Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
SenoraPrufrock
SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
eReading Survey

Hi,

I'm currently writing a dissertation for the MA in Publishing at University College London and would be really interested in hearing your responses to an eReading Survey?

http://abi.grafista.co.uk/ereading-survey

Many thanks for your time, and if you would like to make any further comments or discuss the survey, please get in touch, as I would really appreciate hearing your opinions.
SenoraPrufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Questions three and four make no sense.

"Do you prefer to write..."

EDIT: Ok never mind, I understand now... kinda.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-27-2012 at 06:26 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
SenoraPrufrock
SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SenoraPrufrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply.

Questions 3 and 4 are meant to question the language that is surrounding digital publishing.

I chose to phrase it "write" as when spoken all the terms sound the same, and was advised that "Do you prefer to use..." may not make sense.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have to say "Thank you" for including the question about pop-up footnotes. I can't imaging why there isn't a simple, standard way to have pop-up footnotes (with an option in the pop-up to go to a separate page if the footnote exceeds the pop-up size). It would be easier to implement and a lot more useful than all those other bells and whistles mentioned.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Well I filled it all in and then it refused to send because I did not give a name and email. Sorry, not prepared to do that.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
SenoraPrufrock

Thank you for your responses.

pdurrant - I agree! Theoretically it should be a very simple thing to implement. So thank you for your opinion on that question. Would it be ok with you to quote you on this?

Stormchild - I have just double checked and the personal information option has been disabled (as I myself would not be prepared to disclose that online and it is not needed for my research). I think the page you got to requesting your name, email etc was for if you wished to leave a reply? Did you reach the video link?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenoraPrufrock View Post
I think the page you got to requesting your name, email etc was for if you wished to leave a reply?
That is how I interpretted it; SUBMIT worked fine without it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That is how I interpretted it; SUBMIT worked fine without it.
Same here.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Popup footnotes would be awesome, the other features I don't care about at all. I did the survey... noticed the perhaps intentional absence of Nook products!!
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Popup footnotes would be awesome, the other features I don't care about at all. I did the survey... noticed the perhaps intentional absence of Nook products!!
Nooks are US only. The survey originates from England.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
SenoraPrufrock

As I am from the UK I haven't experienced Nook products (...yet) but did include the [Other] option for eReading devices available outside of the UK.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenoraPrufrock View Post
pdurrant - I agree! Theoretically it should be a very simple thing to implement. So thank you for your opinion on that question. Would it be ok with you to quote you on this?
Feel free.

One of the problems I have with ePub is that it doesn't prescribe enough. It would be good if it specified reserved ids for elements that were for certain uses. And one of those would be a pop-up footnote (that could, of course, just be displayed in-line for very simple reading engines).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Popup footnotes would be awesome,
Yep, they would. And it's been done before; the original Cybook Gen3 did them back in 2007. That the thing went boom when they ended up being bigger than the screen, well... I'm not sure they ever fixed that.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Yes, sorted. The problem was that I didn't answer the question about e-book enhancements as I don't want any but have to give an answer. The trouble is it goes back to the form, removes all previous answers and highlights the name and e-mail boxes as though they are the problem.
Anyway, all done.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I took the survey.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote