Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Sleep Disable/Enable KUAL+ extensions

I'v made a couple of KUAL+ extensions to disable and re-enable sleep. Possible use cases include keeping a page open as reference for an extended time, preventing sleep while indexing a large number of newly loaded books, and preventing sleep while usbnetworking. Remember to re-enable sleep when finished with any of the above to maximize energy saving.

Sleep disable performs the same action as doing a search on ~ds, but in a more convenient way. Sleep Enable re-enables sleep, which would otherwise require a restart of the Kindle.

These work great on my KV 5.8.11 and KOA2 5.9.2 and is reported to work on PW3 5.8.9.11 and 5.9.6.1, KT5 5.3.7.3, and PW5 5.14.1.1. Please reply here with results for other models.

Note that starting with firmware 5.14.2 the ~ds search string no longer disables sleep on stock firmware, so jaibreak is required to disable sleep at all.
Attached Files
File Type: gz basic-KUAL-sleepDisable.tar.gz (453 Bytes, 573 views)
File Type: gz basic-KUAL-sleepEnable.tar.gz (546 Bytes, 563 views)

Last edited by j.p.s; 06-13-2022 at 08:14 PM. Reason: update confirmed working models and note ~ds search string removal
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Works fine on my PW3 5.8.9.11
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Works fine on my PW3 5.8.9.11
Thank you for the reportt.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
djsmiley2k
djsmiley2k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle D009 3G Europe.
The sleep disable seems to be missing the script?
djsmiley2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmiley2k View Post
The sleep disable seems to be missing the script?
All kindles come with the script built in, it is in /usr/bin/ds.sh and is the basis for
the enable script, es.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh

lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 0
The ds.sh you are looking for is:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 1
The disable capability isn't really necessary for KUAL, but I think bringing KUAL up and tapping a button enough more convenient than typing ~ds into a search bar.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:29 AM   #6
marc1uk
marc1uk doesn't littermarc1uk doesn't litter

Device: kindle touch
Thanks for this j.p.s! Works great on my kindle touch (KT5) with firmware 5.3.7.3
marc1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:08 PM   #7
0ripkindle
Enthusiast
0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 (2012), Kindle Touch 4, Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021)
Will this work on FW 5.14.1.1, PW5?
0ripkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:15 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ripkindle View Post
Will this work on FW 5.14.1.1, PW5?
It should. It is very simple and just makes a call to a built in function whose call has never changed.

Give it a try and please report back. All reported successes are in post #1. There have been no reports of failure.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:14 PM   #9
0ripkindle
Enthusiast
0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 (2012), Kindle Touch 4, Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It should. It is very simple and just makes a call to a built in function whose call has never changed.

Give it a try and please report back. All reported successes are in post #1. There have been no reports of failure.
It works
0ripkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:00 AM   #10
bonzi
Enthusiast
bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2i, K3/KK WiFi, Basic (old), 2xFire, 2xPW (old), Voyage, Scribe
Thanks! I will be looking into this. I downloaded - still downloading - 5000+ titles and about that many documents on my Scribe, and indexing takes ages. I would leave it awake and plugged in overnight to finish this.

Umm, any pointers on KUAL as such, please?

bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:53 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzi View Post
Thanks! I will be looking into this. I downloaded - still downloading - 5000+ titles and about that many documents on my Scribe, and indexing takes ages. I would leave it awake and plugged in overnight to finish this.

Umm, any pointers on KUAL as such, please?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=203326

But KUAL requires jailbreak and there is no jailbreak for the Scribe yet. But the following was recently discovered:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...36&postcount=6
Old 05-07-2023, 03:47 PM   #12
jollyblondgiant
jollyblondgiant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch K5
I was able to get this to work, and have it set up so that whenever I open Kterm (in my case, in order to ssh into my raspi and use the kindle as its screen) it executes that ds.sh script. specifically in /mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/kterm.sh before the line
Quote:
${EXTENSION}/bin/kterm ${PARAM} -e "/mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/kterm -k 1" "$@"
It works like a charm, I never have to worry about the screen blanking as long as I'm working. I still have to run the command
Quote:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 0
from the KUAL menu, because I haven't found a way to get the script to execute when I'm done with kterm. Most of the time I'd use .bash_logout or something but I haven't gotten that to work. Is there some way to implement a cleanup script in kterm? or execute a script when that above line from bin/kterm.sh to fire es.sh?
jollyblondgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:33 AM   #13
bonzi
Enthusiast
bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thumbs up

Hm... I am not sure I would be comfortable with jailbreaking my new toy...

This other solution sounds great. Certainly beats tapping the screen every now and then to let the indexing proceed (Although, when last night I actually did it, Scribe indexed some 400 titles backlog in an evening.)

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2023, 01:37 AM   #14
bonzi
Enthusiast

This is cool, but not exactly what I am after - keeping my shiny new Scribe awake long enough to index the huge backlog of titles. I ended up just having it on my desk and tapping the screen every now and then while working - indexing goes surprisingly fast.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:17 AM   #15
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzi View Post
This is cool, but not exactly what I am after - keeping my shiny new Scribe awake long enough to index the huge backlog of titles. I ended up just having it on my desk and tapping the screen every now and then while working - indexing goes surprisingly fast.
My PW3 indexes while asleep, with power connected.
Average 2-3 books per minute.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disable sleep, extensions, kual extension, sleep disable, sleep enable