Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Apple USB chargers won't work with the T1. Don't even bother trying.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Apple USB chargers won't work with the T1. Don't even bother trying.
That seems like a rather large generalisation when someone has clearly stated they've had it work.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
That seems like a rather large generalisation when someone has clearly stated they've had it work.
And I can say I've had it not work with the 500, 505, 600, & 650. So I know from experience it doesn't work. Sony is not iApple compatible. compatible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #19
nindustrial
Enthusiast
nindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: PRS-T1
I can second (third?) that - I tried my T1 with my Apple OEM iPhone charger and the included USB cable, and it did NOT work. It did not crash or shutdown, just did not charge; no visual indication in the upper-right battery icon, nor any lit up red led by the power button.
nindustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #20
Sega
Enthusiast
Sega began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Nice. The micro USB charger for my bluetooth headset works well with T1. I'm glad that I don't have to have another cord on my bedside table.
Sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #21
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
My T1 can recharge with my Samsung Phone charger.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #22
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Thanks, I have been charging with the wall charger, works fine.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #23
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
For those of us downunder I have a PRS650 and was using a cheap as Generic Blackberry Bold charger I picked up from ebay for $5 however after a year or so of use the cable at the bottom is wearing and I can now see the wires so it was time for a new one.

I am currently buying some T1s as gifts and needed chargers for those too, I am working on the assumption that if it works on the PRS650 it will work with the T1.

I got the Jackson USB Charger(PT1USB) from Dick Smith it seemed like a pretty clever idea to me as you can still use the powerpoint while charger a device

However it did not charge the PRS650 so I returned it and got the Force Energy Efficient Micro USB AC charger it did work its like the one on this link http://www.jenlist.com.au/chargers/f...usb-ac-charger. Its also pretty clever in that after your device is full it turns off It was more than I wanted to pay but I was sick of chasing after them.
Hope this helps.
Mel
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #24
carve1
carve1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
This happened to me just now. Bought a lloytron (shrug) charger off the shelf at a local PowerCity, plugged it in and nothing happened. Hmmm. Put the PRS-T1 to sleep mode and tried again. This time the screen went blank and the device reset itself (downloaded files are still present).

Which freaked me out given that I just bought this thing!

I guess it's the same problem as others were describing. On the front of the charger's packet it says "for mobile phones, ipod and mp3 players,...."

I guess the "iPod" bit is the problem here. Plugged it into my laptop and it seems ok, guess no damage occurred.
carve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #25
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And I can say I've had it not work with the 500, 505, 600, & 650. So I know from experience it doesn't work. Sony is not iApple compatible. compatible.
Come on, the 500, 505, 600 were all a different story--they had regular mini (not mcro) USB ports AND they also had the round yellow Sony charging socket. None of the earlier Sony Readers charged via generic USB chargers; you needed the USB port connected to a PC with Library running on it so the Reader would be 'recognized' to charge. Any old PSP round plug charger or cable would work with any of these models.

The 650 is another story. Since the 350/650, when Sony switched to micro USB and dropped the round charging port, pretty much any generic micro usb charger orm charging cable works and no 'live' pc connection is needed. I say 'pretty much' because it seems that some Apple micro usb chargers won't charge the newer Readers, based on comments here. The generic micro USB cables and blackberry chargers all seem to charge 350's and 650's just fine. Perhaps Apple did do something screwy with their micro usb chargers, but generic ones should be fine.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #26
henson0115
Enthusiast
henson0115 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1
all usb chargers should be 5v in the uk(not sure in other countrys but should still be the same), its also what usb runs on in a computer (5v rail..)so they all WILL work fine.. the only exception is where the put special circuitry in the PLUG. i would however stay away from dual usb chargers running from a usb slot if it isnt powered, there are many sites out there that explain why(google is your friend). sometimes they wont even work at the wall. why? well because the plug is giving you 5v and each device requires 5v duh, pretty simple. google is your friend.
henson0115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #27
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by henson0115 View Post
all usb chargers should be 5v in the uk(not sure in other countrys but should still be the same), its also what usb runs on in a computer (5v rail..)so they all WILL work fine.. the only exception is where the put special circuitry in the PLUG. i would however stay away from dual usb chargers running from a usb slot if it isnt powered, there are many sites out there that explain why(google is your friend). sometimes they wont even work at the wall. why? well because the plug is giving you 5v and each device requires 5v duh, pretty simple. google is your friend.
Once more... it is the current that counts... yes all USB is 5V but what makes unpowered unreliable is that each device requires a minimum amount of CURRENT... usually at least 500mA (0.5A) for an eReader but this is a minimum and some USB PSUs will supply more which allows a device to take as much as it needs (it cannot take too much if more than enough is available) and means faster charging as well...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #28
henson0115
Enthusiast

i agree, i was just making it understandable for people who dont really understand
Old 12-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #29
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
+1
a cable is just a bunch of wire, brand names or go-fast stripes are irrelevant, so long as all pins are connected.

circuitry -in-plug is another issue but I have an (ebay ) ipod charger & it works fine with PRS 650.

ther are lots of idoits who pay megabucks for e.g. de-luxe HDMI cables , or super-thick analogue HI-fi cables /"oxygen-free" speaker cables- clearly they never mastered basic high school physics

my PRS650 works fine with every ( generic ) cable / charger I own.

PS that was an "oxygen-free" , rare-metal-enhanced rant
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #30
henson0115
Enthusiast

speaker cables are worth paying extra for but only up to a certain strand limit, but hdmi cables your only paying for the brand for example sony probably make them last longer then cheap chinese make but at the end of the day like i keep explaining to people a digital signal is different to analog, if you half cut a digital cable you get no signal if you do the same with an analog cable you get a crappy picture, meaning if theres something wrong with a digital cable,you get no picture, but analog you will still get a picture. anyways im off track.. some people like paying a little extra knowing its branded and comes with warranty etc, but for myself it depends what it is. and a charger it really doesn't matter to specifically, in some cases cheap chargers do crap up and have ruined devices, you just have to check them out before you plug them in, also its the same with branded chargers. also elcreative i forgot to mention its a bad idea to charge anything from a usb hub unless its powered as unpowered hubs are only designed for things that have there own power supply, like printers and scanners etc if you have 4 phones plugged in for example there not going to charge and there going to ruin the usb hub and likely the port.