Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #106
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

(2) A biography of "Dr. Goat Gland," John Brinkley
(what is the title of this book and who wrote it, I can't find it.)

BOb
Charlatan: America's Most Dangerous Huckster, the Man Who Pursued Him, and the Age of Flimflam by Pope Brock
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
A Brief History of Time is available from Waterstones, I'm not sure about geo-restrictions though so I'd say A Brief History of Time (if you can get it) OR A Briefer History of Time would work.
Seems A Brief History of Time Should be out of the running since it seems to not be available in the US.

Gotta love geographic restrictions and clueless publishers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #108
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Seems A Brief History of Time Should be out of the running since it seems to not be available in the US.

Well, as I said, A Briefer History of Time is available in the U.S., and it's pretty much the same book, only updated and slightly longer (go figure--it must have something to do with relativity).

There are 224 pages in the hardcover edition of A Brief History of Time.

There are 256 pages in the hardcover edition of A Briefer History of Time.

Both are excellent. The Kindle edition of A Briefer History of Time is here.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-28-2010 at 06:18 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #109
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I'll add a vote for Devil in the White City and The World Without Us
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Well, as I said, A Briefer History of Time is available in the U.S., and it's pretty much the same book, only updated and slightly longer (go figure--it must have something to do with relativity).

There are 224 pages in the hardcover edition of A Brief History of Time.

There are 256 pages in the hardcover edition of A Briefer History of Time.

Both are excellent. The Kindle edition of A Briefer History of Time is here.
That I did not know. Too bad the library doesn't have it. Maybe I'll request it and hope they get it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #111
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Quite a few of the books are not available in Australia... but A Brief History of Time is.. A Briefer History of Time is not.

Last edited by lene1949; 02-28-2010 at 08:17 PM.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #112
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I'll add a vote for Devil in the White City and The World Without Us
Both unavailable in Australia
Old 02-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #113
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Quite a few of the books are not available in Australia... but A Brief History of Time is.. A Briefer History of Time is not.
Odd ... that's the exact opposite of our situation here in the U.S.!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #114
lene1949
Wizard

My three votes are:
  1. Stiff
  2. The Omnivore's Dilemma
  3. The Origin of Species
Old 02-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #115
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Odd ... that's the exact opposite of our situation here in the U.S.!
It's awfully frustrating... No wonder people turning pirates...
Old 02-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #116
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
My three votes are:
  1. Stiff
  2. The Omnivore's Dilemma
  3. The Origin of Species
And so Darwin's masterwork goes into the voting. (Stiff and The Omnivore's Dilemma were already there). You guys are killing me!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #117
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
And so Darwin's masterwork goes into the voting. (Stiff and The Omnivore's Dilemma were already there). You guys are killing me!
I would have loved to put down Quirkology, but it's not available for Australians... Sounds really interesting...

All the others I found interesting were also not available for me.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #118
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I would have loved to put down Quirkology, but it's not available for Australians... Sounds really interesting...

All the others I found interesting were also not available for me.
MAJOR BUMMER!!! (Formerly known as General Bummer, but he got demoted.)

All these differences in geographic distribution are getting tiresome. Come on, publishers! Get your international act together!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-28-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #119
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I just bought "Stiff." Maybe it'll win and I'll get lucky. I wanted to read it anyway
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #120
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I just bought "Stiff." Maybe it'll win and I'll get lucky. I wanted to read it anyway
Me, too...