Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #31
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
A recent discovery: Faith by John Love

Don't know if it fits your time-frame, but Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Thanks for that

Faith by John Love and Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany should keep me amused for a while

Followed by The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
Thanks for that

Faith by John Love and Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany should keep me amused for a while

Followed by The Road by Cormac McCarthy

In thinking about this now, they are all very different sorts of novels/stories...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #33
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sci-fi: Alastair Reynolds, Paolo Bagicalupi
Fantasy: Joe Abercrombie, George R.R Martin
Both: Richard K. Morgan
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #34
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
just rereading malazan empire gardens of the moon after a long time.have forgotten a few parts but it still is awesome!
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #35
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Fantasy - wise, I'd recommend Raymond Feist's Riftwar series. Start with Magician and go from there. Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series is good too, and if you've not read Tolkien yet, it's time.

For sci-fi, I'd recommend Niven & Pournelle's Mote in God's Eye and Peter Hamiltons Night's Dawn trilogy as starters. I could rattle off dozens but I'm on my phone and those are some of my all time favourites.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #36
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am going to read game of thrones after my malazan reread.hope that game of thrones is a good book.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #37
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
Well the granddaddy of fantasy is Tolkien of course, gotta love The Lord of the Rings.
Most definitely. I'd also recommend the Narnia books written by C.S. Lewis who shared a writing group with Tolkien (if out in ebook).
The Exiles Trilogy by Bova (via Amazon)
is a good read as is City at Worlds End by Edmund Hamilton (available via manybooks)

Leigh Brackett's works are good though I don't know how much of her work is out on ebook yet (she was married to Hamilton) her "Book of Skaith" is a good read.

Warp Speed and the Quantum Connection by Travis Taylor are good (through Baen & 5th imperium)

I don't know if they are out in ebook format but I'd also add Dragon's Egg and Starquake by Robert L. Forward

And The Sands of Mars by Arthur C. Clarke (if it's out in ebook)

Of course there are a number of good ebooks of fantasy and sci fi here at MR too. The Mars books by Burroughs, the Oz books by Baum and the Alice in Wonderland books just to name a few.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #38
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
Fantasy and sci-fi together? So you want 10 books about space dragons and guys with plasma swords?
For the two together, try Piers Anthony's Adept series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
now that you mention the lord of the rings,should i read the hobbit first or directly go to the lord of the rings?
Read LotR first, he was a much better writer when he wrote it. Then, when you read The Hobbit, your desire to learn the back story will help you past the slow parts.

Quote:
I am going to read game of thrones after my malazan reread.hope that game of thrones is a good book.
I'm not as enthralled by Game of Thrones as everybody else. I thought it was just, meh.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #39
leezer3
Enthusiast
leezer3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
For the two together, try Piers Anthony's Adept series.
As a personal opinion, these start off promisingly, then go to pot around book three or so.
The final book is frankly iffy as hell, the multiple personalities/ bodies thing was an interesting concept, but it really wasn't handled very well.

Game of Thrones is good, but IMHO he went far too far with the anyone can die concept. Alright killing off one or two main characters, but he seems to do it with depressing regularity just because he can.
It also suffers from the way the final two books (At the moment) were split- Having two books dealing with basically the same timeperiod was a mistake.

-Leezer-
leezer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Dan Simmons - Hyperion. The entire cantos.
I've read the first two in the series. Both very good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Looking for the top ten, here are two of them in the fantasy category...

J.R.R. Tolkien with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings

That leaves only eight books left.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #42
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

Ummm. Have finished the fellowship of the ring and hallway through the two towers. But I am telling you I am not trying to be rude or anything but the lord of the ring looks like a child fairytale compare to the malazan book of the fallen or even the inheritance cycle i.e eragon, eldest, brisingr, inheritance. the lord of the rings might be a great book, but I don't know why I am not enjoying it. sorry lord of the ring fans, hope you don't kill me for this!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #43
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
But I am telling you I am not trying to be rude or anything but the lord of the ring looks like a child fairytale compare to the malazan book of the fallen or even the inheritance cycle i.e eragon, eldest, brisingr, inheritance.
Don't blaspheme.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #44
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

@iphinome actally I am not blaspheming, lord of the rings alone doesn't seem to have the thrill,sense of adventure,fights. As many people recommend it, I had high expectations, but I am let down. Do you think the return of the king is better if yes then I will tell my thoughts after reading it. I know I shouldn't judge a series that I haven't even completed.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #45
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
@iphinome actally I am not blaspheming, lord of the rings alone doesn't seem to have the thrill,sense of adventure,fights. As many people recommend it, I had high expectations, but I am let down. Do you think the return of the king is better if yes then I will tell my thoughts after reading it. I know I shouldn't judge a series that I haven't even completed.
Don't know about thrill, sense of adventure; but there's definitely a decent sort of fight in Return of the King.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote