Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
50GB Free Storage for iOS Devices from Box.net

http://blog.box.net/2011/10/12/were-...orage-box50gb/

Quote:
As evidenced by the overwhelming crowds during past iPhone and iPad launches, it’s clear that our lives revolve around mobile. That’s why we’re happy to announce that we’re giving away 50 GB of free storage to anyone who uses a Box Personal account on an iOS device.
I may actually have signed up for them a while back-can't remember
Not sure if they will replace Dropbox for me, but 50GB is pretty nice.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Great. I might take them up on it, rather than going iCloud. Does anyone know of the differences in service between them and Dropbox?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
What about file size limits?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
100 meg file limit, seems no one is getting the 50 gigs yet if you read the blog comments
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
100 meg file limit, seems no one is getting the 50 gigs yet if you read the blog comments
That's what I thought. It's fine for documents, books, photos and music; but worthless for audiobooks and videos.

I have the same offer for my $99 TouchPad. Since audiobooks and videos would be my primary use, it'll probably go unused.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Yes, I got the 50 GB offer with my Touchpad too. Looks like they're doing the rounds!

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
Their site seems to be struggling at the moment. It seems lots of people are interested in 50 GB of free cloud storage.

I already have a Box.net account, and it works fine for storing and sharing a few things, but it's just not as easily useable as Dropbox.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
So I did get this because I'd like a backup for digital pictures and music, however it occurs to me that if they go out of business, my files could disappear without warning, so really it's just a backup and a sketchy one too. My husband is an IT professional and has some other backup thing going for me, but everything is still on site, so an off site cloud thing isn't useless anyway.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I went ahead and registered. Though I'm not sure I'll actually use the service. What I love about dropbox is that it is integrated into many of my apps.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Maybe I'm slow, but I can't figure out how to open an epub from Box.net's mobile app on Stanza, Bluefire, etc. There is no option for "Open in Bluefire" type of thing that Dropbox and Sugarsync have. Maybe I'm just missing it, but even after the update a couple days ago I still see no way to access my epub files on Box.net's storage. Which totally defeats the purpose for me.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Maybe I'm slow, but I can't figure out how to open an epub from Box.net's mobile app on Stanza, Bluefire, etc. There is no option for "Open in Bluefire" type of thing that Dropbox and Sugarsync have. Maybe I'm just missing it, but even after the update a couple days ago I still see no way to access my epub files on Box.net's storage. Which totally defeats the purpose for me.
I can't even get one to open in iBooks. Looks like maybe Box.net doesn't support "Open In..." ? Seems like a pretty serious limitation, if access is limited to built-in formats (or their app "partners" listed on your Box.net account on your computer).
Old 10-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Good Reader should be able to access the files:
http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-tr-servers.html#webdav

You can download them to Good Reader and then "open in" from there.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Good Reader should be able to access the files:
http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-tr-servers.html#webdav

You can download them to Good Reader and then "open in" from there.

Interestingly, Good Reader is actually listed on Box.net's site as a "partner"-so now I'm wondering if Box.net is limiting access to their approved partners only (as opposed to Dropbox, which will open with any app with the right filetype registered)
Old 10-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Interestingly, Good Reader is actually listed on Box.net's site as a "partner"-so now I'm wondering if Box.net is limiting access to their approved partners only (as opposed to Dropbox, which will open with any app with the right filetype registered)
It's completely silly. 50GB of free storage that I can't access on the go. I guess I can in Goodreader, but I don't like the limitation.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:05 AM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
If you go to the box.net site in safari (not any other browser) on your iOS5 device, and download a book, it will give you the option to "open in". It really is a good spot to store your stuff and get it into your current reader of choice, until/unless our favourite app gets updated. Or even if it does. Still useful. and 50G is way more than most of us need for book storage.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote