Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
H2O and wasted space question

Love the large screen of the Kobo H2o. I don't have one yet but have been watching videos and reading this forum for more info. But my question is..
does the wasted space at the top and bottom still exist, or is there a way to get rid of it. Has the newer firmware eliminated it? I read about a patch, but is this still needed? Please advise..I am seriously contemplating a H2o.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The current firmware has an option for a full-screen reading mode which has no header (title) or footer (progress indicator). So the amount of unusable space depends on which format of book you choose (kepub or epub) and which reading mode you choose (full-screen or normal):
  • EPUB in full-screen reading mode: no unusable space at all, every single pixel of the screen is avaliable for book content.
  • KEPUB in full-screen reading mode: a small (2%) minimum margin on all four sides.
  • EPUB in normal reading mode: a tiny (1%) minimum top margin and a very large (8%) footer.
  • KEPUB in normal reading mode: a very large (8%) header and very large (8%) footer, and small (2%) minimum left/right margins.

There are patches which can remove the minimum margins in kepubs, and reduce or remove the normal-mode footer in epubs and kepubs, but there is no way to remove the kepub normal-mode header.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-30-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added margin sizes as percentage of screen width/height
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The current firmware has an option for a full-screen reading mode which has no header (title) or footer (progress indicator). So the amount of unusable space depends on which format of book you choose (kepub or epub) and which reading mode you choose (full-screen or normal).
Where is this setting for full-screen in the current firmware?
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Where is this setting for full-screen in the current firmware?
To enable the option initially you need to edit the configuration file .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf (using a unix-aware editor such as Notepad++ if doing it from Windows) and add the feature setting:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
FullScreenReading=true
Thereafter you can switch between normal and full-screen mode with the "Show header and footer" option on the reading settings menu:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reading-settings.png
Views:	574
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	137760  
Old 04-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
There's also the showpageheader=false line that can be added under the [Reading] section of the Kobo eReader.conf file.

It removes the part of the header (but not the footer) and provides one extra line on my Aura H2O, provided the [FeatureSettings] FullScreenReading=true is also inserted into the .conf file and the setting enabled on the device.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
To enable the option initially you need to edit the configuration file .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf (using a unix-aware editor such as Notepad++ if doing it from Windows) and add the feature setting:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
FullScreenReading=true
Thereafter you can switch between normal and full-screen mode with the "Show header and footer" option on the reading settings menu:
Thanks for that info Geoff.

How do I see the page number if I use the Full Screen setting. Where else would I find it?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
How do I see the page number if I use the Full Screen setting. Where else would I find it?
The page number is on the navigation bar. Tap wherever to bring up the top and bottom bars and then tap the navigation icon.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
You can see the page number by opening the Navigation <--> menu. With the latest firmware (3.15.0) the menu is sticky, so if you don't close it before returning to the book then it is just one tap to see the page number while reading (and another tap to return to reading the book).
Old 04-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Thank you Davidfor and GeoffR, works as you both describe!!

Edit
One other question, will I need to update the file each time I update the version?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #10
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GeoffR
Where do I find the configuration file .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf ? Looks like I may need some hand holding here. Right now I still have my regular Glo and am looking at for these files....or are they only on the H2o?
Trying to get a jump on what to do before I have the H2o in my hands.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
my problem is why those ereaders' bezel is so big, H2o might be ok since it is 6'8. but Kindle really should make their ereader's bezel smaller
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
One other question, will I need to update the file each time I update the version?
No, the option remains after you upgrade firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
Where do I find the configuration file .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf ?
It is on the device's user filesystem. On my Linux system it shows as /media/KOBOeReader/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf, on Windows I'm not sure, I guess something like F:\.kobo\Kobo\Kobo eReader.conf.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #13
Kaysclie
Addict

Never Mind
I found an article from the eBook Reader.com that explains how to do this!
It works! Thanks for your replies and help. Most likely I will be back when I run into any problems. Thank goodness for this site and people willing to share their knowledge!!
Thanks GeoffR for your extra reply to my question.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:02 AM   #14
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
To see kobo reader's cofig file must have Windows set to show hidden files.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:00 AM   #15
Patricius
Enthusiast
Patricius has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Just to clarify: it's not 'showpageheader=false' but 'showPageHeader=false'.
Patricius is offline   Reply With Quote