Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #16
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
With the money I saved choosing WiFi only
Awwww, I was hoping you would review the 3G web access with the new Kindle
I am going to have to wait for another Canuck to review it before I decide between Wi-Fi and 3G.
It is not the 50 bucks I am worried about but the extra battery life on Wi-Fi only model when radio is on is noticeable.

All the best
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Unhappy

I too was planning on grabbing a cover with the money saved buying the wi-fi only version, but they don't make purple covers
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #18
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
It is not the 50 bucks I am worried about but the extra battery life on Wi-Fi only model when radio is on is noticeable.
On the current Kindle 2i there is a big difference in battery life depending on whether the radio is on or off. Luckily you can easily turn the radio off when you don't need it - I assume this is the same on the new model. With the new model it states you get a months battery life with the radio off and over a week with it on. This is better than any other ereader that I know of. Personally I'd go for the 3G and just leave it off until you want to order a book / look up something on the web / answer your email / read mobile read etc ...
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #19
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
A lamp by the bed would work fine--anything that lets you read a regular book will let you read a Kindle.

I don't want to wake my husband by turning on the light so I use my little headlamp from camping. It gets more use for reading in bed than anything else. But 1) I do use it for other things, including camping and 2) I already had it so it didn't cost me anything extra.

The Kindle case-with-LED wouldn't work for me, as I lie on my right side to read, and the lamp arm would hit the mattress. But it might work great for other people; I look forward to hearing from people who have ordered it how it works out for them.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #20
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I placed my order for the Kindle 3 plus the lighted cover. I plan to take advantage of it in the car as the spousal unit and I often drive for an hour or more after dark on our many travels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I don't want to wake my husband by turning on the light so I use my little headlamp from camping. It gets more use for reading in bed than anything else. But 1) I do use it for other things, including camping and 2) I already had it so it didn't cost me anything extra.

The Kindle case-with-LED wouldn't work for me, as I lie on my right side to read, and the lamp arm would hit the mattress. But it might work great for other people; I look forward to hearing from people who have ordered it how it works out for them.
In my case, I lie on my left side, so it should work for me in bed. It will be much better than my current light -- a maglight flashlight held between my chin and left shoulder.

If you only need a light for reading in bed, then it sounds like the lighted cover isn't for you. But if you have other places where the light would come in handy, you might consider the lighted cover (since the light would always be with you) and continue to use your headlamp in bed.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post

You can place the light on any corner if you are willing to change the screen orientation. For example if you want it in upper left, put it in landscape with left side down. Or lower left, portrait with top side down. Presumably operating the keyboard is not something you can do comfortably lying on your side regardless of where it is.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-03-2010 at 05:44 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I cancelled my cover-only order to think about this some more. I'll probably wind up getting the cover+light. It's too cool to have a reading light that you don't have to manage batteries for, and that stows away so neatly. But what color to pick...

I do wonder what happens if the LEDs burn out. Do LEDs ever burn out? Haven't seen one do this yet myself so it's probably nothing to worry about...

Last edited by tomsem; 08-03-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #23
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
How is the light positioned in the case???

In my sony case its in the spine and is flexible so you can pull it out and move it around and position it exactly where you want it.

If the light on this case is rigid and can't be moved about much. I might just get the case on its own.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
How is the light positioned in the case???

In my sony case its in the spine and is flexible so you can pull it out and move it around and position it exactly where you want it.
That's a question I have as well. From the few pictures we have, it looks like there isn't much adjustment possible. It looks like it wouldn't generate glare (seems to have a shallow angle & that no light would bounce into your eyes) but I wonder if coverage is good.

If they have designed it with an optimum angle and it lights the screen evenly, that is actually a good thing. I don't really like having to adjust a reading light every time I clip one on, so one that I could just pull out and use without futzing would be great.

I guess I'll get one and if I don't like it, return it and try a different design.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #25
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I've been using a Rite Light LPL904 4 LED Book / Computer Light from Amazon. It costs about $11.60 USD. It casts a full spectrum light across the entire eBook screen without any glare or bright spots and runs on three AAA batteries.

I've tried a lot of book lights and nothing works with a leather cover better than this. You fold the cover back and clip this light to the front cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rite Lite LPL904 4 LED Book-Computer Light.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	56114  
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #26
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
My K1 is the identical height as the new K3, so I will probably keep the m-edge light I have and just buy a new cover from them. Hopefully that will work out OK.

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #27
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I got the cover with the light. I like the idea of having it "always there" instead of remembering to bring the mighty light I currently have.
Powering the light off the Kindle is fantastic and it seems like it will illuminate the screen just fine.

If it turns out to be no good, Amazon has a pretty good return policy within the first 30 days.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #28
mrExtreme
mrExtreme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
yeah me too, I order the cover with the light. initially I order normal cover, then I got an idea as cover with light is definitely worth when there is insufficient light source. So called to Amazon call centre and request them to change cover with the light.
mrExtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #29
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
I've got various reading lights available, as well as a pretty cool LED reading lamp that clips to my headboard, so I definitely think I'll forgo the light, since I usually like to hold my reading devices "naked" anyway...um, the device, sans cover...not me, sans clothes, just to clear that up.

Now I'm deciding whether to buy the $35 amazon cover or just buy a generic neoprene slip-cover on eBay to store it. I'm leaning towards the latter so that I don't have anything extra to juggle when holding the reader
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #30
exposition
exposition began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I do wonder what happens if the LEDs burn out. Do LEDs ever burn out? Haven't seen one do this yet myself so it's probably nothing to worry about...
Yes, eventually, but they have an extremely long life - about 7 times longer than compact flourescents, and up to 50 times longer than incandescents. The LED "bulb" should last for years and years.

And they draw fairly little power. Given the increased battery life as advertised by Amazon, I assume the new Kindle should see a pretty minor hit on battery life from the light. Of course, who knows in the real world!
exposition is offline   Reply With Quote