Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
PDF readers on Android - why the big fuss about Moon+ Pro?

Seems a lot of people here like Moon+ Pro for PDF. I bought it and don't like it as much as QuickOffice.

Moon+ Pro forces me to read in portrait mode, won't let me jump to a particular page, and is slower to resize pages.

So how come so many seem to love this app?
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I guess I didn't know it was popular for PDF. I know it's popular for ePub, but for PDF generally ezPDF and RepliGo are considered the readers to check out.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'll have to reiterate what AnemicOak said Moon is usually touted for it's ePUB support. PDF support was added to the Pro version long after it made a name for itself as an ePUB reader.

As for PDF readers there are any only three in would recommend ezPDF, RepliGo, and Adobe. The former two however are still best.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Personally, I like Mantano for it's autocrop feature. Other readers would do well to emulate that.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
forumshrew
forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Seems a lot of people here like Moon+ Pro for PDF. I bought it and don't like it as much as QuickOffice.

Moon+ Pro forces me to read in portrait mode, won't let me jump to a particular page, and is slower to resize pages.

So how come so many seem to love this app?
I love it because I can highlight any text in throught the whole document and either export all highlights or go back later through the file and read the highlights (good for studying tech manuals).

A little trick I do with pdf's. If I want to create a pdf file (and want it large for easy viewing on tablet) from a say Microsoft Word doc, I will save the file at size 24 font and then using a print to pdf program (bullzip pdf printer) will make the pdf. (create pdf's from web pages also by printing to pdf). (I know could have it as epub and just increase the font, but sometimes I want a document that will fly and the pdf allows that).

If I have a downloaded pdf from somewhere and want to make it bigger I will open the pdf (in any pdf reader) then hit print to pdf. will do custom scaling till it barely fits within the print page screen (you will see this option in the bullzip print options that comes up before you actually print). This gives me a 10% or more bigger pdf. Much nicer for reading on tablet (asus transformer tf101).

Last but not least. For just straight reading of a pdf I have found nothing better than EBookDroid - PDF & DJVU Reader. Blazing fast rendering, just sweet. I have purchased ez pdf reader but I just keep it around checking its updates to see if it ever comes up to snuff for my taste.

PS, no trouble here with reading in landscape mode with Moon Reader. I never read anything in portrait mode. You learn alot by trail and error. Open a program play with the settings and see what it does. you can't hurt it. Hope this is a little clearer than mud. Just like to be helpful if I can.
forumshrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
I have the standard recommended PDF reader apps....ezPDF Pro and the paid RepliGo apps. Seems every time I need more complex interaction and markup they let me down, naw better written they and I don't seem to think the same way. I've used both for over a year now. Of the two I tended to use exPDF the most.

Recently while browsing Adobe.com I decided to download the newest version of Adobe Reader. To be honest it is very nice now. Markup tools are solid and adding text (forms or text boxes) has been nice.

I have yet to use AR for more than small documents so this is not a recommendation for more complex uses. Still I know it is far improved from then I last checked it out around 16-18 months back. So I would suggest giving it a fast test drive...it's free after all.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote