played with the other ones yet), Sepia and Night, Text = 3rd one (I have astigmatism cut me some slack ), Line Spacing = middle, Margins = 1st, Brightness = 1/3

This is pure ereading bliss!!!

Last edited by SCION; 11-22-2010 at 07:46 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
boswd
Banned

I love night as well.

at night when my wife and I settle in for Sunday night tv in the living room, we usually have one lamp on which is a fairly low wattage so the room is dimmly lit, (it's cozy I guess) and I tested out the "Night" background, it worked out great. Though I wouldn't be my everyday reading setting but for that type of reading condition, it was very nice.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I can relate.

It's a nice change from a book light. I would illuminate the whole room with the book light I use for my Sony.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
mad5427
mad5427 doesn't littermad5427 doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
This is my first ereader as I've been holding out for the generation with a good touch screen. This is it.

I'm really impressed. It's very comfortable on the eyes. I had the background on the standard white with Georgia and it was fine. I changed the background to the sepia and was even more impressed. It just feels very good. Page turns have been so quick.

My wife hates the idea of the device as she's thinks it's a travesty and paper books are king. I'm the one out of the two of us who actually collects and loves the physical books, so it's shocking that I'm the one embracing the ebook format.

It think she'll come around when she spends a little time with the sepia background and the nice georgia font. One night reading with the lights out and only this thing illuminated should hopefully sway her.
mad5427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
i wish there was more customization. i'd prefer black bg with red text since i read mainly at night. i wonder if can go into each epub and edit the css to make that publisher's default.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I usually go for the sepia or night setting. I'm hoping B&N one day decides on expanding the list of color options. I have a special fondness for red text on a black backround.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Red light is good for not spoiling your night vision.

Trying out the Sepia myself instead of light gray. Looks good so far.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
When I read at night, I prefer a pure black background, so I add this to the ePubs:

Code:
body {
       background-color:#000000;
       color:#dddddd;
 }
The result is that, in "publisher defaults", I get black background and white-ish text. You can tweak the brightness of the text and the darkness of the background to suite your taste.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
For indoor reading at low light, I use “Night” mode with very brightness 20% or below. For outdoor reading, I go back to "Normal" mode with the brightness crank up to 80%. I am very surprised that even at very bright day and with direct sunlight, the device is still readable while the LCD in the cell phone is totally gone.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Yes, outdoor reading is phenomenal compared to other devices. Someone referred to the highest brightness setting as "the sun".
Old 11-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I keep changing the settings. Its nice to mix up the fonts and backgrounds. Mostly use the night setting since that is when I do most of my reading.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote