Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
jpjoeph
jpjoeph began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
hello ... did i buy the wrong reader?

Hi there,
I just received my shiny new Kindle 2. I love/hate it already. My goal is to not spend $10 every time I want to read a book. I have found some nice free classics from Amazon. BUT what I really want to do is access ebooks from my library. My library offers ebooks in Adobe PDF, EPUB, and Mobipocket formats. I was under the impression before I bought the kindle that these formats could be converted to be usable on the kindle, but now that I've spent several hours trying to figure out how, I realize that either 1) it really isn't possible and I'm doomed to spend lots of money I don't really have on content from Amazon (or cultivate a love of free classics) or 2) I'm just not smart or tech-savvy enough to understand how to accomplish the conversions.

If it's #1, I'd appreciate just knowing that for sure (and getting a recommendation for the best reader that will allow me to use my library). If it's #2, could someone point me to a comprehensive step-by-step guide for people who don't really know what they're doing?

Thanks!
Jenn
jpjoeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
WELCOME TO MR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not own a kindle 2 but to be honest with ya I think that they are all pretty good. I did a bit of research before I purchased mine and they all have their good points and bad points. I think the best place to start looking for more info on the kindle 2 would be here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140

after you check there go to the main display area here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/

and check out some of the free ebooks and other forums regarding maintaining a library and format conversion.

once again welcome to the site.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Welcome!
You should be able to read the mobipocket format on your kindle.
Epub books are much more common in libraries though. If you want to borrow epub books, any epub supporting reader (like the sony, but many others, most actually) will do.
To convert you would have to remove the drm. While I always liberate my purchased books, I would never do this for a library book, it just doesn't seem right
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!

I can't help with Kindle queries, but the Sony readers will reader PDF and epub if you do decide to get another reader to make use of your local library
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Welcome to MobileRead!
You haven't buyed the wrong e-reader, it's a very nice one
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Jenn,

You should have no problem at all reading books in Mobi format. You can download them from this forum, or from sites such as Feedbooks, and transfer them directly on the Kindle via a USB cable. No conversion of any kind is necessary.

If that doesn't work for you, let us know what is going wrong. I'm sure the folk here will put you on the right road.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote