Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
mapletony
mapletony began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Register product from Canada

Hi guys,

I got my ebook reader (Sony PRS 505). I'm very excited about it. Currently it's recharging and I won't use it until it's fully charged. I've a few questions.
  1. Can I register the product being in Canada? If so, to what url?
  2. How can I get the $50 free credit? I don't have a US credit card.
  3. How can I get the 100 books that are currently given to new PRS 505 owners? I know that technically it's only for Americans, but is there a way for me to get them nevertheless?

I'd really appreciate your help.

Tony
mapletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Download and install the software. Do not provide a credit card. When asked if you are in the US, lie and say yes.

The $50 credit is no longer available. The 100 free books isn't worth it; you can find them books here, at Blackmask and at feedbooks for free.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
mapletony
mapletony began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Nate, I registered through the Sony software. Now I followed the link "Directions for authorizing your Reader HERE" and it fails to log my in on the page The eBook Store. In the software I'm logged in. I don't really care too much about the 100 books (albeit they'd be nice) but I care about my reader being authorized to read such files.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
mapletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
nermalscoot
nermalscoot began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
you don't need to be "authorized" to read books on your reader or download books onto your reader.
nermalscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
kati42
kati42 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Don't worry if you can't get the $1.99 "free" books.

Keep in mind, as other posters mentioned, EVERYTHING in the Sony Classics list that counts for the credit (at least that I saw, and I went through a lot of it!) is *Public Domain*. In other words, these are books that can be freely distributed by anyone without penalty. What Sony has done is processed them to the format for the reader, and added a price. So they're giving you 100 free books that were free to begin with, but claiming that it's a $199 value.

Many of these books are also available here in the proper format, and from what I understand, formatted far BETTER than the ones from the Sony store. So if you can't get access to the credit, don't worry about it. Really. You can get the same content elsewhere for free without registering the reader.

In fact, you don't have to register the Reader at all as long as you use non-DRM content. Or you could buy LIT format with DRM, remove it using a tool that is mentioned frequently, then convert the non-DRM LIT to the Sony format using the excellent libprs software.

The libprs software, by the way, is FAR BETTER than the Sony software. I grabbed a couple things from the Sony store, but am probably not going to use their software any more at all, and just stick with libprs.
kati42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
marvi1
marvi1 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Fictionwise has begun to provide ebooks in the LRF format. I've gotten about 95% of my ebooks from Fictionwise over the years. No complaints, and it's certainly easier than trying to get books from Sony in Canada.
marvi1 is offline   Reply With Quote