Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 02-07-2003, 04:16 PM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Smile

Gotta love snowdays...

Instructions: Setting Up Your iSilo to Run with Windows Scheduler

Note: I use Windows ME. From what I’ve seen this is pretty much the same for each version of the recent Windows OS. If not, we'll all learn to adjust and help each other.

Important: For this you will need to fetch and install iSiloXC.

Ok. Open up your Control Panels.
Open ‘Scheduled Tasks’.
Click on ‘Add a Scheduled Task’.
The Wizard should run.

In the pop-up, choose ‘iSiloXC’ (if you don’t see it, browse and find where you put it on your hard drive. It’s probably in C:\Program Files\iSilo\iSiloX\ Make sure you choose ‘iSiloXC’ and NOT ‘iSiloX’. Big difference.)
Hit ‘Next’.

In the next dialogue, you need to decide what you want to call your task at the top. For the sake of this example, let’s call it ‘iSilo’.
Then you need to decide when you want to run your task. For this example, let’s try ‘One Time Only’ for yuks. Hit ‘Next’.

In the next dialogue key it up for a few minutes into the future so we can see its stuff. Hit ‘next’.

Note: When you’re done this will place an icon into your ‘Scheduled Tasks’ folder called ‘iSilo’.
Double click on this icon.

This is the important part. Wake up.

Change the ‘Run’ line to:

"C:\Program Files\iSilo\iSiloX\iSiloXC.exe" -x "C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\iSilo.ixl" -u

Change the ‘Start in’ line to:

"C:\Program Files\iSilo\iSiloX\iSiloXC.exe"

Very Important: You need the quotes for this. Do it exactly as it appears above.

Just make sure that iSiloXC is in the correct directory above and that the .ixl file you’re trying to call is in the directory you’re trying to call.

Note that in this example, my ‘iSilo.ixl’ is on my Desktop; my iSiloXC application file is in the iSiloX folder within the iSilo directory under Program Files (this makes sense if you look at the directory tree).

Your example iSilo.ixl file should run at the specified time automatically. It will popup as a DOS Command line event and start downloading the files.

Play around with the scheduling times and figure out what works for you. Ask questions if you need help...

... and happy reading!
Old 02-08-2003, 08:25 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Excellent!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 03:31 PM   #3
sydres
sydres began at the beginning.

sunshine, thank you for posting those instructions.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Shirley. I hope it helped! I'd appreciate it if anyone who is lost would post asking for help/clarification, that way we can improve upon this base.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
extraction
extraction began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T
Many thanks for this outstanding site and knowledge base, and for opening up a whole new level on my Palm...

Here's the Question - I hope one of you gurus can answer this...

When using Scheduled Tasks to auto download from the iSilo.ixl file , how does ISiloXC know which to download??? Is there somewhere to tag my favorites so that when iSilo.ixl is called it recognizes them?

All I see happening when I set the Scheduler is iSiloXC flashing up for a split-second (is this right ?!?) and then nothing gets downloaded for Hot Sync.

I've sucessfully installed and configured the VFS WCC and am able to Hot Sync my favorites conventionally.

Are there other major changes to the WIndows scheduler route using the VFS WCC?

I've read most of the posts and cannot elucidate how to do this.

Thanks in advance

Windows XP
Palm Tungsten T
16 MB Ram
256 MB SD card

Old 02-21-2003, 12:11 AM   #6
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Quote:
Originally posted by extraction@Feb 20 2003, 08:18 PM
When using Scheduled Tasks to auto download from the iSilo.ixl file , how does ISiloXC know which to download???  Is there somewhere to tag my favorites so that  when iSilo.ixl is called it recognizes them?
If I understand your question correctly...

I opened a fresh .ixl file and did a copy/paste of the sites I wanted out of the big wcc.ixl file. I reference this newly created .ixl file that only has the sites I'm interested in, and not the complete wcc.ixl. When I want to add some, I simple copy/paste into that file.

Then, I run the scheduler using this command:

"c:\Program Files\iSilo\iSilox\iSiloXC.exe" -x "c:\Windows\Desktop\GVs_wcc110.ixl" -u

Since the .ixl file is set to load to card, it installs in the CardInst/Slot-MemoryStick/ directory where it will sync to the MS.

Hope this helps...and hope I understood your dilemma correctly! if not, just ask.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:05 AM   #7
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by extraction@Feb 20 2003, 08:18 PM
All I see happening when I set the Scheduler is iSiloXC flashing up for a split-second (is this right ?!?) and then nothing gets downloaded for Hot Sync.

iSiloXC should popup a small MS DOS screen and stay up on your screen until it's done. You'll see it doing it's read out too... It will say something like "Document 1 of 10: Slate"

If it's only popping up for a second, this is a sure sign it's not working right. Don't waste your time trying to sync to your card -- there won't be any data.

You can always check your iSilol folder, which should be in your hotsync directory (for ex, 'C:/Program Files/Sony Handheld/bob/iSilol/'), to see if any of your files converted.

Continue to ask questions if you're having a hard time, and let us know at which parts you're getting stuck. We were all new to this at one point.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:54 PM   #8
extraction

OK - I'm still having problems with iSiloXC only popping up for a second when scheduler is set to run. Also, if I navigate to the iSiloX directory and try to run iSiloXC.exe directly I get the same result - viz - NO access to command options, just a brief flash of a black <dos> screen...

Assume...

1) I am set to hotsync to my SD card via the VFS WCC list, and can successfully do so manually ergo conduit to card is OK. iSilo is on RAM, .pdb's go to the card

2) iSiloXC is in the following directory path c:\Program Files\iSilo\iSiloX\iSiloXC.exe

3) I have created a "fresh" .ixl file ( extractions_ixl) with my favorites that I want updated therein...

4)I have modified the Scheduled Task command line ("Run") to :

"C:\Program Files\iSilo\iSiloX\iSiloXC.exe" -x "C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\extractions_wcc.ixl" -u
and the "start in" line to:

5)I have re-downloaded iSiloXC and re-installed it

6) After the Task runs, nothing shows in the iSiloI directory.

Am I missing something obvious or is there a problem w/ iSiloXC on my system as I suspect (Windoze XP)???

Thanks again for helping me get this far...

Old 02-21-2003, 10:46 PM   #9
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Two things to try:

1. Change your command line in the scheduler to this:

"C:\Program Files\iSilo\iSiloX\iSiloX.exe" -x "C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\extractions_wcc.ixl" -u

(changed to run off iSiloX vs. iSiloXC...on my system, w98, either one works...although in the back of my mind there's a reason why you'd want to use XC...)

2. What happens if you copy the command line and paste into the "Run..." command on the start menu? (not familiar enough with XP, but assume they kept the "Run..." off Start).

Again, that works for me, and will tell us whether it's a command-line issue or a scheduler issue.

Not much, but grasping for straws at this point!
Old 02-22-2003, 09:18 PM   #10
extraction

gv -

Thanks for all the help thus far...

I tried your two suggestions to no avail. When the Scheduler is due to run there is only the briefest glimpse of a dos screen.

In the Scheduler log the following is posted for each failure...

"iSiloXC.job" (iSiloXC.exe) 2/22/2003 8:26:56 PM ** WARNING **
Invalid working directory..
The specific error is:
0x0000010b: The directory name is invalid.
Verify that the directory exists and try again.
"iSiloXC.job" (iSiloXC.exe)
Started 2/22/2003 8:26:56 PM
"iSiloXC.job" (iSiloXC.exe)
Finished 2/22/2003 8:26:56 PM
Result: The task completed with an exit code of (1).

I cannot understand how the directory name is invalid!?!...my location is...

C:\Program Files\iSilo\iSiloX\iSiloXC

I tried putting iSiloXC in its own Folder within ISiloX but this caused an unauthorized access error...

If you double-click your iSiloXC do you get a dos pop-up? (mine again is <1 sec).
Is your iSiloXC about 644 kb in size?

Anything else you or anyone can possibly think of??

Maybe I'll have to email iSilo support otherwise...

Thanks again

Old 02-22-2003, 10:05 PM   #11
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by extraction@Feb 21 2003, 08:54 PM
and the "start in" line to:
I think I found your problem. Your start in line should be a directory path only, and not include a filename. I know sunshine showed it that way, but when I set up a new scheduling event using the schedule wizard, the start in field was a path without a file.

Your start in line should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\iSilo\iSiloX"

Try removing \iSiloXC.exe from your start in line and I'll wager it will run okay.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:36 AM   #12
extraction

gv -

thanx again for all the time and suggestions...

I have excluded \iSiloXC fromthe "Start In" line to no avail...

I have re-downloaded and re-installed both iSiloX and XC and redone the Scheduled Task from scratch with the same results...

I'm beginning to think this is a Windows XP issue??...

Anyhow its driving me **#@$% crazy...

Thanx again
Old 02-23-2003, 11:16 AM   #13
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by extraction@Feb 23 2003, 07:36 AM
I'm beginning to think this is a Windows XP issue??...
I have but one more idea, then I'm cleaned out. You can try creating a batch file that contains the command line and then have scheduler call that batch file instead of executing the command. My weak theory is that if the problem is related between the scheduler and the iSiloXC command line syntax, and you can run the command directly okay, then it might work.

If you don't remember how to set up a batch file (heck, it took me awhile to remember...who uses DOS anymore?), I'll send you the one I created.

Other than that, guess it's time for you to contact iSilo support.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:21 PM   #14
extraction

gv -

If you have the time to do this I would be most grateful...

I do not have the know-how to create a batch file...

This sounds like a good work-around to me...

I'll add my email address to my profile if you are able to do this...

Thanx
Old 02-23-2003, 01:35 PM   #15
gvtexas
Addict

No need for email...we aren't trading secrets here...

Disclaimer: This works in W98, and I assume you can still do batch files in XP, but don't know exactly how they are handled. It won't do any harm, but may not respond as predicted. When you first run a batch file in Windows, it creates a .PIF file, which is what you would use to run the batch file manually after the first use. For scheduler purposes, I think the batch file will be what you'll call from the scheduler.

Save the attached file to your desktop (it's already set up with your paths as you mentioned above), then create a new schedule event and point to this file to run.

Just to be extra clear, this is the command contained in the batch file:

"C:\Program Files\iSilo\iSiloX\iSiloXC.exe" -x "C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\extractions_wcc.ixl" -u

If this fails, it's bound to be an XP issue...
Attached Files
File Type: bat runisilo.bat (104 Bytes, 468 views)