Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
lindaw2396
lindaw2396 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, Android smartphone, Kindle
Sigil re-sorts files listed in book view with 0.6.0!

Hi, I just joined the MobileRead Forum because I create books for various eReaders. I'm using Sigil and love it! But it seems to mess with content sometimes. Like today, it resorted the list of files in the Book Browser column after opening the file to make a simple change. Converted the new epub using Kindle Previewer and it failed after having passed previously! I'm looking into this to see if there's something I'm missing. Has anyone else had this or a similar experience using Sigil?

~Linda

Edit: I can't make this happen again. But what did happen was the coding in the content.opf changed. I'm sure <guide> was at the bottom of the file with the cover and TOC listed. I had to put it back because Kindle Previewer was not seeing the TOC! Frustrating! Has anyone found a better ePub editor?

Last edited by lindaw2396; 11-17-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Now I can't make this behavior happen again!
lindaw2396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If Sigil appears to re-order your files in book view, it's almost always because something is "wrong enough" with your OPF file that Sigil had to attempt to rebuild it from scratch. There will be a message in the OPF file when this happens.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
This happened to me once and it turned out to be that Sigil had added linear="no" on the lines that were getting out of order. Open your content.opf file and check if you have any text like that.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think Sigil adds (or removes, or does anything for that matter) with the "linear" attribute.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It's very possible the book started out that way and in trying to correct my problem )the cover kept displaying as the last page no matter what I did), is when I finally noticed the linear comment set to no. Once I removed it though, I got the cover to display as it should on the first page.

Edit: I redownloaded the book from Gutenberg, and it did indeed come that way with the linear=no comment. I originally thought it couldn't possibly since it seemed to display in the correct order within Sigil, but at the time I didn't realize that linear comment would override the order.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-16-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
lindaw2396
lindaw2396 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, Android smartphone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If Sigil appears to re-order your files in book view, it's almost always because something is "wrong enough" with your OPF file that Sigil had to attempt to rebuild it from scratch. There will be a message in the OPF file when this happens.
Aha! Yes, there was this message at the top of the OPF file:

<!-- Your OPF file was broken so Sigil was forced to create a new one from scratch. -->

and the "guide" information at the bottom was gone. Now to try and figure out how that happened!
lindaw2396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaw2396 View Post
Aha! Yes, there was this message at the top of the OPF file:

<!-- Your OPF file was broken so Sigil was forced to create a new one from scratch. -->

and the "guide" information at the bottom was gone. Now to try and figure out how that happened!
If you have a organized file naming: EG all chapters sections (start and) end in Ch##: (IMHO always pad leading 0's for the number of places so as to match the last sections number of digits)

select those.
Click sort.
then drag each of the rest into their proper order
Save
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaw2396 View Post
Now to try and figure out how that happened!
I know if you futz with the identifier manually in the OPF and delete it or get the syntax/scheme wrong it'll happen almost every time.