Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Introducing Panasonic's "Word Gear" e-book reader

My my, we'll soon have e-book readers busting out all over the place. Engadget is reporting that Panasonic are just about to launch a new device in Japan, dubbed the Word Gear. Specs:
  • 1024x600 resolution
  • SD Card Slot
  • 105 × 18.5~28.4 × 152-mm / 325-gram
  • 6 Hour battery life
  • ¥40,000 or about $340

Alas, looks like a Japan-only launch.

Full details available here.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
My my we'll soon have ebook readers busting out all over the place. Engadget is reporting the Panasonic are just about to launch a new device in Japan. Dubbed 'The Word Gear'

* 1024x600 resolution
* SD Card Slot
* 105 × 18.5~28.4 × 152-mm / 325-gram
* 6 Hour battery life
* ¥40,000 or about $340

Looks like a Japan only launch.

Full details available here

The URL doesn't seem to work.
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
I have a Panasonic (and Toshiba) Sigma book. Problem, it is really a full japanese machine, so I have never been able to create content for it, even I do not know if it is possible or if one must buy DRM rights for the SD cards.

A noticeable point is that they seem to have a OS of its own, running on a panasonic cpu.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsmasha
The URL doesn't seem to work.
Fixed. Thanks!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
So, to sum-up: no e-ink.

Useless to me. Next!
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Sorry about the link folks (slapped wrists for Stu)
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2
So, to sum-up: no e-ink.

Useless to me. Next!
Hmm but for instance the display of the sigma book, even if no high contrast, also had the property of keeping the content when power was switched off.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
Sorry about the link folks (slapped wrists for Stu)
It's no big deal
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Hmm but for instance the display of the sigma book, even if no high contrast, also had the property of keeping the content when power was switched off.
For me it's not so much battery (although 7500 page turns is a very nice figure) as easy-reading. I don't wany LCD for my reading, thanks.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:42 AM   #10
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Official Words Gear website: http://saidoku.com/
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:19 AM   #11
Tomoe
Tomoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
I have a Panasonic (and Toshiba) Sigma book. Problem, it is really a full japanese machine, so I have never been able to create content for it, even I do not know if it is possible or if one must buy DRM rights for the SD cards.

A noticeable point is that they seem to have a OS of its own, running on a panasonic cpu.
arivero,

There is a way to transfer txt files (as txt) and other documents (which have to be converted to .bmp format first tho) onto the sigma book. Contact me on private message and I will write a small how-to for you if you wish.
BTW, if it's not a hassle, could you comment on the overall sigmabook experience? How do you like it, especially the screen?

Tom
Tomoe is offline   Reply With Quote