Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Error communicating with device

Sony PRS-650
Calibre 0.7.56

I have used Calibre previously, numerous times, without difficulty.
Now I keep getting the following error, each time I connect the USB cable:

[Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/READER/database/cache/media.xml'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 64, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 317, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 183, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 218, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 209, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/prs505/sony_cache.py", line 724, in write
IOError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/READER/database/cache/media.xml'

Any ideas?

Addendum
Ah, I remember now ... something like this happened ages ago, soon after I got the reader. I eventually solved the problem by reformatting the Internal Memory. Perhaps in future it would be better to store books on Memory Stick or SD Card. Meanwhile, apart from not communicating via USB, the reader works fine.

Last edited by boxcorner; 04-18-2011 at 04:15 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Sony PRS-650
Calibre 0.7.56
Only thing missing is OS.

Quote:
[Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/READER/database/cache/media.xml'
A OS level IO error, not a calibre created error.

Quote:
Ah, I remember now ... something like this happened ages ago, soon after I got the reader. I eventually solved the problem by reformatting the Internal Memory.
Sounds like the correct course of action or run a file system disk check / fix.

Quote:
Perhaps in future it would be better to store books on Memory Stick or SD Card.
This won't help you any with this error. Your best bet is to ensure you eject the reader before disconnecting it each time and keeping your fingers crossed to keep away the IO error demons.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to appropriate forum.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apologies for posting this in the wrong section!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Only thing missing is OS.
Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Quote:
A OS level IO error, not a calibre created error.
Right.

Quote:
Sounds like the correct course of action or run a file system disk check / fix.
I'm pretty sure I tried the latter the last time it happened, without success; backing up and re-formatting the internal memory solved the problem last time, so will probably do that this time. It's a nuisance, but worse things happen at sea.

Quote:
This won't help you any with this error. Your best bet is to ensure you eject the reader before disconnecting it each time and keeping your fingers crossed to keep away the IO error demons.
Okay, sounds logical enough; perhaps that's why it happened.

Quote:
Good Luck.
Cheers.

Last edited by boxcorner; 04-18-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...-connect-to-it

This sounds like the fix for your problem
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Yeah, I had that one too. First reaction was to pester about calibre. Second was to have a look with nautilus, and see the that the SD card was indeed mounted as read only.
Formated the sd, cleaned up a bit, and everything got back to normal.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...-connect-to-it

This sounds like the fix for your problem
Thanks for the link!

mount via Terminal and Ubuntu's Disk Utility both show that the node is /dev/sde
sudo fsck.vfat -y /dev/sde appeared to run ok
calibre jobs list Get the device information status = Finished
however calibre jobs list Get list of books on device status = Error
ie the original Error communicating with device
so, sudo fsck.vfat -y /dev/sde didn't fix it, in this instance ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yeah, I had that one too. First reaction was to pester about calibre. Second was to have a look with nautilus, and see the that the SD card was indeed mounted as read only.
Formated the sd, cleaned up a bit, and everything got back to normal.
Fine, except in my case I'm not using a SD card, rather everything's stored in internal memory. Nevertheless, formatting it solved the problem originally, so it would appear to be the best way forward.

Addendum
Problem now fixed, without formatting the reader's internal memory:

Connected reader to PC via USB
Ubuntu > System > Administration > Disk Utility
Selected Sony PRS-650 from the list of Peripheral Devices
(ie Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-650 MS, Sony PRS-650 SD and Sony PRS-650 Launcher)
Unmounted the volume (which was mounted at /media/READER)
Clicked on Check File System
Re-mounted the volume
Started calibre, which got both the device information and list of books without any errors.

This might be useful to anyone else using Ubuntu.

I don't know why checking the file system via Terminal didn't seem to fix the problem, whereas Ubuntu's inbuilt version did, but certainly I'm glad that I didn't have to format the internal memory, again!

Thanks for everyone's help :~)

Last edited by boxcorner; 04-20-2011 at 04:07 AM.