Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Apple of Discord in China

More Apple troubles in China

“incomparable arrogance."

The chief executive of Apple, Timothy D. Cook, on Monday issued a letter of apology – in Chinese – over the company’s warranty policies.

Last edited by frahse; 04-01-2013 at 07:25 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
redcat
redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.redcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: half a dozen
The ghost of Steve Jobs must be prowling and howling "I never apologized to anyone!"
redcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #3
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post

“incomparable arrogance."

The chief executive of Apple, Timothy D. Cook, on Monday issued a letter of apology – in Chinese – over the company’s warranty policies.
Apple has sold honor for almight dollar
has lost reputation and lost dignity and this in China!

Chinese see and think "no honesty" that Apple is braggart swindler

“Where is there dignity unless there is honesty?”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
The ghost of Steve Jobs must be prowling and howling "I never apologized to anyone!"
*I* assume he was cremated. And with that, I imagine the ashes starting to re-form as the i1000 to come back and start wreaking havoc on things.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
Elysium
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
*I* assume he was cremated. And with that, I imagine the ashes starting to re-form as the i1000 to come back and start wreaking havoc on things.
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #6
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
The Chinese press is loving this. They will go after any foreign company that does anything they perceive as wrong in order to deflect the constant criticism they face over everything.

That said, I took my Apple iPhone 4 into the Apple shop in Shanghai three months ago to get it fixed, since a weird brown spot appeared under the screen. They replaced the entire phone, except for the back plate. I assumed that this was the same for every country but reading about this, it seemed that in other countries, they simply replace the entire phone. Now, it is no big deal (other than the back of my phone is in rougher shape than the front) but the Chinese are extremely sensitive to this kind of stuff. Any hint that they are being treated differently because it is China is not taken lightly. Of course, the reverse is fair game. Sometimes you can see the dollar signs flashing under their eyes when they realize that a foreigner might buy something.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Isn't China also the capital of the pirated software and DVD market?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:44 AM   #8
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
That's not all they pirate...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14503724
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:21 AM   #9
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
only leftist South American countries act worse to for foreign business operation

I do not go to those places.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #10
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I am not even sure where to buy legal DVDs or software.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It just seems like the pot calling the kettle black for China to complain about warranties not being long enough when there is so much pirate goods running round over there from what I've heard.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
It just seems like the pot calling the kettle black for China to complain about warranties not being long enough when there is so much pirate goods running round over there from what I've heard.
A few things to keep in mind:

The people complaining about Apple's treatment of them may not be the pirates. (Keep in mind, we have words to describe people who make assumptions about all people from a culture.)

Values vary from place to place, and they take a long time to change. It sounds like piracy is declining in China as they become more dependent upon international trade. But shifts like that take a long time because you are trying to move entire societies rather than individual people. (Also keep in mind that copyrights, patents, and trademarks probably didn't mean as much until the doors to trade opened wide.)

Finally, I wouldn't put much weight on the U.S. government's piracy watch lists. They have been known to use those watch lists to place political pressure on countries with laws that they disagree with, even though there is no reason to believe that those foreign nations have piracy rates that are higher than those in the U.S..
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Some good points BWinmill. I'm not trying to say everyone over in China is into pirate products or something, just that it has been in the news here and elsewhere in the past. I've never bought from Apple either so I don't know much about their policies (aside from what I read in forums like MR). Things are rarely black and white anywhere.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
Jobszilla rising from the sea?

I am somewhat torn on this.

On the one hand it doesn't hurt to see Apple being pulled from its high horse and their warranty isn't the best anyway.
On the other hand there seems to be a tendency in China to attack foreign companies that seem to be too successful or just for political reasons. Volkswagen as the market leading car manufacturer was attacked in the state media and Japanese companies became the victims of nationalist agitation in China just for being Japanese.
I believe it is high time to get tougher with China. No more open access to Western markets unless access to China is equally open.

Last edited by CommonReader; 04-06-2013 at 07:57 PM.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
It isn't just China. There are quite a few countries who have similar laws regarding warranty, Australia is one. Apple has quietly increased warranty to two years here, but theres no way they are making it public. However, if you know your consumer law, and go to Apple with an issue within that two year period, they will do the repairs (or replacement). This only changed a few weeks back. I'd say China has been watching.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote