Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #31
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You can place the light on any corner if you are willing to change the screen orientation. For example if you want it in upper left, put it in landscape with left side down. Or lower left, portrait with top side down. Presumably operating the keyboard is not something you can do comfortably lying on your side regardless of where it is.
I had not thought of this, but now you suggest it, it would work. However it "feels weird" thinking about the book lit from below, if you see what I mean, and I think my hand holding the top side might cast a shadow on the page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I cancelled my cover-only order to think about this some more. I'll probably wind up getting the cover+light. It's too cool to have a reading light that you don't have to manage batteries for, and that stows away so neatly. But what color to pick...

I do wonder what happens if the LEDs burn out. Do LEDs ever burn out? Haven't seen one do this yet myself so it's probably nothing to worry about...
I agree that the self-contained light is very cool. But is it an extra 30$ cool when I already have something that will do the job? Hmmm.

What color to pick? That's easy; pick red :-)

I don't think LEDs burn out. I have had some LED flashlights and headlamps for years and I've never seen it happen.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #32
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

LEDs can definitely burn out. They do, however, last an awfully long time.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #33
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I took a closer look at the product photos on Amazon. I must say, the lighting looks rather uneven - in one the table under the Kindle is brighter than the screen! So I'm definitely not going to order a cover until we have some reviews to consider. I know I could return it regardless but I can wait for more information.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #34
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I ordered one. I like the idea of not having to turn the bedside lamp on to read. Plus, no batteries, compact size that tucks away when you don't need it, I like the idea a lot. I hope the actual cover holds up.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #35
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Well - I have a mighty bright from the K1 days and the M-edge light for my K2 case. I imagine that when m-edge updates their cases, that light will fit in the new case.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #36
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I prefer to hold my K2 without a case. I just have one I zip it up in for protection when I am carting it around. I have a mighty bright (and it works real well) but I found if I dim my bedside lamp, and turn the font way up, I can read without anything else. So no case for me until Belkin comes out with the K3 series.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #37
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
I can't believe it, but I actually just bought the $35 non-lighted kindle cover. I've been perusing the likes of ebay, and the current m-edge covers for the K2, and I just don't like the looks of them quite as much as the bona-fide kindle cover. I have an LED flat booklight on my way from dealextreme, a remnant of my temporary tryst with the PRS-600 (an accessory I ordered before returning the sony) which should work well with the cover, so I don't think I need the built-in one for $30 more.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #38
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
I have just got a Mighty Bright for less than £10 so now just have to wait for the Kindle case, and the Kindle itself (whenever they decide to send it!).

I ordered the blue case, but I want a purple one, or even a cream one....I couldn't quite bring myself to get the pink!
bluemoonjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #39
Pandora
Pandora began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone, Kindle 3 (soon!)
I almost pre-ordered the cover with the light but then decided to wait for some reviews before making a decision. I would also like to see what else becomes available and then make my choice.
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #40
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Meh I've caved in and ordered the pink cover with the light even though it was more than I wanted to pay for a case.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #41
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
When I pre-ordered my K3 I also ordered the cover with light because I figured I could simply remove the cover from my order if I changed my mind. I went with the black one because I think it's less conspicuous than the other colours.

I'm still sitting on the fence about it because it is so pricey, but I have a cover with built-in light for my Sony PRS-300 and really like it. Oh well, I still have a couple of weeks to decide.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #42
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I don't like the cover because it feels like I'm going to break the clips. I like the M-edge system better.
nguirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #43
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
At first I was leery about the clips also.....but if you just remember.....when putting your k3 in the cover, start at the bottom, with the K3 at an angle, then slide in the top.

When releasing start at the top, sliding the clip down to release.

I don't worry about it anymore.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #44
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Putting it on is fine. I mean when I open it. I like the Latitude anyways because it offers more protection.
nguirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #45
Shibito
Shibito began at the beginning.

Device: none
If you plan on getting a case, definitely go with the one with the light. It's worth the extra $25 to be able to read anywhere. If you don't need a case at all, though, don't get one just for the light. For you, it sounds like your table lamps and whatever else you use will get the job done well enough.

I don't think I could manage without the Kindle case light. I like to read all over the place and the lighting isn't always ideal.

Last edited by Shibito; 09-24-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Shibito is offline   Reply With Quote