Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
New Firmware - Good, Bad or Ugly?

Those of you who installed the new firmware, now that you had several days to use it, what is your judgment?

In particular, I read about some problems, like frozen cybooks. How common are these? What causes them?

Improvements seem to be small. Are they worth the trouble and the risk?

In particular, not much rendering improvements were made. So I presume the same old big/complex PDFs and PRCs still crash, right?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Problems: None

Improvements: Event buffering makes moving the highlight cursor in "dictionary lookup" mode significantly faster.

Verdict: A minor, but useful, improvement.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Problems: None
I'd say

Problems: same as before (some random-ish crashes when opening big PDFs, some button presses not registered...). I still haven't suffered the "not able to bookmark" problem with this firmware, though.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Pages still not turning despite green diode flashing, no improvement.
Looking up a word in dictionary seems to be a bit faster.
I never had any other problems, so nothing to report on this.

In summary, if you have bookmarking bug, of file systems corrupting bug, maybe it'll be useful to install.

On the other hand, if you don't have those problems, there's at least one user here for whom the update bricked the Cybook, so watch out.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Generally Neutral , though edging slightly towards negative .
Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
There was also some report about pfd files not working with new firmware that worked with the old.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Didn't you say that it had fixed your "words in a dictionary not being found" bug, Tommy?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
I had no problem applying the update. The "next" button still misses some clicks, the choosing of a word for look-up is faster and skipping pages is easier. I experienced the loss of last read page rarely and randomly with the old firmware. It has so far not happened with the new one. All in all I'd say neutral to good.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Didn't you say that it had fixed your "words in a dictionary not being found" bug, Tommy?
Yes, my test case does no longer trigger a problem. Hard to know if the actual bug is fixed since they did not list this as fixed in the release note.

The image size problem is listed a fixed.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
thanks for info

Well if the number of installation problems is so small then I guess I'll give it a try.
Sometimes I need to page-down several times to skip TOC or something like that, so better event processing would be useful.

thanks
Old 05-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
My take.

On the Build 685 firmware my take is this.

Actual bugs "fixed" - Positive. Yes, there were bugs that needed fixing. Yes, *some* of these bugs appear to be "fixed". That's a "good thing".

Look-and-feel (navigation control "fixes") - Negative. I'm finding that the navigation control does weird things now. Not often, not clearly repeatable, but the problem now occurs that didn't occur before.

PDF - Neutral. I don't like PDF; it never formats or displays the way *I* want it to on the Cybook - unless I damn well extract all the text and images and then re-create as a "properly" (to my taste anyway) formatted PDF. And if I'm going to do that, I'd rather just create a Mobi ebook out of it. But I understand that this release "fixes" some bugs, so I can't really say that this firmware update is a "bad thing" for PDF.

Features they knew we've been clamoring for - Negative. Sorry, but for many english and european-speaking readers, fixing an asian-language bug is, to say the least, misdirected effort. And so many of their initial customers were non-Asian. Sorry, Bookeen, but you could have spent more time getting the folder/sub-folder feature set up in the Library, or FIXED the hyperlinks issue with multiple-HTML-file ebooks.

All in all, I'm rather disappointed with this firmware update.

Derek
Old 05-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Not very impressed at all with the 'update' ..

Negative: beforehand I didn't have the 'page not turning when attempted' bug at all but now it's about 3 out of 5 turns!!

Postive: beforehand I did have the 'bookmarking not working' some of the time but so far, since the update, it's not happened.

As I've mentioned elsewhere I feel as tho this 'upgrade' has been pretty much a non-event .. we were all waiting for it and what's been presented is a little pathetic (imo)

All told tho I still love my Cybook! .. and even if I was looking now and taking everything into account the Cybook would be my reader of choice!

Loopy
Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
No problems. Zippier page turning.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I think the page turns are faster, but other than that nothing to write home about.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Not bad or ugly for me -- pretty much a wash. On the plus side, I haven't seen the bookmark bug reappear nor am I having any hangs on dictionary lookup which I did see occasionally. On the minus side, I am now having some page navigation problems, especially when moving backwards -- occasionally, the unit will page back and forth repeatedly a few times when I hit the left or up buttons.

On balance, pretty much a "meh" for me. If I used the dictionary more often, I'd vote "good."
Closed Thread