Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
mickeyfinn
Banned
mickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Is $90 for a new 350sc a good deal?

That's the question:

All I want is a good ereader I can side load to.
mickeyfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
It's a good deal!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
It's an awesome deal!
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfinn View Post
That's the question:

Are you kidding me? Heck even at 90 british pounds, it's a remarkable deal!
But where on earth is it going for $90?

Last edited by Fortissimo; 03-31-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It's a fantastic price, even if it's without a warranty. But it sounds like you get a warranty also.

I'm going to guess someone bought one and is selling it unused for that price?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Brian M
Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: PRS-950
Good deal... I've seen a few NIB but "used" (pre-owned) for $70, though that was right after Christmas too.
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
That is a fantastic deal! The 350 is pretty much my ideal device for reading fiction, and it renders non-fiction PDFs surprisingly well, considering its small size.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
That's the question:

OMG! Yes, that is a wonderful price! Where did you find a new one so cheap?
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
mickeyfinn
Banned
mickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enough

There seems to be a general consensus that $90 is a "steal" on the 350.

What precisely is so good about the 350 compared to other readers? I've never owned an ereader and was leaning towards a nook wi-fi.

But if I can save myself $60 by buying a 350, I'm all for that.

So again, why will it be such a good deal?

Thank you and please forgive my ignorance.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:

What precisely is so good about the 350 compared to other readers? I've never owned an ereader and was leaning towards a nook wi-fi.

Well, it really boils down to personal preference, but here are the reasons I love the PRS-350:

The Pearl screen with much better contrast (only the Sony and Kindle have it, as far as I know)

Small and light, very portable

12 onboard dictionaries (I often read in foreign languages

Intuitive touch-screen interface

Solid metal build

Supports a variety of formats, including .epub, so that I can read library books for free on it, .rtl, so I can dump my school notes on it, and the PDF rendering is surprisingly good for such a small screen. Many of my PDF documents reflow to a nice size with no problem, and I can pan and scan scanned PDFs (not the best option, but it's nice to have it). Some scanned PDFs reflow as well.

Can read in landscape mode.

Can take hand-written and typed annotations.

The higher dpi means that it's screen is very crisp and clear, it is even crisper than the PRS-650 and 950.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Apart from what other s say, for a quality ereader, it's way below normal selling price but if wi-fi is important to you then forget it...

Quote:

elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
mickeyfinn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Apart from what other s say, for a quality ereader, it's way below normal selling price but if wi-fi is important to you then forget it...
That is the ONLY thing holding me back. I think I might enjoy the wifi aspect of the nook.

How is the browser on the nook wifi? Mostly I'd just "google" with it.

I guess I should go to the nook folks with that question since this is the sony forum.

This has all been very useful to me and I thank you one and all. I will coninue to monitor this thread for more input.

Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
Brian M
Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: PRS-950
FWIW, after the first time of "how's this work" for wifi and 3-g, I have not turned it back on one single time. Browsing with it is tedious and frustrating at best, I doubt I'll ever turn it back on again. I know there are some out there who use it lots, and I knew I wouldn't ahead of time... just turned out to be true.

FWIW, there's a pink NIB 350 in Denver for $100 on craigslist.
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
mickeyfinn,
where did you find the 350 for that price? I might beat you to it.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
If you compare a Nook and a PRS-350 you do have to connect the 350 to load books to it. BUT, you need to do that with the Nook as well for books you don't buy from B&N.
If battery time is important to you the Nook will probably have to be charged 4 times (or more) in the time the 350 goes on one charge.
Both are really good readers though. I have both and really like them both! I actually find the Nook more comfortable for "couch reading" but the 350 is pretty hard to beat for portability.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote