Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
PRS-505 is an UNRECOGNIZED USB DEVICE

When I first got my PRS-505, it worked as a card reader on every PC I tried it on. Lately, it has been an "UNRECOGNIZED USB DEVICE."

I've never installed the Sony S/W, and hope to not have to.

Any ideas?

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Go to Windows device manager and look for the unrecognised device (it'll show up as question mark). Delete it, then re-connect the 505. Hopefully it'll be OK then.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have any network drives? if so, disconnect them all and try replugging in the 505 and see if it recognizes it. Sometimes Windows wants to use a specific drive letter for removable media and if that drive letter is used by a network drive, it won't work well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
smaulz
smaulz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
Just had the same problem. The above mentioned fixes didn't work, so I tried reinstalling the sony library software/drivers, and that fixed the problem. HTH
smaulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sometimes Windows wants to use a specific drive letter for removable media and if that drive letter is used by a network drive, it won't work well.
Yeah, this is really a pain in the back
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2008, 05:31 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can use Disk Management section in Computer Management applet to reassign drive letters.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
When I first got my PRS-505, it worked as a card reader on every PC I tried it on. Lately, it has been an "UNRECOGNIZED USB DEVICE."

I've never installed the Sony S/W, and hope to not have to.

Any ideas?

Andy
Not sure if you were already able to fix your problem, but I remember I had a similar issue under Windows Vista a couple of months ago where it would not recognize most of my USB devices anymore (like Flash sticks). What happened was that the inf file responsible for detecting mass storage devices (C:\Windows\inf\usbstor.inf) got corrupted. I had to replace it with a good one to make it work again.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
serg.net
serg.net began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Lightbulb solution

I had the same problem. Have a solution on my blog!

Check it out:

http://sergcomments.blogspot.com/200...s-problem.html

serg.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Interesting find Serg! One worth clipping into Evernote! Thanks.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
500 drive letter?

I am running XP Pro SP3, and am pretty fluent in computereeze. (I manage our network, etc.)

I have been using the connect software without too much difficulty. It "sees" and communicates with my 500 fine, but when I look in "My Computer" or computer management, the reader isn't listed with a drive letter. I've got LOTS of available drive letters, the device manager says the reader is working properly, but I don't seem to be able to access the device directly from any Windows location.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger-j3 View Post
I am running XP Pro SP3, and am pretty fluent in computereeze. (I manage our network, etc.)

I have been using the connect software without too much difficulty. It "sees" and communicates with my 500 fine, but when I look in "My Computer" or computer management, the reader isn't listed with a drive letter. I've got LOTS of available drive letters, the device manager says the reader is working properly, but I don't seem to be able to access the device directly from any Windows location.
The PRS-500 does not mount as a "drive" (unlike the 505, which does). It's only visible to applications like "Connect" or "Calibre".
Old 09-21-2008, 02:23 AM   #12
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The PRS-500 does not mount as a "drive" (unlike the 505, which does). It's only visible to applications like "Connect" or "Calibre".

But 505 he talks about does
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, he's talking about a 500:

Quote:
It "sees" and communicates with my 500 fine, but when I look in "My Computer" or computer management, the reader isn't listed with a drive letter.
This is not the poster who started the original thread, which is indeed about a 505.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #14
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505

Thanks Harry. That explains my dilemma. I'd like to be able to view it as a drive, but it's not a big deal.

David
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #15
parsi
parsi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
Check your usb cable.

I got the same error when using a retractable USB cable (used for my Blackberry etc) and had no probs when I switched to an ordinary usb cable.
parsi is offline   Reply With Quote