Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
BobB
BobB began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch HD (MobiPocket)
Hello from Portsmouth, England

Actually I live in Clanfield, a village about 10 miles north of Portsmouth, but on the scale of the world wide web, I guess Portsmouth is close enough!

As a bit of a computer and gadget geek I've been reading eBooks for years, mainly SciFi (Baen Books) and in the last couple of years converting Gutenberg texts for Mobipocket Reader. Just found this site with lots of lovely books already converted!

I use my PDA/phone for reading, not really needing a dedicated reader ... something else to carry. Initially with a Palm Vx, then the Palm Tx, and now I use a HTC Touch HD. This is a delightful device; phone, PDA, emergency camera, mobile photo album, GPS, and an eBook reader using MobiPocket! All in one compact unit. And as I always carry my phone, I always have my books with me.

Even converted "the boss" (her indoors, t'other half, better half, wife) into reading eBooks as well, and she has my old Palm Tx with Mobipocket!

Anyhow, if I can find the time, I will hopefully find something useful to contribute, although from what I have seen so far you have everything I have done to date!!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hi Bob, Welcome to Mobileread. I'm sure you'll find things you'd like to add to our library.

I think you might be surprised at how nice it is reading at home on something bigger than a pocket-sized LCD. I read for several years on a Sony Clié, and I found my CyBook Gen 3 and now my Kindle to be much nicer.

Of course, the current eInk readers are a bit more fragile than I'd like - waiting for more robust screens isn't a bad strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
As a bit of a computer and gadget geek I've been reading eBooks for years, mainly SciFi (Baen Books) and in the last couple of years converting Gutenberg texts for Mobipocket Reader. Just found this site with lots of lovely books already converted!

[...]

Anyhow, if I can find the time, I will hopefully find something useful to contribute, although from what I have seen so far you have everything I have done to date!!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Bob and welcome to MobileRead. I used to read on a iPaq until I got my hands on an eInk device and I was immediately hooked. I still do occasionally read on my iPhone but mostly on my Sony 505
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Welcome, BobB from the UK!

I grew up in Portsmouth, Virginia, USA, sister city to Portsmouth, UK.

I guess that makes us practically family.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
(lol at sharpe's comment)

WELCOME to the site buddy.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote