Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
JaneStarr
JaneStarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (DH's)
Hi from CT

Hello,
My name is Jane and I recently bought my DH, Ray, a Kindle2 for Father's Day. (Unfortunately, more than a month before Amazon reduced the price by $60)
I was just googling "free Kindle Books" and came across this site.

My Mom was had better timing than me. She had me order my brother a Kindle2 for his July 5th birthday. Since the order was shipped w/in 30 days of the price reduction, I contacted Amazon and they promptly refunded the difference. I *did* try to ask for my own refund, but no dice -- understandle but frustrating considering how long I waited to order.

Jane
JaneStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets
bmfrosty began at the beginning.

Device: Hanline V3 (current) Hanlin V5 (future)
Welcome Jane, and welcome to the forums.

If you're looking for free kindle books, I can think of three or four places that you can readily download free titles. Manybooks.net and feedbooks.com cover mostly books that have entered the public domain, and books that have been licensed under creative commons. Baen Books' webscription.net also maintains a free library - mostly books that they'll sell you sequels too. You can also find titles that are out of copyright here under the 'books' pulldown menu at the top. I'm sure there are some that I'm forgetting, but those should make for a good start.
bmfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Jane and welcome to MobileRead. Although I live in VA, I graduated from Old Lyme High and UCONN (LONG before eBooks were around)
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneStarr View Post
... more than a month before Amazon reduced the price by $60 ...
Welcome to MR, Jane.

That's always the way it is with technology: you can always wait a month and something bigger, or faster, or cheaper, or more feature-rich will come down the pipe. At some point, if you're going to buy in, you just have to make the decision to go with the best you can find now. When the better product comes out later, you just have to tell yourself you're happy with the choice you made.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi Jane and welcome to MobileRead. Although I live in VA, I graduated from Old Lyme High and UCONN (LONG before eBooks were around)
Welcome to MobileRead (feels odd to type that since I am relatively new also).

My husband and I are also UCONN graduates ('79, '81, '85) - actually we met and married (in grad school) while living in our first home in Ashford, CT and studying/working at UCONN. He is from Greece which explains why we live here now! I have wonderful memories of the UCONN area.

Grew up many years in CT also ... also LONG before eBooks!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Welcome to MobileRead (feels odd to type that since I am relatively new also).

My husband and I are also UCONN graduates ('79, '81, '85) - actually we met and married (in grad school) while living in our first home in Ashford, CT and studying/working at UCONN. He is from Greece which explains why we live here now! I have wonderful memories of the UCONN area.

Grew up many years in CT also ... also LONG before eBooks!
I went to UCONN so long ago, I lived in the Jungle (Baldwin Hall). Do they still even call it The Jungle?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Memory fault

Quote:
I went to UCONN so long ago, I lived in the Jungle (Baldwin Hall). Do they still even call it The Jungle?
I remember "The Jungle", but I never lived there. No idea if it is still called that. When did you graduate?

I lived under-grad in in an all-girls dorm (Shippee Hall?) on the edge of campus. Then the grad dorms until I moved off campus to Mansfield apts and eventually (and after a few years in the Boston-area) to Ashford - where we bought our first chalet-style house in 1984 for all of $50,000 with 5% down payment!

I spent many years at UCONN: 4 years undergraduate, 2 years graduate and then I worked 1 year in a research lab in the CS dept while DH completed his Ph.D. Yes, a long time ago.

Brings back memories....
Old 07-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

I graduated in '66. The Jungle was all male in those days. The women lived either across campus or in dorms on a hill about a mile east of the Jungle.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
dissonantcog
dissonantcog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
just getting my 1st post out of the way
dissonantcog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Hi dissonantcog and welcome to MobileRead
Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #11
rgeorg
Guru

Before my time!

Quote:
I graduated in '66. The Jungle was all male in those days. The women lived either across campus or in dorms on a hill about a mile east of the Jungle.
Guess you were long gone before I got to UCONN. I have a friend who told me that UCONN has been completely over-hauled in the past 10-15 years due largely to the success of the Huskies (influx of funds). I'd probably be totally lost on campus now.

I've always felt that I received a wonderful education there, even though I originally chose it largely because of in-state tuition.

Well - thanks for the "walk through memory lane!"

--- sorry to have digressed on this thread....
Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to Mobileread, Jane and dissonantcog!

Jane, I feel your pain when it comes to not getting that discount! MoetheCat is correct, though, when you are buying technology, you have to figure the price will drop as soon as you buy it!

Check out the free ebooks the you can download here at MR and don't be shy about asking questions. We have wonderfully helpful members who are happy to give advice!

dissonantcog, why don't you start your own Intro thread so that we can welcome you properly?!

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Welcome aboard! You will find lots of Kindle-eers here on MR. (or is that Kindle-ers? lol)
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Jane, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome blocks.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	32267 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #15
JaneStarr
JaneStarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (DH's)
UConn is not Off-topic at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I remember "The Jungle", but I never lived there. No idea if it is still called that. When did you graduate?

I lived under-grad in in an all-girls dorm (Shippee Hall?) on the edge of campus. Then the grad dorms until I moved off campus to Mansfield apts and eventually (and after a few years in the Boston-area) to Ashford - where we bought our first chalet-style house in 1984 for all of $50,000 with 5% down payment!

I spent many years at UCONN: 4 years undergraduate, 2 years graduate and then I worked 1 year in a research lab in the CS dept while DH completed his Ph.D. Yes, a long time ago.

Brings back memories....
My DH & I met while at UConn back in 1978! We were in Crandall C dorm in South Campus. South Campus was long ago bull-dozed and rebuilt.
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Jane
JaneStarr is offline   Reply With Quote