Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
socal9
socal9 began at the beginning.

Device: waiting for kindle
Do you finish all the books that you start?

I was just wondering how many of you finish all the books that you start reading. When I was younger, I would start reading many books but would leave quite a lot unfinished because either I had some other things to do or I would get bored with the book. Now however I tend to try to finish whatever book I started reading. When the book doesn't seem to interest me greatly, I keep reading in hopes that I may find something of value to me later in the book. (I must add here that I try to read books that have gotten generally good reviews).

Recently however I stopped reading a book about 15% through because the writing seemed like it was for teenagers and I couldn't believe some of the situations that turned up in the book.

Was wondering how all of you handled your reading. Do you finish what you started or if not, how much of a chance do you give it? 10%, 25% of the book?
socal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
The only book I ever started and then quit was Cryptonomicon. Neil Stephenson I think. Its not that it was bad, I just could not get any interest traction on it. I may try it again some day; some folks I deeply respect have suggested it.
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I used to; I would feel guilty if I spent money and then did not finish, like I was not getting my money's worth on the book. Then someone on this forum said I should think about how my money was already wasted, did I want to waste my *time* too? And now I do not feel guilty about abandoning a book if it is not working for me That happens less often now as I am much more careful about what I buy, of course
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Actually, I finish few books that I borrow from the library. It's one reason I dont purchase books. There's a 75% chance I wont like it and give up.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #5
BSquaredInOz
BSquaredInOz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
No, life's too short to read something you're not enjoying (unless you have to for study or some other purpose like that). These days I am pretty good at selecting things I'm fairly sure I'll like but if I get it wrong I give up and move on to something else. If I'm unsure about a book or author I'll borrow from the library rather than spend money on it "just in case".

Cheers, Bernadette
BSquaredInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal9 View Post
I was just wondering how many of you finish all the books that you start reading.
Do not wonder anymore, you have all the answers here.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #7
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I don't finish all but it's rare that I can't make it through a book.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Jellby has kindly provided a link to the previous discussion on the subject:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93397

Can we please continue the discussion there? There's no point in having duplicate threads.

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Nope.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm an avid library borrower and purchase very few books; so, I've had it happen that I've gotten out a few books here and there that I've known from the first page I wouldn't be able to get into, wishing I'd taken the trouble to look through the book more closely.

It's pained me the couple of times I've bailed on an audiobook after spending an Audible credit ($11) for it.

To answer your question, as a rough guess I'd say I bail on perhaps 10% of the books I start, perhaps slightly more.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSquaredInOz View Post
No, life's too short to read something you're not enjoying (unless you have to for study or some other purpose like that). These days I am pretty good at selecting things I'm fairly sure I'll like but if I get it wrong I give up and move on to something else. If I'm unsure about a book or author I'll borrow from the library rather than spend money on it "just in case".

Cheers, Bernadette
Bernadette;

A sad fact of my life is that as an engineer, I have to spend a disproportionate amount of my time reading/studying tech manuals to keep my skills current. This invariably involves a lot of starting and stopping in different sections of the same book and/or cross-referencing stuff in different books. The long and short of it is that I have less time than I would like for just pleasure reading so when I do get a chance, I do everything I can to finish a novel, even it is just mediocre. However even with the free time I have, the constant tech reading I have to do has noticeably take a lot of the joy of reading from me that I used to have since I was very young. One of the reasons I look forward to retirement (if and when it comes) is so I can get off the tech-study merry-go-round and just read for the fun of it.
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Nope. If I don't like something I'll read something else. I don't have the time to read books I don't enjoy.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've started a few books that I did not finish, but that doesn't usually happen. Usually I can tell within the first few paragraphs whether or not I'm going to like a book.
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I tried reading "Cat's Cradle" once. Couldn't make heads or tails of it and gave up. I try to finish what I start reading, even if it is some time after I started. At least with ebooks the bookmarks can't get lost. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
I'm guilty of this every once in a while, most recently with "Player Piano" by Kurt Vonnegut. It may be the only book of his I try reading.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote