Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #121
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
It is what it is; cheap.
You can praise, excuse and blindly-accept all you like but the fact is they cocked up with the first gen, they're cocking up with the second gen from what i'm reading on here and they're struggling to keep up.
Can i understand their problem? Of course.
Do i accept it as a valid excuse for a business providing a product and service? No.
Hire more people, do what it takes to sort your shit out... if you're going to expand into a industry (and a second device clearly indicates that they want to be a continuing force in the ereader and ebook world) then you have to risk an outlay at some point.
I've been reading these threads daily ever since I bought my Kobo and while it has had its growing pains it is still a fine device - I am keeping mine and recommending them heavily to my friends, even giving a couple as gifts.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 11-12-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: edited for inappropriateness
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #122
Wet Coast
Wet Coast began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Original & Wifi
Oh dear, and things had just settled down and we were being civil again

Last edited by Wet Coast; 11-12-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Quote was inappropriate as noted in above edit
Wet Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #123
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
I think someone needs to take a timeout and read a book. Or an ebook that is.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #124
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Although when i suggested this as a firmware update possibility, i was told that i should edit things in Sigil, convert and pimp in Calibre and then put on the device... all requiring a DRM strip.
If it was me, my intentions were the best. You asked for help and I
offered one.

Quote:
So you have the kobo software and or/ade to download the file, DRM strip, another program to edit, another program to clean up and transfer. All for the sake of using the devices real estate.
No, you don't. You could leave it as it is any time.

Quote:
So the solution is either to lobby the publishers to do things right (i'll bet they'll listen), have a margin cut feature in the kobo firmware (i would've thought this was viable) or waste shedloads of time editing and hacking your books.
All 3 options are fine with me. An amount of time and effort differs, from
the very first to the very third. Imagine when you will move publisher to
hire new workers to read. Firmware upgrade looks like future option. Last
one is under our hands. We could tweak it as we like, without a mistake.
Line still to the right? Something in css. No toc? Etc...

To be frank, it is a real pain to get newspapers on the kobo 1 without
wifi. It simply goes beyond logic. The reader was made that way to be
cheap and competitive. To read new issue of <insert>, you have to con-
nect device to usb adapter first and <insert your own words>. Not simple.
With wifi it could be simple. There is no poll if people like text or pictures
in newspapers. If text, no problemos. Someone could compile lynx to
read text or alike. Someone has any idea, without cursing?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #125
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
So the solution is either to lobby the publishers to do things right (i'll bet they'll listen), have a margin cut feature in the kobo firmware (i would've thought this was viable) or waste shedloads of time editing and hacking your books.
Best solution's lobbying the publishers, despite the convenience of having a firmware solution. Sure, the margin-cut feature on ereaders such as the Sonys is worth having on the Kobo, but it doesn't work for every EPUB (to my great frustration). There's some crazily convoluted coding in some EPUBs that thwarts margin-cuts and which the average reader wouldn't (and shouldn't) expect to fix. I'm placing the blame on publishers and their desire to as closely replicate the reading-on-paper experience as possible.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #126
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoda View Post
I've been reading these threads daily ever since I bought my Kobo and while it has had its growing pains it is still a fine device - I am keeping mine and recommending them heavily to my friends, even giving a couple as gifts.
... umm congrats? I'm not sure where anyone, including myself, said that anyone should get rid of their Kobo or not recommend them to anyone.
I bought 3 for family and myself and can attribute another 3 sales to me recommending the device and showing it off to people.
So, err, who wins? I'm a bit lost if this was an argument, point, or an exercise for your fingers.

Zoran - I wasn't pointing fingers about who proposed what solution. As for the rest of your post, i can't really comment because i miss the gist of what you say half the time as you're not from an english-speaking background; that's my problem, not yours mate.

Viviena - I agree it's the ideal solution, but it is also the solution that is least likely to get an outcome. A margin cut feature on the Kobo would be the best the end-user could expect in my opinion.
BTW, which files have you had trouble with re: the margin cut on Sony? I've yet to come across one (but i haven't had it for long, so i'm sure i will eventually).

As for the rest of the 'civil' and 'read a book' wad; what's this all about? If it's directed at me then i'll say that i'm allowed to express my opinions as much as the next person... feel free not to read them.
Unless there was something i missed (i noticed someone's post was edited, so i obviously missed something)
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #127
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Zoran - I wasn't pointing fingers about who proposed what solution.
No problemos. The very idea is fine, so there's a reason to mention it again.

Quote:
As for the rest of your post, i can't really comment because i miss the gist of what you say half the time as you're not from an english-speaking background; that's my problem, not yours mate.
Even my mom misses the point what I'm talking about from time to time.
Regarding no english speaking folks, there would be no kobo reader without
Linus, who is from Finland. Canadians might recall Marshall McLuhan, who
invented the idiom "global village". Cultures are closer today, spite lingo
barrier. So, you could read first sentence from my post. It is all there.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #128
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Even my mom misses the point what I'm talking about from time to time.
Regarding no english speaking folks, there would be no kobo reader without
Linus, who is from Finland. Canadians might recall Marshall McLuhan, who
invented the idiom "global village". Cultures are closer today, spite lingo
barrier. So, you could read first sentence from my post. It is all there.
As i said mate, it's my problem... not yours
I just need to be more attentive when reading forums
Old 11-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #129
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Viviena - I agree it's the ideal solution, but it is also the solution that is least likely to get an outcome. A margin cut feature on the Kobo would be the best the end-user could expect in my opinion.
BTW, which files have you had trouble with re: the margin cut on Sony? I've yet to come across one (but i haven't had it for long, so i'm sure i will eventually).
Regarding the book which didn't work with Sony's margin-cuts, it was some time ago and I don't recall its title, but it was purchased from KoboBooks. The margins were ridiculous, and encoded in two different places -- twice the fun hunting them out! The coding was seemingly as convoluted as possible, and drove me nuts until I picked up a tip here on MR to easily eliminate the offending margin settings.

To be fair though, that was the worst book I've encountered by far (to top it all, it had been poorly proofread). Most of the other EPUBs I've bought from KoboBooks I've had no problems with, or if I did, they were at least easily rectified.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #130
digital_steve
Muppet

I've only had a couple of shockers from KoboBooks... which is pretty good, since i've basically got all my books there thus far
Old 11-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #131
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Regarding ePubs with margin issues ...

The publishers aren't trying to force bad margins on you. They likely don't know there are margin issues -- or didn't when they created the file(s) in question.

Some ePubs view perfectly fine on some readers, but look wonky in others. We adjusted our margins when we saw that they looked too big in Kobo. (This was before we actually launched our books in ePub format, so none of the big margins ever went out.)

If publishers know there is an issue with margins on Kobo, it's a simple matter to change style sheets to allow for margins that work on all devices. I've never had a problem, anyway.

By and large I find that the formatting in ePub files from publishers is vastly superior to the modified formatting Kobo supplies through their desktop app (I loathe the fact that Kobo takes it upon themselves to reformat, often screwing up books in the process -- and dropping images, too). But most publishers are new to ePub and are learning as they go. They're open to tips on how to improve what they do. Really -- they don't want to create a bad reading experience.

Which publishers' books are giving you trouble? If they're Canadian publishers, I'm sometimes in contact with the people who handle ePubs at other companies, so I could mention the issue to them.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #132
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I updated my desktop app and now I am having all kinds of problems - failed to decrypt messages and desktop app crashing on sync. Could it be that the latest desktop app isn't playing well with the original Kobo with dated firmware?
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #133
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
How dated? It seems to need 1.4 of the firmware.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #134
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
There was another desktop update and it seems to have resolved itself
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #135
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
OK, "soon" seems to be dragging on now.... Does anyone have an update on when the new firmware for the original kobo will be coming out? Any chance on seeing it by Christmas? Facebook showed an original kobo with a newspaper on it (16 Nov), but no date for delivery.

I want to buy myself a treat for xmas and it's either going to be a kindle (if kobo doesn't upgrade), or a phone....The kindle is starting to look attractive...
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote