Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #46
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSqrt View Post
WOW! You have your panties in a bunch. You take your opinion and I'll take mine. If it wasn't for the book Enders Game I would have missed out on many years of reading because until I read that book I had the opinion that reading was about as much use as the drivel that you linked to in your post.
I've read all the Ender Wiggins books (and lots more of his books, too) and in fact have been reading the recent comic adaptations of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. Card the writer is decent. But Card the human being is a repugnant, despicable slimeball (or a misogynistic homophobic wanker.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #47
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Papa, I have little tolerance for the sort of statements OSC has made in the past, or the rather heavy-handed propaganda in his more recent books. I recommend Ender's Game, because I consider it well written, but nothing else of his and certainly not his blog.

(I don't care if, say, a musician is snorting crack and I'll quite happily recommend Philip K. Dick, but I don't have time for intolerance)

And I'd point out that the current big content companies are trying to get the government to legislate protection for their old business models.

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 03-26-2010 at 11:41 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #48
PapaSqrt
PapaSqrt began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
Ah, and this is where we differ. I disagree with things that are said by OSC as well as many other people at times, but since I believe that they are entitled to have, speak, and write their opinion without vilification, I don’t name call or label people for their words. Now actions are another thing. If someone commits a crime against someone else because their beliefs are different, then the offender has, in my opinion, has vilified himself or herself.
PapaSqrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #49
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Nuts. Free speech means just that - he's entitled to spew homophobic crap, and I'm free to vilify him for doing so.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #50
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSqrt View Post
Ah, and this is where we differ. I disagree with things that are said by OSC as well as many other people at times, but since I believe that they are entitled to have, speak, and write their opinion without vilification
As DawnFalcon just said, I disagree. "Freedom of speech" is NOT the same thing as "freedom from being judged by your speech." People who say vile things and think vile thoughts can and should be vilified.

http://blogs.feministsf.net/?p=1273

Last edited by ardeegee; 03-27-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: to fix typo that changed meaning of statement
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #51
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Getting back to the topic, I don't believe that MacMillan lowered the price of The End of Eternity to $9.99 (since it's selling at B&N and Fictionwise for about $17.85), Amazon did. So it will be interesting to see if in April the price jumps up at Amazon to $15 or so, and drops at B&N and Fictionwise, or if MacMillan will continue to show its disinterest in seeing ebooks succeed as a book distribution channel by setting the price to match the hardback edition.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote