Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-15-2006, 04:39 AM   #1
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Does the iLiad allow PDF Highlighting?

I'm almost ready to buy my iLiad (even though it isn't ready...)
PDF comments (highlighting, underlining) are crucial for me. Does the viewer support them yet?
Are there any plans to enable highlighting with the stylus?

I attach a sample doc

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Review_Fireface_800.pdf (129.6 KB, 619 views)
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Highlighting

Yes, the iLiad does.

In this particular case: your sample, the highlighting is visible, but difficult to see, because the bright yellow color is translated to a very light grey.

Scribbling on PDF documents works great now. So you can draw on the document. It is not exactly highlighting, but you can draw circles and boxes around text passages en write and draw in the margins. And underline sentences.

Last edited by henkvdg; 12-15-2006 at 05:05 AM.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2006, 05:59 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hmm, you can see comments, but you cannot open minimized commentboxes. At least i havent found out how.

I do not see the highlights in my PDF. not even a faint grey behind the text.

I cannot see the comments that are added to changes.

I cannot highlight anything on the iLiad, nor can i add PDF comments, that others can see.

The scribbling is nice, and it will be helpful, when the desktop apllication to merge PDF and scribbles is available from iRex.

So basically i would answer: NO, the iLiad does not allow PDF highlighting.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:25 AM   #4
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
@Tribble

Tribble,

I used Scotty's viewer: gives a faint grey highlighting with dots.

iRex viewer gives a kind of grey dotted pattern.

(Observe well and close !)

Do you have an example of a PDF file like that, wich you would like to read etc. on your iLiad?

Last edited by henkvdg; 12-15-2006 at 06:33 AM.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:34 AM   #5
raevyn1
Connoisseur
raevyn1 doesn't litterraevyn1 doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony Reader, Treo 755p, Palm T|X
With iRex pdf viewer: Original yellow is too faint. Took a few photos to show the advantage of changing the highlight color to medium grayscale. Upper left is gray highlight. Lower left is green underline. Upper right is gray underline. Lower left portion is freehand underline using scribble.

Note highlights/underline adjusted on PC not iLiad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0258.JPG
Views:	715
Size:	704.8 KB
ID:	2446  

Last edited by raevyn1; 12-15-2006 at 07:50 AM.
raevyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
Hi,
The grey highlight looks good.
The middle-up underline is drawn by iLiad or PC?
The center handwriting-like underline should be drawn by iLiad, right?
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

OK, that makes me a bit pissed. Mine looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_temp.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	2449  
Old 12-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
raevyn1
Connoisseur
raevyn1 doesn't litterraevyn1 doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony Reader, Treo 755p, Palm T|X
@segatang Oops, guess I didn't make it clear that I adjusted the highlighting on PC prior to transfer to the Iliad. Still working on editing on-the-fly using scribble on the iLiad.
raevyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:59 AM   #9
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
you guys are great. :-)
by the way, any measurements of battery life with 2.8 installed?
thanks!
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Hmm, you can see comments, but you cannot open minimized commentboxes. At least i havent found out how.
Yes, this is stupid. I wanna use this, too. I use pdf comments in my LaTeX files all the time. We just can see the icon of the comment but nothing more. Is this feature on the wishlist?
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #11
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Is this feature on the wishlist?
Well, yes
- highlighting like textmarker (tribble)
- support official commenting feature on PDFs (tribble)
Old 12-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #12
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Well, yes
- highlighting like textmarker (tribble)
- support official commenting feature on PDFs (tribble)
Ok, I see.
Commenting was a feature of pdf 1.1 or at least 1.2 [pdf-reference.1.6.pdf is at home right now on another CF ;-)], so iRex's pdf viewer should support this.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:35 AM   #13
tribble
iLiad Maniac

well, i would like to add comments aswell. And not only scribbles.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #14
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by raevyn1
With iRex pdf viewer: Original yellow is too faint. Took a few photos to show the advantage of changing the highlight color to medium grayscale. Upper left is gray highlight. Lower left is green underline. Upper right is gray underline. Lower left portion is freehand underline using scribble.

Note highlights/underline adjusted on PC not iLiad
Poppler needs to understand the iLiad is grey scale and adapt a few things for it, like the highlighter colors...

Now that we have the official iLiad Poppler source we can begin addressing some of these issues.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #15
tribble
iLiad Maniac

is poppler supporting the commenting feature? That would be great. Even better, if editing would work aswell. Then i would definately need the keyboard case