Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Fox: How to Get Free eBooks

On Fox News' webpage today there is a photo headlined "How to Get Free eBooks". However, when you click on the link, the article's headline is "How to Borrow eBooks from the Library".

I post this not because I expect anyone here to learn anything, but because I thought some would be interested to see what the general public reads about eBooks.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...ntcmp=features
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #2
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I think there would be more people just pirating the books, rather than getting them from the library.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I post this not because I expect anyone here to learn anything, but because I thought some would be interested to see what the general public reads about eBooks.
The breathless tone is straight out of infomercials and basic cable ads.
And like them, the article illustration features a real "state of the art" product.

Even worse, for many around here, they hilighted just how much simpler it is to check out library books with Kindles. Although I suspect at least some kindle users are going to be disappointed, trying to check out books that are "now already lent out".
Quote:
When you find one you want, you will need to make sure it is now already lent out. Libraries don't have limitless digital copies to lend out. Much like real books, if someone else has it checked out, you've got to wait your turn.
Obviously, they come from the "anybody can report on anything" school of newsreader "journalism" that populates all the mainstream media outlets.

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-02-2012 at 08:34 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The breathless tone is straight out of infomercials and basic cable ads.
And like them, the article illustration features a real "state of the art" product.

Even worse, for many around here, they hilighted just how much simpler it is to check out library books with Kindles. Although I suspect at least some kindle users are going to be disappointed, trying to check out books that are "now already lent out".

Obviously, they come from the "anybody can report on anything" school of newsreader "journalism" that populates all the mainstream media outlets.
There is a reason Jason Blair was invited to teach on ethics in Journalism at Washington and Lee University. The reason is: he is what the profession desires. "Sorry the public made us fire you; keep doing what you were doing."
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I found out about borrowing digital media from an article just like this. After reading the article, I contacted my library and was granted access to Overdrive. It hasn't really worked out for me (for the reasons cited in this article), but I got access. This sounds like another way for people to borrow e-books and that sounds good to me.

I don't really understand the negative responses. People do not have to be experts to report on something that interests them. If a mechanical engineer with an archaic e-reader discovers e-lending, is he supposed to not discuss the find because he is not properly credentialed? What is the proper credential for talking about e-readers? 1000 posts on MR? 10k karma?

A lot of people got ereaders for Christmas and there are reports that many of these are underutilized. Hopefully, this and similar TV reports will encourage the owners to visit their librarian and maybe start reading digital books.

How is that a bad thing?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I don't really understand the negative responses.
I took them to be negative to Fox News, not GA Russell.

Fox News: "News flash! You can borrow books from the library! In other news, scientists have discovered that you can actually drink water; it's not just for showering!"
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Fox News: "News flash! You can borrow books from the library! In other news, scientists have discovered that you can actually drink water; it's not just for showering!"
Now you have me thinking of amusing but true headlines about water that could be written.

Attention Hippies: Water Is Not Just For Drinking!

Your Drinking Water Is Contaminated With The Same Heavy Water Used In Nuclear Reactors
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:

Great. More of this. Pretense knows no restraints in some circles. Turns out there ARE people -- NICE people -- who do not know how to get books for their readers. Let's hope they stumbled across OPs story before the other replies.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
want free books? just write 'em yourself, ya dummy.

xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:

There are many people, bright, intelligent, well qualified and experienced people, who are either not technically minded or have no interest in the minutiae of technical setup to whom this would be interesting news. I have one particular person in mind whose academic and professional qualifications and business expertise I would happily put up against anyone on this forum but whom I have had to assist in just about anything to do with computers or technology for years. And another whom you would be very grateful to have at your side if you had a medical emergency but who is in the same position technically.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
This must be a slow news day.

edited--
Oh, no! It is just the usual noise from Fox detractors.

It might be of interest to some that Fox has 50% more viewers than MSNBC and CNN together.

Last edited by SeaKing; 06-02-2012 at 06:14 PM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Uh, guys: the point is the Fox article is riddled with sloppy errors and dated information.
Yes, it's good to pass on the word that libraries have ebooks to lend.
But if you're going to write about library ebooks you should know enough to know that Kindle is no longer the only one that can get them direct from the library. (Sony for one can do it. Any Android tablet or iPxx, too.)

It isn't a FOX-specific issue at all; just that a lot of media outlets tend to think regurgitated press releases or faintly veiled advertising can substitute for actual technology reporting. A local TV station near me has a weekly "technology" segment on their News shows. They bring in the Sony regional marketting rep to present the latest Sony products as they breathlessly watch the demo.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I don't really understand the negative responses.
I agree with what you're saying, especially since it is filed under the Gadgets section. This section isn't terribly different from a newspaper's Health or Travel section since mostly about topical information than news. (Granted, I find the tendency of these sections to stray towards infomercials to be grating.)
Old 06-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
But if you're going to write about library ebooks you should know enough to know that Kindle is no longer the only one that can get them direct from the library.
Huh, Kindle was a latecomer to library lending.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Those who consistently rush to a particular news outlet's defense are just as annoying as those who need to be the first to detract. Both of those positions are overfilled—not to mention interchangeable and disposable.

I, on the other hand, despise all corporate news outlets equally.

This particular news item?? Definitely outdated and not all that useful, but not utterly ridiculous. Pretty much par for the course for any of the big boys, I'd say.

Quote:
Huh, Kindle was a latecomer to library lending.
Yes, but for a brief moment, the Kindle was the only device able to borrow library books without needing a computer to download/transfer. Not true anymore of course, but I think "direct from the library" was the only point being addressed right there. But I won't pretend to speak for someone else.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-02-2012 at 06:46 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote