Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Sony Reader Android app supports ePub3

My Sony Reader app updated today and purports to support ePub3. Where are the ePub 3 books in the Sony store.

Does this portend new Sonys?
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Interesting. I had a previous version, but it didn't update. I have uninstalled the old version (which I never apparently registered and didn't seem to work correctly with the sample content when I tried it out just now).

Also I thought the previous version (or maybe it was just the iOS version?) was a version of Bluefire. That doesn't seem to be true of this thing.

I'm trying some ePub3 sample files, will see how that goes. Ah. There is a 'Reader Extension' app that you need to install as well. Now we're getting further.

* The japanese (vertical writing) sample does not display any script but the embedded 'read along' audio plays, and the pages turn 'backwards' as they should.
* the linear algebra sample (MathML) opens but so far I'm not sure I'm seeing any MathML.
* one of the fixed-layout samples ('cole-voyage-of-life-tol-20120405.epub') seems to work also

Lots of crashing though.

Well, this is fun! But I have to run for now.

At this point I have to think Sony sells more Android tablets than PRS-T2s. This app appears to be exactly the same as the one they ship on Xperia (based on the app icon).

Last edited by tomsem; 02-22-2013 at 08:54 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Isn't this the wrong time of the year for them to release an e-reader? Usually they release later, I think. I wonder if Sony is going to continue in the e-reader market, now that it is slowing.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think Kobo has supported ePUB3 in mobile apps for awhile now. The 2.4 update for the glo, mini, and touch was (at least in part) to bring those devices up to ePUB3 for adobe and drm free epubs. The Kobo epubs (kepubs) were epub3 friendly already.

Publishers would have to do some metadata changes to see some of the differences in their already released books, for example, series information. I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen. I just hope the publishers add the epubs3 information into the new books, now that they can do that.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote